Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the best ready position for PENHOLDER?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the best ready position for PENHOLDER?
    Posted: 06/10/2009 at 1:31am
I'm back to trying penholder, but I'm never sure what position to come back to in-between shots. Any help would be appreciated. I seem to either be fumbling to find a good FH position after flipping from the BH or hanging on the FH and unable to get to the BH.
AHHHHHRRRR.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 1:51am
like jean michel saive lol!!!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 3:09am
wow,I like this forum.. questions in my mind are asked before I even think about it :o
keep up the penhold topics!
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 3:41am
 It depends on your style. If you are slow and clumsy watch Chiang Peng-Lung. If you are fast and fit watch RSM. No one can give you a better answer than these two. Smile
Single Ply Hinoki club
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 11:44am
I'm not sure if I should go to a neutral straight down position or be horizontal and set for BH block, then flip over and turn for each FH. 
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 12:20pm
With shake, the bat pointing at where the ball is expected to come from gives the shortest path to be in position for either side. The players that tend to favor a position that favors backhand, will tend to take more balls backhand that "could" have been taken with the forhand.
I would think Pen would follow the same pattern. Bat straight down would give the quickest move to either side.Smile
LittleFish.Net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 3:00pm
In my opinion, the advantage of penhold lies in the less restrictive wrist movement. You will need to constantly change your grip between bh and fh to take full advantage of it, especially if you do traditional topspin pushes. Loosen the grip a little if you have problem switching between bh and fh. For fh, your thumb and middle finger (ring and pinky in a lesser extend) provides the clamping force. Your index finger should be relaxed so not to hamper your ability to quickly adjust blade angles. For bh, your index finger and the middle finger clamp the blade. You should loosen your thumb a little so it is easier to adjust the blade angle for your pushes and blocks with your thumb.
Violin CPen/FH:T05 2.1/BH:T64 1.9
W-6 CPen/FH:IQUL 2.2/BH:IQUL SV 2.0
LittleFish.Net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

I'm not sure if I should go to a neutral straight down position or be horizontal and set for BH block, then flip over and turn for each FH.�

Although I don't point my blade down at ready, I saw some higher level players do and some don't. So I don't know if there is an advantage to do either. Some actually do both, pointing down when receiving serves and horizontally after the opening loop.
Violin CPen/FH:T05 2.1/BH:T64 1.9
W-6 CPen/FH:IQUL 2.2/BH:IQUL SV 2.0
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 3:35pm
I just played with a CPEN player who swears keeping the blade in the horizontal BH position is the way to go and adjust for FH. I'm not sure which is better. I just want to start without getting into bad habits. Continued thanks for all the advise . . . 
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 3:47pm
I think a close to the table battle would favor a return to bat down position. Not enough time to go from horizontal to forhand. Smile
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

I think a close to the table battle would favor a return to bat down position. Not enough time to go from horizontal to forhand. Smile

You have a good point.
BTW, do you remember Cho's ready position? I wish I paid more attention. For other members . . . he was the ex-pro we played with several times during the Winter.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 4:25pm
I can't remember for sure but I am sure I never saw him get caught on the wrong wing. And he never "chicken winged" one. It might seem like a short distance from backhand to forhand but when the play gets fast as in a close to the table counter war, it is about three miles if you guess wrong. Watching that 10 year old girl in multiball training, a return to neutral position was used no matter how fast the coach fed balls. When it got REAL fast, she still "went through" the return position on the way to the ball.Smile
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 4:29pm
Anyone out there disagree with HOOK?
Please speak now or forever hold your peace because I'm about to start training. :-).
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 4:41pm
I will modify my post a little. How can a pen guy chicken wing? By blocking on the forhand instead of looping like he would have if he got there in time. Not a true chicken wing but equivalent.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 10:24pm
I can chicken wing with penholder by keeping the BH position and hitting a shot to my FH side. b-b-b-b-gawk!
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2009 at 10:41pm
You mean a forhand RPB Tommy? That should take you up near Ma Lin just with the confusion factor. WinkLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic