Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using a grip wrap? pro/con?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AL_in_MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AL_in_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using a grip wrap? pro/con?
    Posted: 11/13/2008 at 2:12pm
I have been using a grip wrap for about 4 years now, after trying it from a partner's recommendation. I use a tacky tennis racket grip and cut it to size. The experience has been totally positive, found it increased my control, nice firm feeling in the hand, does not slip when sweaty. Also I have not noticed any downside in terms of sensitivity or touch, although there is a slight dampening effect compared to gripping the bare wood.

I play in one small club and one good-sized club, and have noticed that very few other plays use a grip wrap, and  I am interested in the opinions others may have on the pros/cons of using a grip wrap. I notice many pro tennis players use them, but few table tennis players seem to.

Thoughts or comments welcome, especially from those who have experimented with this.
Sponsored Links

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2008 at 2:27pm
I used to get blisters on my palm. This was a problem when I was playing badminton too. I have used all kinds of overgrips. The problem is that when you use an overgrip, you lose the touch with the blade. I don't use it because I manuever my paddle a lot and it gives me a lot of control if I dont use any overgrip.

I occassionally use Dr.Neubauer Combi blade which has a very soft handle. To keep the handle clean as well as to get a hard feeling, I use gauze overgrip. They are very thin and can throw away after a use. A roll will run for at least 10 - 15 paddles, and it is only less than $5.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2008 at 2:28pm

AL.....I have been using them for awhile now.   All positive for me!   I like the feel because I use 5py wood blades mostly.  So the extra slight dampening is not a prob with feel to me. 

I used to use tennis grip type one.....Prince wrap.   But I have just started using the Butterfly grip wraps (ya...expensive at about $5 per 1) and they are slightly lighter and much better feeling to me. 

The decreased sweat adding to the nastyness of the handle is cool,  just clean with rubber cleaner if needed. 

I dont like to play without one now.  
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2008 at 3:00pm
I've been using tourna-grip for about 5 years. It adds a nice feel to the blade and I don't lose my grip since I don't change the way I hold the blade from FH to BH. It also adds a cleaner look to the blade.
I cut the tourna-grip in half length-wise btw.

jl 
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
AL_in_MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AL_in_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2008 at 3:26pm
Thanks for the suggestion on the Butterfly grip, I will definitely check that out. I have been using a Prince or Wilson tacky grip, and they work fine, cleaning with water and keeping it wrapped with a plastic bag or handiwrap when not it use helps keep it tacky, and it lasts for about 6 months.
If the Butterfly gives better feel  because it is lighter or thinner, it would be worth the extra cost, I will give it a whirl.
Thanks again,
Al
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2008 at 6:36pm
I have been using Yonex badminton overgrip.  It does not contain any adhesive, so it will not ruin your handle.  It is a bit grippy so when you wrap the handle, it sticks to itself and provides secure grip.  It is also cheap and you can use it for months until you think that it looks bad and replace it with new one.  It will add about 1 - 2 grams to your overall set-up.  But I just use overgrip to cover thin and slim handle, or to add more weight to my low weight paddles.  Otherwise, I prefer to play as it is.
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2008 at 9:52pm
I use it to cover the lead on my handle. People say it looks like a mess, I personally think it looks very customised. 
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2008 at 7:16pm
I used a grip for a while, since my hands are small and i have problems finding the right handle.

What i ended up doing was sanding down my TBS FL to a ST, making the handle even smaller. I am now able to perfectly rotate my gripping of the handle to make small adjustments, that i wasn't able to before. I'll never go back to using a grip i think.
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2008 at 2:39am
i started using grip after my coaches recommendation to help prevent the return of tennis elbow,he said that adding grip to handle opens the fingers a little so you don`t have to grip so hard,he was right i have had no problem since,the butterfly overgrip is the best i  have tried,it is thin,very soft and is the exact length for the blade that you need(cheap at presports) i have also found it helps me to twiddle
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2008 at 3:11am
works very well on nittaku manufactured blades.may be i change the properties of the blade a bit,but i can not hold the racket comfortably otherwise.2-4 extra gram add some weight and the blade becomes more balanced close to the handle.i did not have to do thist with butterfly blades...whatever is comfortable,i guess

i bought butterfly black grip tape and used it on both of my violins-work beautifully
junbei View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junbei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2008 at 3:26am
I'm going to grab an tennis overgrip at the local sports store tomorrow and would like to know which would be best suited for table tennis minus the weight factor: absorbent, grooved, or tacky? I have major sweaty palms so I was thinking of going with the absorbent but it looks a little thick.

soco7891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soco7891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2008 at 9:34am
If you're looking for something thin, you're best bet would be tourna grip. Their regular grips are thin and absorbent. They also have tackier grips which are thinner than brands like wilson, head and prince also. I used to use tourna grip for my tennis rackets but right now I'm using head overgrip since I wanted to try something new and it came in a big bundle. I just put head overgrip on my table tennis racket but I haven't had a chance to try it out. I think gamma would be a good brand too for table tennis rackets because it's thin and tacky...but I never liked them on my tennis rackets. Overall though, all the grips are going to be the same when you use them on a table tennis racket as opposed to a tennis racket where more friction is produced.
[Blade:Galaxy W6 CPEN/ FH: Reactor Thunder 3S 2.2/ BH:Dawei Super Power 2008 XP]
[Dawei GTS/Mercury on Lightning/CJ8000 on Lightning]
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2008 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by soco7891 soco7891 wrote:

If you're looking for something thin, you're best bet would be tourna grip. Their regular grips are thin and absorbent. They also have tackier grips which are thinner than brands like wilson, head and prince also. I used to use tourna grip for my tennis rackets but right now I'm using head overgrip since I wanted to try something new and it came in a big bundle. I just put head overgrip on my table tennis racket but I haven't had a chance to try it out. I think gamma would be a good brand too for table tennis rackets because it's thin and tacky...but I never liked them on my tennis rackets. Overall though, all the grips are going to be the same when you use them on a table tennis racket as opposed to a tennis racket where more friction is produced.

Are you talking about the one you cut from a roll and throw after the use? It is made of light cotton.
soco7891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soco7891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2008 at 11:31pm
Sorry for the late post, I've been swamped with my classes. Umm...they have those available but you can buy ones that are pre-cut. Most of the big rolls are already pre-cut. I know the head overgrips I bought were. I'm not so sure about the materials, I believe the original tourna grip is cotton mesh. The tourna grip ones are the purple tennis overgrips. Most of the other overgrips are white and are made of a different materials I believe (more tacky). And yes, you throw them away after you've used it but since it's a table tennis racket were talking about, a 3 pack (what most brands come in) will last you awhile since just one strip is quite long. The tourna grips come in 2 sizes (length wise), but you don't need to worry about that because it's going to be used on a table tennis racket. When I use an overgrip on regular tennis rackets, I usually replace them every 2 weeks or less when I play a lot, and every 3-4 when I play occasionally. Probably one 3 pack will last you more than 2 months. In terms of thickness: Wilson>Prince>Head>Gamma>Tourna grip. In terms absorbancy (sweat) Wilson>Tourna>Head>Prince>Gamma. The Wilson, Gamma, Prince,and Head grips will be equally tacky while the original tourna grip will be the least but still some what tacky. They have a tackier version of the tourna grip but I think the other 4 and the original are better. Also the price will range about 3-4 dollars for a 3 pack with the tourna grip being the cheapest (most of the time less than 3 dollars). Don't bother wasting money on table tennis brand grips because they're most likely the same except the prices. They also have a slip on one piece shrink grips from tourna grip you blow dry to shrink, which are also pretty nice. Sorry for the long post. Just my 2 cents. Oh also, when you put the grip on, if it's the regular wrap instead of the one piece, start from the top of the handle and work your way down, It'll look and feel more even. Enjoy Big%20smile
[Blade:Galaxy W6 CPEN/ FH: Reactor Thunder 3S 2.2/ BH:Dawei Super Power 2008 XP]
soco7891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soco7891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2008 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

Originally posted by soco7891 soco7891 wrote:

Are you talking about the one you cut from a roll and throw after the use? It is made of light cotton.

The grip you were talking about is made from tourna grip also but not as nice as the "original" purple one. The one I'm talking about is more tacky and absorbent.

Also, I took a look at the butterfly wraps and it's very similar to the tourna grip tacky grips. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same. The tourna grip tacky is lighter, thinner, and just as tacky as say Prince, Head or Wilson. The only difference is that it doesn't last as long but it will probably all be the same on a table tennis racket since less friction is made. The original tourna grip and tacky are two different grips. You guys might want to look at the tourna grip slip on grips, you can probably cut it in half to have 2 grips. It's thinner than over wraps and just as tacky. Check out http://www.tenniswarehouse.com for some different tennis over grips. You can buy most of these at your local sport stores.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic