Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How important is the push?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 8:07am
you can't loop every under spin ball especially if you are caught out of position so its better to push sometimes, it could be done with placements and with variations
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 9:02am
The push is a fundamental part of the short game and without it, you have a weakness that makes it easier for tactically better players, even of a lower level than yourself; to beat you.

Any player with a good short game, will usually beat you if you have a poor short game; because of the errors you make.

Without a good push, an opponent with a good push/chop can keep you pinned down by  keeping the ball short and using angles that prevent you from playing your natural  game. In that situation you'll need a plan B  to remain competitive and without a good push/chop; that limits your options..

That's why a good short game, which includes pushing and chopping, is so important. It can keep you competitive and provide chances for you to bring your natural game into play..
Pongology View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 9:06am
What's the best blade/rubber combination for a strong short game?
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Pongology Pongology wrote:

Rubbers: HARD or MEDIUM/HARd are best for pushing
Pongology View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 12:38pm
What about blade? Maybe soft for over the table looping?
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by melarimsa melarimsa wrote:

Originally posted by Pongology Pongology wrote:

Rubbers: HARD or MEDIUM/HARd are best for pushing

Yea, if you use a really soft rubber the ball will fly up with a no spin ball so you need the harder sponge to absorb and slow down the ball. Chinese rubbers are good for pushing ^^.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2008 at 5:12am
I am an offensive player and have a weaker pushing game. I find myself on the corner when I engaged myself in pushing game. So I try to initiate an aggresive loop whenever possible even from difficult positions.
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2008 at 5:29am
I can sometimes beat players way better than me because of my good short game and backhand loop(most players think that if they push to the backhand I can't loop it)I still need to work on my basics though.
michiganbob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiganbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2008 at 8:54am
I always used a push to the transition areas ie..right elbow, far right or left, counting on an attack to counter,  sometimes even pushing fast on the apex of the ball.  Players, normally play the same attack or defense and dont change style or tactics to win untill its too late. ??PUSH??  is the way alot of EUROPEANS play....or did you forget Waldner
PEACE  gig
Blade: yasaka ma lin soft carbon
rubber: LKT rapid sound 755 ox

saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2008 at 9:24am
One thing I came up with since my push is bad is to do fake wrist movement. I  start to make a push for forehand, wait for the last moment and suddenly change it to backhand side. This sometimes produces marvel.
Cyrilix View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrilix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2008 at 11:25am
I hear a lot about pushes for controlling the short game, but what about against long serves that still have backspin? In these cases, I find it harder push accurately, since you have to be more careful in reading the spin (although I could just try to loop off of the serve, but that's not consistent either).
Counterlooper View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Counterlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2008 at 12:02pm
I guess you'd have to try whats better for you. If that happened to me then I would try a small loop. Might not be very fast but for me its quite spinny. Hope it helps.
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2008 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Cyrilix Cyrilix wrote:

I hear a lot about pushes for controlling the short game, but what about against long serves that still have backspin? In these cases, I find it harder push accurately, since you have to be more careful in reading the spin (although I could just try to loop off of the serve, but that's not consistent either).

I am always looking for it and loop attack it right away. Believe it, if you do this a couple of times, they won't dare serve long to you.
Cyrilix View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrilix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2008 at 12:01am
Originally posted by saif saif wrote:

I am always looking for it and loop attack it right away. Believe it, if you do this a couple of times, they won't dare serve long to you.

Interesting, I will try this tactic!
Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2008 at 9:38am
Originally posted by saif saif wrote:

I always have trouble looping with the forehand so i usually chop it short when it comes to my FH but loop it when it comes 2 my BH, I'm still working on my FH loop.
jlwckc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlwckc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2008 at 10:39am
the reason why i lose matches cos of pushing ::) thats how important it is
Dream set up.
Hurricane King
Tenergy 05
Rapid Sound
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic