Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What now?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What now?
    Posted: 01/05/2009 at 7:50am
I already know how to do these strokes properly:
  • Counterdrive(I'll call it Drive so I can save balls)
  • Push
  • Smash
  • Block
  • Flick + Banana flick
Playing Style:
I usually drive or smash the ball if it's hittable , I push the ball when I can't drive or smash it, I block my opponents power shots. I can already combine these strokes both FH & BH but usually FH with my footwork. Everything seems fine. So I'm probably a Hitter.
Now the problem is what do I do now?

Also Sriver seems to be more faster than Mark V but less spinier. Driving with Sriver was excellent. Mark V was slower but seem to produce spinny shots. So I'm guessing that Sriver is for driving and Mark V is for looping. I don't really like spinny shots but there's an exception on pushes and serving. What now?

Schedule:

Mondays to Thursday
2 Hours
  • 10 mins of FH to FH Counterdriving
  • 10 mins of BH to BH Counterdriving
  • 10 mins of FH to FH Push
  • 10 mins of BH to BH Push
  • 10 mins of Block to Drive
  • 10 mins of Drive to Block
  • 30 mins of Drills (Falkenberg,Multiball,3rd Ball Attack etc)
  • 30 mins of Service Practice
Friday to Saturday
4 hours
  • 20 mins of FH to FH Counterdriving
  • 20 mins of BH to BH Counterdriving
  • 20 mins of FH to FH Push
  • 20 mins of BH to BH Push
  • 20 mins of Block to Drive
  • 20 mins of Drive to Block
  • 90 mins of Drills (Falkenberg,Multiball,3rd Ball Attack etc)
  • 30 mins of Service Practice
Extra
  • Till I drop to the ground - Games with 21 points, 3 sets
  • Extra Time - Special Drills
"I train with Discipline and Don't complain about the time or the drills, All I want is to improve and have fun"
"If I can't beat the opponent, I firegun and murder him"

See you guys in the next life!...................
Sponsored Links

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 9:16am

I think I play a similar style to you. First thing you should do is getting rid of the Primorac Off-. I was actually using a similar combo a couple of years back. Primorac with Srivers both sides and I played my worst season ever. You should get something a little stiffer something like grubba carbon all+, waldner senso carbon, persson powerplay v2 or any medium stiff allwood or soft carbon blade. For Rubber I would recommend something hard with a (very) grippy topsheet. Boost TP 2.0-1.8, Tenergy 25 1.7-1.9, or Sriver G3 1.7-1.9 are excellent examples. Keep on mind these combo's are much faster and more direct than your current setup. You will notice your hitting and blocking will improve immediately, but the control might be a little sacrisfied.

Actually Hammond is the best inverted rubber for flat hitting and blocking, but it's uniquely non-spinny. So serves and pushes are not as spinny as with the above mentioned. But why need spinny serves if you like to smash.
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 9:26am
I have one question that is something out of topic. What are tensors? Do they have VOCs? I'll figure what equipment I'll use when I got the money. In the mean time I'll stick with Sriver twiddling.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 9:37am
the main thing you should do is getting rid of that Primorac blade, it's a pure loopers blade. For Butterfly I would look into the Schlager Precision it,s similar to primorac but the feel is quite a bit harder and it's much more stable.

Tensors are built in speed glue effect rubber from the German ESN factory.
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 9:42am
Are tensors like Butterfly's High Tune?
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by brytaku25 brytaku25 wrote:

Bty High tune is illegal, tensors are not (at least so far).
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 5:46pm

Butterfly's high tune is horrible rubber. You should not use it since it is a waste of money.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 6:26pm
I am a little confused because you're asking what to do next, but everyone suggests a different blade.... Hmm, I don't think you wanted equipment review, so I'll skip this charade. 

I think once you know how to smash and counterdrive ( I presume it is not a looping drive, but more of a blocking straight drive ), I would try to learn to spin the ball. I know you really don't like it, but if you want to advance, you'll need to learn this stroke.

My coach says this all the time. If you avoid learning and only learn what you like, you'll have to come back to it anyways, but you will loose lots of time learning the hard way that you should have acquired that skill years earlier. Stubbornness is counterproductive. I am not implying on changing your style if it works for you, but you should know how to deal with different opponents once they give you spin shots. Can't just drive everything right back.

I don't know what is your rating, but I would suggest to focus on these 3 things if you believe that you've mastered those strokes:

1. Serves -
2. 3rd ball attack ( or in your case 3rd ball kill or flush :) )
3. Service return

These will advance you farther. Learn how to serve and get your opponent to give you something that you can kill or drive.

In addition, I would continue working on blocking shots. Work with somebody who can give you a great loop, so you can learn to block stronger spin.

As far as equipment change, keep one thing in mind. If you go to a faster blade to hit faster, then you'll loose touch on your pushes and blocks!!! So make sure its a compromise you are willing to make.
Back to table tennis...
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 5:35am
If you don't like executing spinny shots and prefer hitting maybe consider short pips? I don't know but you could always whack a piece on a see how you play with it ;)
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 5:43am
Evil%20Smile Short Pimples.... wait are the long pimples evil or the short pimples?
Also I don't avoid anything. I can learn as long as I want to learn.
Can someone explain Tensors further?
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2009 at 7:09am
Everyone missed this?!
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2009 at 7:39am
coach plays sp on fh, every time he blocks, the ball comes back as a knuck ball with a  little backspin, its hard to keep consistent and hit those back against blocked sp.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2009 at 8:33am
One question. Does short pimps break?
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2009 at 8:44am
they break like any other pimples, my coach recently was whacking the ball extremely hard and the pips broke within days of his purchase
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

asyraf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asyraf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2009 at 8:45am
my friend play with it(short pimples). superb deffensive player..
Blade: TBS
FH: Sriver L 2.1mm
BH: Vega Europe Max
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2009 at 11:03am
Okay I switched back to Sriver. I figured I need to try something first before I say something. But when I improve, what do you think of Timo Boll Spirit with Srivers?

Off-Topic: I'm too lazy to post another thread but... Is it safe to glue (not speed glue) rubbers to blades in a non ventilated area? What are some rooms in the house that are ventilated? I heard every rubber has VOC on them and must be properly aired for at least 48 hours? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2009 at 11:13am
If its non-voc-glue your fine, rubbers prety much just smell bad.  The most ventilated room where I live is the balcony, lol.
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2009 at 11:44am
What about the rubbers, do they have VOC that needs to be removed by air?
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2009 at 10:42pm

But when I improve, what do you think of Timo Boll Spirit with Srivers?
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 3:40am
What does that mean?
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 6:17am

But when I improve, what do you think of Timo Boll Spirit with Srivers?
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 6:29am
dont think ahead too much, be solid with your game first. if you think too much of sriver this, schlager that, you wont be thinking about your own techniques and goals, but be more distracted wih equipment, a big no no in my eyes.

no "IF I or BUT", just do it
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 6:35pm

What does that mean?

Pay no attention to him what he is doing is called spam,  i'm going to ask this guy to coach me, problem is he works for OC transpo (Ottawa transit) and the F***ers are stricking right now and leaving the city in chaos
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2009 at 10:16am
Spam? I remember this guy who posted something. I think he deleted it.
" I'm a TT beast" or something like that.
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 10:47am
I'm thinking of replacing my BH with Sriver EL. The reason is that Sriver is a little bit hard for me. My BH shots lack control. Is it recommended? So my current setup when the rubber arrives is
FH: Sriver 2.1 mm
BH: Sriver EL 1.9 mm
Blade: Primorac
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2009 at 10:34pm
Also I'm only playing 3 days since I got a failing grade on my report card. Friday, Saturday and Sundays. Another additional question is how long will my Sriver and Sriver EL rubber last?
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2009 at 9:53am
If your BH lacks control using Primorac and Sriver it is purely because of your technique.

Keep the gear (Sriver EL 1.9 BH is fine)
Focus on the technique
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2009 at 11:59am
I'm sure my technique isn't the one because I trained my BH for a whole week. When I saw Sriver EL, I think it was calling me to be in my backhand. Same for Sriver. I don't know why but it just happens.
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 11:02am
My coach says that I play like Kong Linghui. After both of us watching a few videos, I agreed LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic