Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

My experience with my coach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kelvinator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My experience with my coach
    Posted: 04/30/2009 at 8:14pm
My 'first' lesson with my coach two years ago is still in my memory.  I told him that I would like to increase my accuracy of my stroke (especially smash) and learn how to attack with my backhand better.  I also asked him if I should switch to shakehand vesus learning how to use reverse backhand (I told him that I am afraid of my mobility because I am getting old).  At last, I told him that I am willing to learn from the bottom up (really basics stuff).

After hitting a few rounds, my coach suggested me to switch to the shakehand grip because of the range cover (mobility) and my 'bad' habit of the stroke.  By the way, my coach was using penhold grip when he played professionally, but switched to shakehand because of the mobility problem.  He said that the fundamentals (or the philosophy of ping pong - how to hit the ball) for shakehand and penhold are the same.  I remembered he told me that all the things I learnt for ping pong were "wrong".  As an example, I always thought that I should not apply too much force forward(sometimes none) because the ball will surely fly outside of the table.  However, he said that you have to apply the force forward to 'control' the placement of the ball returned.  This contradicted my logic at first because I thought if you apply large force forward, the ball will fly uncontrollably outside.  After trying several attempts, I noticed what he says is correct because when the incoming ball has some spins and you do not apply any force, the spin will control your return.  However, if you apply enough force, the ball will be controlled by your force (the placement affected less by the spin).  Of course, you have to adjust the angle of your paddle and ball flight period (rising, peak, dropping).

Due to the time constraint, I could only go to my coach once a week (two hour lesson).  I think I spent about 75% of time for my forehand stroke.  However, my backhand is much more consistent than my forehand.   He said that it is due to the fact that my forehand had some 'bad' habit in my muscle memory while I never really learnt backhand before.  He said that it is easier to teach someone who never play ping pong before than someone who has 'bad' habit.  So, what kinds of 'bad' habit do I have?  First, hit the ball sideway instead of forward
(I need to change the timing of hitting - also my waist need to turn).  Second, the ball has no curve (I need to learn how to 'snap the small forearm').

During these two years of training, I asked my coach a lot questions, and read a lot of different materials in various websites (e.g., mytabletennis.net, bokett.com, pingskills.com).  Also, watched a lot of different videos (including training and tournament videos in youtube).  Sometimes I thought -- why the video and some materials are different from what my coach taught (scratching my head).  Also, why my coach asks me to change how to hit again (did he said to hit it straight on, why now change it to curve inside?)?   After a while, I discovered that he sometimes asked me to do some stuff so that it can correct my old habit.  Thus, if you want the coaching works for you, listen to your coach!

For the last six months, I started learning how to loop (kind of late).  However, I read somewhere that it is better to learn how to do the 'closed table attack' before looping.   The reason why is that you can know how to correctly generate 'force'.  Also, one thing (as many of you already knew) is that there are two styles of looping - Chinese style and European style.  My coach always teaches me that I have to open the angle of my elbow (almost like a straight line) and snap it.  If you watch how Timo Boll or other European players loop, they do not open a large the angle of the elbow at all (kind of like a chicken wing).

Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2009 at 9:30pm
Dear Kelvinator,
I took the freedom to move your nice post to the coaching section and I hope you are OK with that.
The relationship I have with coaches is a mix between respect of their wording and desire of action. I read lots of things online, in books and watch videos. So a coach really need to spend all his time playing and telling me where my stroke does not fit theory since I can't see myself.
When a coach wants to spend time to develop a master to disciple relationship where there is a lot of talking and oral redundancy I have to say I get a bit annoyed.
I need with a coach to play a lot and not talk much. As soon as something goes wrong I need an update under the form of a quick order WHILE WE ARE DRILLING.  Examples: "elbow too high", "down on your legs", "more wrist", "don't rush", "too stiff", "relax", "forward", "more wood"...
This is how I envision perfect coaching: the orders come drirectly from the coach's observations into your muscles in movement and I bet this is the way to go but it's hard to tell a coach "this is how I want you to coach me".
Maybe if I find a good coach 20 years younger than me I will find the guts to ask him to coach me that way.
Globe999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globe999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2009 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Dear Kelvinator,
I took the freedom to move your nice post to the coaching section and I hope you are OK with that.
The relationship I have with coaches is a mix between respect of their wording and desire of action. I read lots of things online, in books and watch videos. So a coach really need to spend all his time playing and telling me where my stroke does not fit theory since I can't see myself.
When a coach wants to spend time to develop a master to disciple relationship where there is a lot of talking and oral redundancy I have to say I get a bit annoyed.
I need with a coach to play a lot and not talk much. As soon as something goes wrong I need an update under the form of a quick order WHILE WE ARE DRILLING.  Examples: "elbow too high", "down on your legs", "more wrist", "don't rush", "too stiff", "relax", "forward", "more wood"...
This is how I envision perfect coaching: the orders come drirectly from the coach's observations into your muscles in movement and I bet this is the way to go but it's hard to tell a coach "this is how I want you to coach me".
Maybe if I find a good coach 20 years younger than me I will find the guts to ask him to coach me that way.

This is the "learn by doing" method.  I agree with the concept.  I was trying to get some guys at the club to help me by doing exactly that.  But they were a little intimidated by telling someone, "that's wrong".  And there is no immediate correction using video. 

Let's invent a motion sensing coaching system!
Put sensors on each hand, elbows, shoulders legs, etc.  Feed the data into a computer that can analize the data and play the correction commands back to you.  Ah yes, personal invention 1305...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2009 at 10:48pm

Thanks fatt for the reply.  Actually, my coach does not talk too much.  He talks more if I ask him.  He basically hits with me and observe what I did.   He usually says good if the stroke is good, and ask me to relax when I am too tight.

I am a little bit too old to learn (35+) so sometimes I need to ask a lot of questions to understand.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2009 at 1:46am
35 YOU BABY! you have a career ahead of you :)
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2009 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Kelvinator Kelvinator wrote:

I am a little bit too old to learn (35+) so sometimes I need to ask a lot of questions to understand.

LOL. LOL
I wish that I could be your age LOL
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2009 at 2:46am
oh man, its never too late to start all over, my lecturer had a sea change and did a bachelor of law at 38
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2009 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

35 YOU BABY! you have a career ahead of you :)

Yea, I don't think I can make a career out of table tennis.   I just want to make it as my lifetime exercise.   Hopefully, I will have 25+ years to play table tennis.  When I was young, I loved ping pong (just playing for fun).  However, I stopped it because academics always the first place.   After getting thru colleges, getting married and kids, I just want to have a hobby that can keep me fit.   And I really want to learn table tennis the 'correct' way, that's why I find a coach. 

It is hard for me at the beginning because the strokes are so weird (I already had long years of muscle memory of 'bad' habits).
figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2009 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Kelvinator Kelvinator wrote:

Thanks fatt for the reply.  Actually, my coach does not talk too much.  He talks more if I ask him.  He basically hits with me and observe what I did.   He usually says good if the stroke is good, and ask me to relax when I am too tight.

umm

say what???

A person is never to old to learn. It is the WANT to learn part that is difficult. ;)

I am 34 and constantly learning. Ping-pong. Electronics, sciences, languages.. lots :)

btw I will tell you what I have heard numerous coaches from different disciplines say,

A coach is there to tell you what you are doing WRONG, not what you are doing right.
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2009 at 8:11pm
When you are old and you pay for the lessons,  a coach may not have as much authority on you as he should have.  Check out these oriental kids coached by their parents.  Sometime, it's brutal. 
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2009 at 10:18pm
kelvinator hows your fridge Big%20smile
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2009 at 12:08pm
I never used Kelvinator brand LOL.   However, my older peer said that it was popular at his timeStar.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic