Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Anyone here around 1500-1600 USATT ranking?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2009 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

i would be well over 1500 if i could actually FIND a tournament to play in. Living in new england sucks.

Are you kidding me?

08 winter and 09 spring were loaded with 6-10 tournaments in Maine, NH and Mass alone! I intentionally dodged tournaments to train, so I can take home some trophies this Fall :D

And here's two more coming up in New England in the next month:

QTTC August Open Quincy, MA 8/30/09  Qiumars Hedayatian
617-669-5585
2009 Spinmania Shelton, CT 9/5/09-9/6/09 Roman Tinyszin
860-416-5299

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Sponsored Links

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2009 at 11:46pm

i would be well over 1500 if i could actually FIND a tournament to play in. Living in new england sucks.

I feel your pain brother.  Ouch
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2009 at 10:08am
I have been in and out of USA for pretty much the entire three years I started likeng TT. I had to drive 10 hours to Denver for my first tourney on my vacation. T'was cool to combine a Rocky Mountain family vacation with a tourney. My last vacation, I drove 26 hours to see my daughter in school and went to one of the Quincy Open in 2008 and unknowingly played against our very own JimT.

Yeh, it sucks to not be right next to where the tourneys are. You just have to look at how determined you are to get it done. Maybe I am hard headed and more determined than most. Still, Quincy runs a tourney every month, Bostonn TTC runs some, and there are other tourneys at least evey other month throughout the rest of NE. Yeah, it would be real nice to be in the Baltimore/Washington DC area where there is a tourney every two weeks and sometimes every week.

Just make it a real priority and do your best to make it happen. I have done tourneys as an out of town (way out of town) at almost ten venues. Every place treated me right.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2009 at 10:38am
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

tgph2k will not be at that rating after next tourney if he continues to win against several 1700 players and not run into any severly under-rated jokers, especially considering his recent training abroad.

you're too kind bh-man. i'm hoping i'm closer to the 1800 level....we'll just see how it goes when i play in tournies....right now i'm playing in league and i'm still stuck on the 1500 tables...we'll see how it goes this monday when i move up a table. i should be able to steal some more points this way.

Too nice? Too much credit? I doubt it. Anyone who look at your match stats could deduct pretty much the same thing. You don't win against several 1700+ rated players by accident. The only explaination for it not being valid win(s) is someone spiked their coffee with huge doses of Exlax ( For those not knowing - A common American product that helps you go to the toilet real quick) or that were coming back to the game after a decade or two off. You run into one sometimes, but not two or three, so I will bet lunch that they were legit 1700 players that you defeated. It IS very common to run into some low rated guy who has been training, advanced in skill a lot, but had not done a few tourneys to get his rating caught up. THAT happens a LOT, especially at the levels under 1700 and you hate it when you run into one of those under-rated buzz saws. Thank God for rating adjustments, or else you lose the entire 50 point max for that match. You are easily 1650-1700 on the conservative side of the estimate with potential to be higher.

If I was U1500, I would HATE to run into JeffATC. I visited his club a lot for a few week while on vacation near there. I had a had a short hit with him blocking his FH fast loops. I consider myself above average blocker for my level. I blocked loop after loop from JeffATC and he kept speeding them back to the FH - consistant, fast, and deep. He could nail anywhere from 4 in a row on the lowest end to 15, if I could keep up the blocking. That was BEFORE he took his trip. I told him after the short hit that I hoped I wasn't wasting his time as I thought he was several hundred points rated higher just looking at his practice strokes. That guy is going to make more than a few kids and their fanatical cheering parents more than a little upset. It is due and just. Jeff did the work. The next tourney or two should prove it.

Think you are 1800 stuff? I'm not going to tell you no. I hope you get there or close next tourney. I haven't seen you. You appear to be under-rated significantly. How much? Who knows until you do a few more tourneys. You also have had some good training opportunities and fun since your previous tourney almost a year ago. Hope is eternal and a good thing to keep oneself motivated. I will not discourage you, but help cheer. TT forums are excellent outlets for this and a lot of other stuff.

I was in a similar situation being away from TT for a year and a half away from the states and any real chance for TT, only a cramped room with no one any where near even USATT 800. All I could get done was several minutes a day of service practice. I thought that alone would give the 1700-1800 crowd fits, and along with my 3rd ball attacks, a good chance at winning. Well, when it came down to the matches in tourneys after I got back, I was full of hope and thought I would end up 1600-1700. I discovered my serves were not as great as I had thought and did not work too well against the 1800 crowd. All I could do is pile up wins over the 1500-1600 crowd and ended up barely cracking USATT 1600 after 3 tourneys. I still have hope of increasing the rating, but it won't go up much more until I get better. I will move to Korea soon and should get a ton of opportunity to train for real and that will make a difference and show if I get back to the States for tourneys.
cagaragesales View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2009 at 10:45am
Wow BH-Man! That takes a lot of commitment! Glad to see you enjoy table tennis that much! What state are you from? I guess I'm slightly spoiled from having 1-2 tournaments to choose from almost every month. But what state are you from?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2009 at 2:30pm
ME? High commitment? Some, but look at yourself. You fly halfway around the world and meet up with Hookshot and Tommy - that's something I couldn't dream of right now. Driving 26 hours and unwittingly losing to JimT 3-0 in close games, driving 24 hours once and getting right out of the car to get waxed by Bogeyhunter in training, driving the way back a few weeks later and seeing old Army friends and also linking up with LilDudeJDS, hit some and driving 10 hours home, driving 6 hours to Austin TTC, and getting a chance to meet Jeff pales to a two day travel like you are doing. There just isn't any TT around here in Oklahoma. There is a club 100 miles away, but that is way too much fuel $$ to go there often, except for a tourney. I sometimes visit my friends in Central Texas, which accounts for my trips to Austin TTC. I go to tourneys in Dallas, I sometimes drive to visit my daughter in New England, I once had to make a business trip to DC, which I was able to take advantage of to meet several forum members. You go a heck of a lot further than I do and I reckon others do even more just to play, train, or compete in TT, given our spread out nature of people and facilities. This upcoming move to Korea should really help my TT out big time.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2009 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Swiffers Swiffers wrote:

I feel your pain brother.� Ouch

People in california are so lucky. 90% of the US clubs are like IN Cali.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2009 at 4:10pm

People in california are so lucky. 90% of the US clubs are like IN Cali.

Wrong. It is not a matter of people being lucky. It is just that there are more tournament level players. It is simply a matter of demand and supply. Not that USATT has a special affinity for California.
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2009 at 7:18pm
so the ranking below is really diverse. well, imma try to get some newer videos of me and you guys can comment. will post it here
Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Stiga Calibra Sound
figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2009 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by tsanyc tsanyc wrote:

I am maybe 1100.� Not sure, never got rated. But I play a kid name Tahl when I was in my college days. He was around 1700 at the time.

As in Tahl lehbovitz? Para-Olympic gold medalist rated around 2500 right handed and about 2100 left handed? Coach and trainer of "world champ", Judah freidlander? That Tahl???
Speed glue, booster, tuner free since 2006!!!
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2009 at 1:06pm
lol yea, i was suspecting that also....

but here's an update for me though. i played in a U-1700 local tournie and got runner up. so that's not too bad. just wish i got first place though =p
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2009 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

There just isn't any TT around here in Oklahoma. There is a club 100 miles away, but that is way too much fuel $$ to go there often, except for a tourney. I sometimes visit my friends in Central Texas, which accounts for my trips to Austin TTC. I go to tourneys in Dallas, I sometimes drive to visit my daughter in New England, I once had to make a business trip to DC, which I was able to take advantage of to meet several forum members. You go a heck of a lot further than I do and I reckon others do even more just to play, train, or compete in TT, given our spread out nature of people and facilities. This upcoming move to Korea should really help my TT out big time.

Where is "around here in Oklahoma"?  There are clubs in Missouri and Arkansas (LR) that, though they may be a bit of a drive, are most accessible.  You might not get to play a 2450 player very often, but there are plenty 1300 to 1900 players to go around.  And one of the very best coaches in the world for developing players is in the western suburb of St. Louis (Sheri Xu).  A couple of sessions with Sheri could make a big difference in your game.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2009 at 10:35pm
The OKC club is 100 miles away and that is way too much fuel $$ to do more than an occasional visit. Closest place with any players in 1400-1600 range is 60 miles away in Texas and once a week is about all I'm willing to spend on that - even that ends up being $50 a month for those round trips. I don't mind driving 3 hours to a tourney at Texas Wesley. St Louis is 10 hours away, sorry. I'll drop by a club if I am in the area for something as a side trip, but I don't get that chance as much as I want. I lot of us in the US are in similar boats, some worse.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2009 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

lol yea, i was suspecting that also....

but here's an update for me though. i played in a U-1700 local tournie and got runner up. so that's not too bad. just wish i got first place though =p

The U1700 winner could have been a ringer or someone just like you who needs to do a couple tourneys to get the ratings caught up to the actual level.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 12:12am
he's definitely good. he should be 16something he was having an amazing day too. all of my loops were blocked like they were a game of pong to him...=(
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 1:35am
@ BH-Man I'd say you're travels and experiences to meet so many different people and play at different places is priceless.  You get to see table tennis in it's different forms in many different regions and you're having fun while you're doing it!

@ tpgh2k (tuan).  It's just a matter of time brother.  According to  takadigi you and I are developing players, ticking time bombs.  People aren't going to know what hit them when they see how under-ratted we are.  But I am pretty sure you are at least 1700.  Your away from the table game is much better than mine, you've got good serves, good anticipation.  It's just a matter of time.

I just had a tournament yesterday (Waco Round Robin) and I beat a 1671 in the prelim round robin and made it in to the B group.  I was very close to beating several players but couldn't put it together in the end.  I should be close to the 1400-1500 range now.  I am now going to resume training in preparation for the Aliana Open this Saturday.  Let's see how far I can go :)
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 1:49am
lol jeff!!!! you changed the setup again!!! what happened to the boost?? i think you're way higher than 1500 jeff. most definitely 1600+

i'm debating whether or not to go back to my mizutani setup. it'll require much less effort and i can still get monster spin with it....but i don't want to get lazy if i use it =(
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 2:26am

When in Vietnam I made an impulse buy with that Ishlion.  So many kids were using carbon blades and I felt left out.  First I switched to Sriver on both sides in attempt to gain more control. Now I'm focusing more on feeling and touch; and I think that a korbel with the rubbers I listed will help.  Many of my clubmates highly recomended that blade to me.  I want to get well grounded in my technique and I don't think that a carbon blade will help.  I sound like an EJ don't I? LOL  But i'm not I swear!!! lol I'll save the Ishlion for when I get past 2000 USATT.  But hopefully at the Aliana Open: 1). I hope I get in (i'm waitlisted #5); 2). I hope to have better touch, feeling and control in my game, becuase at my tournament in Waco, I was a smashing machine.  I served a dead ball expecting it to pop up, but what do I do?  Freakn smash it when it's only 10 inches off the table.  It was stupid ball selection on my part and it happened 3-4 times.Angry  Oh well.  I will fix it to the best of my ability this week!!!

***But also to keep on topic with this thread, Ash(ATTC) is roughly a 1600 player, closer to 1700. and gives 1800-1900 players a hard time.  Deadly countergame.  Deadly backhand.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 8:50am

Jeff, unless you lost to some 1200-1300s, you will get a nice ratings adjustment near 1500ish and you will gain/lose points from there. I wouldn't be surprised to see you crack 1600 if you defeated several upper 1500 players. However, if players near your adjusted rating in that tourney were scarce, it could take a few more tourneys to get your rating near your current level. I did the Texas Wesleyan last week and played only one player near my level - the rest were 200+ points higher/lower. If I didn't go to that tourney, I would have run into you at Waco. Maybe I cna see some of my friends in central Texas this weekend and make a final visit to your club. Is your other side up and running?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic