Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proper looping technique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 5:00pm
For what its worth, I think I have a bit of Euro looping style because I don't really swing with my whole arm, more of a compact stroke...  But I also loop with the ball at about eye or shoulder level and I lower my legs to get to that position... A lot of the great euro loopers look as if they are contacting the ball lower than shoulder level, "shooting from the hip" you could say... (And their follow-through is at about the chin or lower.) I do that when I'm just hitting, but when I loop the ball has to be higher or my body lower, and my follow-through is at eyebrow level or above, even with a mostly horizontal swing. Shocked

Sponsored Links

corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

[QUOTE=ohhgourami] I'm talking about extremes and the obvious...Big swings with whole arm, arm almost straight... Chen Qi, Ma Lin, Ma Long, Wang Liqin, AND Chuan Chih-yuan to name a few. They each have their own unique style but what they have in common is the big swing with whole arm smashing through the ball as much as grazing it.

You listed some chinese players but what about Wang Hao's looping style?
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by corsuse corsuse wrote:

You listed some chinese players but what about Wang Hao's looping style?

Good question. He has a very unique style, he uses a wide variation of spin and power in his strokes, AND he has really short arms, so it would be hard for me to classify his style. But generally speaking, when he's hitting big loops, I would say he's got that sweeping, chinese-style stroke.

Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 5:57pm
Wang Hao definately has Chinese strokes.  Alot more standard looking than Ma Lin's.  Much like Ma Longs... his strokes IMO are the best example...  80-90% of the time perfect followthrough very forward with the stroke starting below the ball.
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Can someone help me understand the difference between pace's stroke and the chinese children.

I know that pace is "looping" and that the kids are "driving" but they seem very similar to my eyes.

Help me where my optometrist has failed.

(i curse him out loud when i hit ball with the edge of my blade on a return or serve)

I am sorry if I confuse you about the drive and the loop.  I am probably from an old school, but to me even though the kid's swing looks like a loop (swing upward bc he's too short lol), but the way the ball was hit on contact is still a drive to me, there is no force applied to the ball to spin it.  Again, my apology about the terminology (English is not even my 1st language lol).  For me a loop has to have some force to spin the ball.  See the link below of some boys practicing FH loop, see how the comming ball has no under spin, so he has to stand back and wait for the ball to drop a little b4 he loops (and applies the force to spin it), otherwise it will pop up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3M_7DZda_s
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 6:36pm

Can someone help me understand the difference between pace's stroke and the chinese children.

I know that pace is "looping" and that the kids are "driving" but they seem very similar to my eyes.

(i curse him out loud when i hit ball with the edge of my blade on a return or serve)
 Its not just Chinese Kids, all younger Kids everywhere Drive the ball with an earlier contact point than players such as Brian pace and other well grooved older players, the 40mm ball is the key, its all these younger players have ever known, us oldies grooved our loop stroke in an earlier age (38mm ball) where spin was more important, hence the later contact, higher tragectory, and more vertical addressing of the ball.
The Older I get, The better I was.
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Hybrid technique!? I disagree, but let the confusion and debate begin!

Chuan Chi-Yuan takes a gigantic swing with his whole arm, with huge wind up and follow through. And I don't recall that he uses Euro rubbers on the fh. That's textbook--albeit extreme--chinese fh to me.

And what does look closely mean? Everyone on this forum can say look closely and make up their own definition of who uses what kind of stroke. I'm talking about extremes and the obvious...

Big swings with whole arm, arm almost straight... Chen Qi, Ma Lin, Ma Long, Wang Liqin, AND Chuan Chih-yuan to name a few. They each have their own unique style but what they have in common is the big swing with whole arm smashing through the ball as much as grazing it.

On the other end you have the players that use more spin and power from the rubber in their stroke (forget about which kind of rubber they actually use)... Shorter strokes with that snap or whip motion. I don't like the "chicken wing" analogy because its what Boll-haters use on this forum to belittle Boll's style, but its somewhat accurate. Much of the stroke comes from the elbow down compared to the whole arm of the more chinese style strokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhYGUekF8Ms&feature=related

And like I said, look closely.  I doubt he is using chinese rubber.  It surely doesn't look like any DHS or Haifu rubber.

If you ignore Chuan Chih-Yuan's midtable to far table looping, his stroke is hybrid and looks more like the old chinese technique which was based off the euro stroke.  It's hard to explain.

Also, big swing does not necessarily mean chinese stroke.  Would you say Kreanga has a chinese stroke?  He extends his arms fully for his kill shots too.

What I consider to be the most idealized Chinese technique is from WLQ which consist mainly of driving.  There are of course nuances with a little more brushing but still chinese stroke.

Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 7:29pm
Bangs head against brick wall.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Bangs head against brick wall.

Dammit, APW, we haven't acquired the skill you have! All we have is our theorizing, idealizing, and pontificating! LOL Let us just nitpick and spout about "Chinese" and "Euro" loops from our ivory towers until we finally acquire an acceptable amount of skill.

Then, we'll join you in poking fun at the silly newbies (like us) desperately trying to find validation and comfort in theoretical waxing. LOL

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 7:46pm
I'm ROLFING at your interlect Anton, sorry dude I accept your critisism, You are a master of Forum, hats off to you! I Know my place, please don't think that I don't, because I really do. Sorry mate, but it all makes for good forum.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 7:48pm

I'm ROLFING at your interlect Anton, sorry dude I accept your critisism, You are a master of Forum, hats off to you! I Know my place, please don't think that I don't, because I really do. Sorry mate, but it all makes for good forum.

I know, I know... Hopefully you saw my self-deprecation in that comment. I was making fun of myself, and not really "chastising" you. Wink

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I looked back at both videos and did some "stop action" viewing by toggling between play and pause.  The 2 videos are remarkable similar, but I think I did see some differences. 

I am pretty sure Pace's stroke is a more vertical because
1. The balls he is hitting seem to be bouncing higher than those in the kids video so there is more vertical from his start point to the contact point.
2. He is finishing quite a bit higher.  He finishes just a little higher relative to his body, but as an adult that point is significantly higher than the kids.
3. The 1st and 3rd kid seem to be doing a "lift before hit" in their stroke.  That is they take the racket back very low (below table) but lift it up more in line with the ball before starting the forward part of the stroke.

I am pretty sure Pace's racket is more closed at contact and is hitting brushing contact because
1. In side view of Pace you clearly see racket angle = swing plane which produces a large brushing component at contact.
2. In front view of Pace you see the leading edge of his racket and a reduced blade area due to the blade being closed.
3. In the kids video you see less or none of the blade edge and at contact the area of the blade is about equal to a normal blade indicating blade is not as closed.  (Video is blurred so I could be wrong, but that is what I see).

Mark

Thanks Mark. That was pretty discerning stuff.

I only focused on the 45 degree angle swing plane that they seemed to use. Until folks here pointed it out, I hadn't realized that the kids were taking it earlier and Brian was letting it drop.

I thought they were both doing "top of bounce".
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2010 at 12:06am

Its not just Chinese Kids, all younger Kids everywhere Drive the ball with an earlier contact point than players such as Brian pace and other well grooved older players, the 40mm ball is the key, its all these younger players have ever known, us oldies grooved our loop stroke in an earlier age (38mm ball) where spin was more important, hence the later contact, higher tragectory, and more vertical addressing of the ball.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!
corsuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2010 at 7:49am
20100225_074811_Untwangitled.jpg

Is the position of the racket something like that when Wang Hao is looping? Sorry for the funny picture . And if so where is the contact point with the ball? When the acceleration of the hit beggins and so on?
figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2010 at 2:21pm
Curious

The "chinese" loop as you guys are calling it is actually NOT.

The folks that brought this loop int the picture where none other than the hungarians.

Joyner, Klampar, Gergley etc. The straight arm loop. Of course with the 38mm and the really great (and very toxic) speed glues, the hungarian loop was actually a hindrance due to the speed ofhe rallies. Wrong time, right form.

Fast Forward almot 30 years. Now that the game has slowed down somewhat. Righ time, Right form. ;)
Speed glue, booster, tuner free since 2006!!!
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2010 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by figgie figgie wrote:

Curious

The folks that brought this loop int the picture where none other than the hungarians.

Joyner, Klampar, Gergley etc. The straight arm loop. Of course with the 38mm and the really great (and very toxic) speed glues, the hungarian loop was actually a hindrance due to the speed ofhe rallies. Wrong time, right form.

Fast Forward almot 30 years. Now that the game has slowed down somewhat. Righ time, Right form. ;)

Agreed Thumbs%20Up

I've been trying this straight arm loop for a while but still got some problem with the ball going to my body, I need footwork to actually move myself to the left to give me a straight arm loop.  And it's true that during the speed glue time, the straight arm loops would not be the best because of the speed but Wang Tao, Ma Wenge, Kong Linghui and especially Wang Liqin (Asian average heights for the formers and European height for the later) did the straight arm loop during the time of speed glue and dominated during their prime time.  Wang Liqin now has to adjust his game to the non-speed glue rule. 

FireHorse
Current Setup:
Butterfly Primorac Carbon
FH: Andro Rassant Grip
BH: Andro Rassant PowerGrip
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2010 at 12:39am
Originally posted by figgie figgie wrote:

Curious

I don't know, I think those guys did pretty well in their own day!
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2010 at 1:18am
I posted this in another thread but I am honestly curious as to the answer:

"I have a question: Where does the Korean Jpen forehand (think Lee Jung Woo and Ryu Seung Min) fall as far as strokes go? Would you consider it its own style? Or is it just Chinese? I like their forehands...so powerful Clap"
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2010 at 6:14am
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

I posted this in another thread but I am honestly curious as to the answer:

"I have a question: Where does the Korean Jpen forehand (think Lee Jung Woo and Ryu Seung Min) fall as far as strokes go? Would you consider it its own style? Or is it just Chinese? I like their forehands...so powerful Clap"
+1
Adding to this, I also want to know what is the Hangbang Korean forehand I've heard all the time. Is it another technique?
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic