Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the best way to block?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sidofmillenium View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the best way to block?
    Posted: 09/07/2009 at 4:35am
Lets say you are unaware of your opponent's spin...and since the ball is coming really fast, you dont have time to angle it...so the best thing to do is to just put the racket in front of ball's path...and then absorb-chop the ball...Waldner and Samsonov does that as well...what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links

traineebeing View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traineebeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2009 at 5:14am

If the ball is coming really fast then the best way to block is this:

Open your eyes wide and hope for the best. Your reflexes will do the rest.
729 FX View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729 FX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2009 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by traineebeing traineebeing wrote:

If the ball is coming really fast then the best way to block is this:

Open your eyes wide and hope for the best. Your reflexes will do the rest.

+1.  SmileWink
zwu168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwu168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2009 at 10:34pm
lol hit it hard. idk i kinda feel the spin when it touch my blade and i just do accordingly. sounds impossible but its just...instinct
OC WRB
FH: Hurricane 2
BH: CJ8000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2009 at 10:46pm
At the beginning of the video...Waldner is shown to do blocking with chop on it...and dropping it at the same time...the ball still goes fast...weird touch..do you guys know what he is doing?

DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2009 at 12:28am
Yeah my friend blocks like that against my loops sometimes and it pisses me off because the timing is totaly wacked out. You gotta practice it and have good touch on the bal.

If you are a couple of steps back i find a block like Mizutani or Waldner works the best but when u are close to the table getting your blade on it with a little stroke to guide the ball does the best job.
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2009 at 1:53pm
How can chop block work?  Doesn't it create a long arc?  At such fast speed...if this can work...do I have to loop?  Can I chop kill everything?

In the link I provided earlier...it shows Waldner chop blocking...here are 2 more:

(he does that in other matches)

I know an absorbing chop blocker like Ma Lin works...but I am talking about the fast ones...I tried it myself..and it works!  And the ball has chop on it...
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2009 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by sidofmillenium sidofmillenium wrote:

How can chop block work?  Doesn't it create a long arc?  At such fast speed...if this can work...do I have to loop?  Can I chop kill everything?

In the link I provided earlier...it shows Waldner chop blocking...here are 2 more:

I know an absorbing chop blocker like Ma Lin works...but I am talking about the fast ones...I tried it myself..and it works!  And the ball has chop on it...

lol those are not chop blocks.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2009 at 3:37pm
Waldner has a very deceptive block/drop shot you can look at those shots frame by frame and you still can't tell if his going to hit them slow or fast. This is one of the main reasons why he was the best. I've even seen some where I swear he was moving his blade backwards on impact (that's very very hard to do)

Talent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2009 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

Originally posted by sidofmillenium sidofmillenium wrote:

lol those are not chop blocks.

well the first one got under-side spin, the second sid spin.
nevertheless the important factor at these blocks is the side spin
sid,if you want to master them watch kenta matsudaira doing them(he does this block quite often and you easily see his wrist-movement,just watch f.e. the ma lin wttc match)

Blade:BTY TBS
Forehand:Omega 4 Europe max
Backhand:Omega 4 Europe max
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2009 at 1:56am
My most consistent way has been to go as far away as passible and reloop/chop/lob it...but if I dont get enough time, I do the same thing off the bounce...I think loop gives ppl most trouble but its good mix it up...what do u guys think?
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2009 at 2:01am
waldner invented the chop block. It is VERY hard to tell what he's going to do with the ball. like said above, he even moves his racket backwards sometimes to absorb impact. But chop block is more of a feel-based stroke. You take the feel of the ball, and direct it based on the spin and impact of the ball. But you have the downward motion to impart underspin. It's kind of like a close blade chop. Its a high level stroke.

Ma lin picked this up too, and does it all the time. Looks more natural doing it penhold though.

I think the best way to block is always with a 45 degree angle (assuming you dont know the spin) because you blocking signifies an offensive shot in your direction mostly, and offensive shots are mostly topspin. I think the most important thing when passive blocking is to relax your wrist, having a soft wrist absorbs some of the spin.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic