FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

current no.1 at our club vs BOZ HD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2009 at 11:14pm
Hi Boz why do you think? that he served to your backhand 95% of the game which allowed you to open up nearly every backhand shot?
and his last winning point was a short backspin to wide forehand

Do you think he was playing to your strength? hahaha I just want to yell out "vary your serves" to him,
but I do really think you have a very good backhand and it comes very natural to you
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Sponsored Links

Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2009 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

Did you keep it mid table because that's roughly the elbow?

I said short mid table, because he can't attack that ball unless it's a really nice flick.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
spitfire View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spitfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2009 at 11:55pm
When somebody post a video of their game, all of a suddern everybody becomes an expert.... this thread reminds me of the Mr Blocker vs Schlager thread.  Imagine if one day Ma long or Boll comes over and post their own home made video.....They probablly would get jumped too...LOL
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 12:15am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Hi Boz why do you think? that he served to your backhand 95% of the game which allowed you to open up nearly every backhand shot?

Do you think he was playing to your strength? hahaha I just want to yell out "vary your serves" to him,
but I do really think you have a very good backhand and it comes very natural to you

I'm trying to decide whether you're good friends with Boz who can tease him a bit, or if you're just being rude and flipant.  I like watching Boz's videos and reading the useful discussion, when it's thoughtful and respectful.  Everyone should be thoughtful and respectful in their posts unless they're over 2500, and, now that I think about, everyone I know over 2500 is always thoughtful and respectful.  Maybe because if you're really good, you don't need to hit other people.

Some people prefer to only use one or two serves (I'm not one of them).  Fan Yiyong once told me that he prefered to use two serves: short backspin and short no spin.  I, personally, would not care to serve a long serve into the teeth of Boz's backhand, but maybe this guy felt it was a comfortable way to get into his game, or maybe he was being stubborn.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 12:57am
bozbrisvegas,

Based on what I've seen in this video, if you were to play at our club, I would have given you an initial USATT rating of 2050.

You do have the potential to beat some of our 2100 level players, but without seeing how you deal with other styles of the same level (penholders, combo pips-out attackers, long pips blockers and choppers) it's the best guess I could make.

Best Regards,

William Lin

Open Round Robin Tournament Director
LATTA (Los Angeles Table Tennis Association)

www.latabletennis.com

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 3:02am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I'm trying to decide whether you're good friends with Boz who can tease him a bit, or if you're just being rude and flipant.  I like watching Boz's videos and reading the useful discussion, when it's thoughtful and respectful.  Everyone should be thoughtful and respectful in their posts unless they're over 2500, and, now that I think about, everyone I know over 2500 is always thoughtful and respectful.  Maybe because if you're really good, you don't need to hit other people.

Some people prefer to only use one or two serves (I'm not one of them).  Fan Yiyong once told me that he prefered to use two serves: short backspin and short no spin.  I, personally, would not care to serve a long serve into the teeth of Boz's backhand, but maybe this guy felt it was a comfortable way to get into his game, or maybe he was being stubborn.

I started playing TT at a club in 1976 ,I'm more looking at it from a coaches point of view and apart from it being fun to watch, I now often think if I was coaching Boz or the other player "what would I say to them" in between games etc and in this case I would say to Boz's mate "don't always serve there as his (Boz's) backhand is going too good"
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 3:21am

Smackman - r u my opponent in this vid? because I just told him today about this post (I think I avoided using his real name although he knew the vid is on youtube and didnt mind me recording the match)

Well spotted that his winning ending was a serve to my fh.   I actually always prepare my stroke for my fh but because kept serving longish to my backhand I just developed a super bh grip.  I do this against people who dont vary for whatever reason. 

I have had many practise matches since then and our tally still runs at 50/50. 

stubborn or not - I often roll serves and focus on making sure it lands on the table - I tend not to go for the long serves which look you can just finish the point - they are often set up for their counter - for players with less spinny rubbers as he uses - my strategy is to try to never give backspin on any serve - because that is their attacking call, great i got the back spin i need to convert this...

RoundRobin you are the second person to give me the 2050 usa ranking - the first person was Albert from PPP. My least fav style to play against is short pimple attackers - that are my level.  I just can't get into a groove against the spin.

Thanks for all the interest again, I might have to post the latest video soon.  This was insightful because as Spitfire & Benf mentioned people often get a bit rough for posting vids of yourself.

tough stuff cheers guys

I have decided to add more video after these good replies.

the video in this solcion & 05 post is at the exact point when my shoulder started hurting

this next video using tenergy 25 & 05 is the exact point it stopped hurting -

so there is quite a difference in stroke production - especially still nursing the fh
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
cntcasey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntcasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2010 at 6:32pm
a
cntcasey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntcasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2010 at 6:33pm
I am wanting to change from from Bryce to something else. I am playing Bryce unglued on TBS and wonder if BTY Solcion would be a good replacement. Stinks it's almost as much as Tenergy! Is there a Palio, Gambler, Friendship, or other traditionally cheaper rubber that is a pretty good clone for the BTY Solcion? 
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2010 at 6:37pm
@cntcasy

Solcion is very soft rubber. Have you played with Solcion before? You may not like it ultra soft sponge.

Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
cntcasey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntcasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2010 at 6:38pm
I have never played with Solcion before. All I have ever played was Bryce, Focus 3, Donic Copa Tagora and that's it! Bryce is often to fast for me!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2010 at 6:53pm
Solicon sponge is really soft. It is only 28 degrees. The softest of all sponges in the Butterfly range.

It it softer then Focus 3 and i have found Focus 3 to be very soft.

Perhaps you should try Sriver FX.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
cntcasey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntcasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2010 at 6:55pm
Yes Scriver fx Softer then Bryce? Easier to loop then Bryce?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2010 at 7:05pm
Easier to loop is very subjective honestly.

If you like something softer you could also try the softer sponge in the Byrce range like Byrce FX.

If someone in the club has this rubber, you could try it hitting with it for a few minutes to see if you like it.

As mentioned before, feeling for the ball is very personal. At least you are narrowing it down the list a bit since you are going for a softer sponge.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2010 at 1:14am
Unusual to wake up this thread about solcion.

solcion is much easier to loop that any bryce series.  true it has a soft sponge but not as soft as f3 or other esn rubbers.  the topsheet is like the hard high tension family so it also plays differently.

Be warned its pretty dam slow but easy to use.
yea for the price you might try sriver fx which is very very similar.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
cntcasey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntcasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2010 at 11:16am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

Unusual to wake up this thread about solcion.

solcion is much easier to loop that any bryce series.  true it has a soft sponge but not as soft as f3 or other esn rubbers.  the topsheet is like the hard high tension family so it also plays differently.

Be warned its pretty dam slow but easy to use.
yea for the price you might try sriver fx which is very very similar.

When you say it's dam slow, could you be more specific? What kind of player would it be slow for? Would it be slow for a 1200 player? Would it be slow for a 1600 player, would it be slow for a 2000 or higher player. Or is it just slow for any player no matter what their level is?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2010 at 4:28pm
I don't think it's too slow on for any level, it depends on your style. 

Most 2000 players that want to win with speed and spin instead of continuous control would probably avoid this rubber because of the speed.

What butterfly say about this rubber is correct.  It is high in control.  If my memory serves me correctly it plays like mark V soft.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Heimdallalso Heimdallalso wrote:

Nobody... & I mean nobody pops their collar like you bozbrisvegas! Wink
I feel better. I've been meaning to tell you that for weeks & weeks.

Enjoyed the vid.

For me, soft sponges are the way to go.
Seems to be working for your BH too.
Are you relaxed in your body or somewhat tight when you play?
I want you to have even more effectiveness/success.
Hit with/like a whip!!!

r e l a x

Good Hitting

thought that was an accident lol
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 8:46pm
I'd say a bit of both,

I just had the first night of division 1 fixtures last night.  I must say man I am so much slower and blubbier - if thats a word.  too many beers and food over chirstmas - I am moving really slowly and lack some fire!!!!

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic