Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3rd Ball Attacks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lutareio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lutareio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3rd Ball Attacks
    Posted: 01/06/2009 at 11:51am
Can people list me 3rd ball attacks? I have a good backhand punch and would like to know some serves (preferably backhand) that will let me punch the return.
Sponsored Links

radical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 12:41pm
Fast flat serve to the elbow or armpit.  If you get the angle on the return then punch.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 1:00pm
Serve to his forehand short with right-to-left pendulum swing and underspin. If he pops it up to your left, kill it.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 3:43pm
I think he is asking what kind of a serve would be best for 3rd ball attack with a backhand....

I use a backhand pendulum with under spin/side spin motion spinning the ball to the left. Aimed at an elbow generally has good chance it will pop up.

Other spins may instead send the ball to the forehand, so you will be out of luck.
Back to table tennis...
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 4:29pm
Sidetop to the forehand or backhand, doesn't matter. It will pop up if he's not expecting it! And if it goes way too high just swat kill :D or just smash it forehand.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
acer800 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acer800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 5:52pm
oooo lalalala sounds very good, totoro. I personally do topspin with a tiny bit of side to confuse opponent and then forehand smash
You want A PERSONAL WEBSITE FOR SUPER CHEAP?
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22979&PN=1#269260
Lutareio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lutareio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 8:18pm
Thank you everybody for all your comments, they are very helpfull.

Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

I think he is asking what kind of a serve would be best for 3rd ball attack with a backhand....

I use a backhand pendulum with under spin/side spin motion spinning the ball to the left. Aimed at an elbow generally has good chance it will pop up.

Other spins may instead send the ball to the forehand, so you will be out of luck.

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Serve to his forehand short with right-to-left pendulum swing and underspin. If he pops it up to your left, kill it.

By the way is there some online tutorials or videos of players doing them? I would gladly appreciate the links!
seahorse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seahorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Lutareio Lutareio wrote:

Can people list me 3rd ball attacks? I have a good backhand punch and would like to know some serves (preferably backhand) that will let me punch the return.

I mix up some short backhand back spin serves with some no spin serves from the back hand court.
If the other player doesnt pick the no spin it usually pops up nice and high for a backhand punch! 
Donic Dicon (JO shape)
F: DNA Platinum M
B: Jekyll & Hyde 52.5
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by Lutareio Lutareio wrote:

Thank you everybody for all your comments, they are very helpfull.

Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

By the way is there some online tutorials or videos of players doing them? I would gladly appreciate the links!

Here is the training video with Schlager:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD02s8uTSzw.You can just search "pendulum serve" on youtube and you can find some videos.From about.com:http://tabletennis.about.com/od/howtoserve/ss/fhpend_bs_ss.htm. In this link, you can find photos, videos and information about all variations of the pendulum and other serves.
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2009 at 5:51am
use a bh underspin short serve to opponent's bh then loop it with your bh when it returns and then do bh punch
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Lutareio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lutareio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2009 at 6:18pm

Thanks for the links johnny89atc!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic