Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quick way to Gain 500 Usatt Points!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
longreachlooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 11:16am
you know,
thinking more on this,
if youre having fun using the superfast setup,
why not USE IT!??
I have tried all kinds like you.
Maybe some of it ego or whatever.
You see someone driving a fast fast car,
and getting 10 mpg.
Youre driving a Honda or Toyota with a 4 cylinder
and getting 40 mpg!  ??????
CRAZY  GAME  TT  IS
mAYBE SOMEDAY i'LL get a better digital camera,
for i am using a 3 megapixel and it takes great pictures!
LHM, what a crazy world!
I don't care if the guy next to me is
using a Carbon Blade and I have a $20 blade!
I have a girlfriend.

-Blade

-Spinny verywell controlled stuff forehand

-long pips or inverted or med. pips on backhand

Sponsored Links

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

I think it's interesting to get an idea of what level play you are discussing.

I know several allaround US1700+ players who use ALL- blades and UNGLUED Sriver FX/Mark V and Juic Scramble. Against similar opponents their attacks from mid distance have enough power to win points (placement and control). Even against higher rated players, up to about US1900 or so they are capable of powerlooping through them. Beyond that, US2100 and above players usually control the point and prevent and such attacks, or are able to attack earlier to end the point.

The whole notion that you need a fast blade and rubber to hit hard is baloney.  What you need is good technique.

The whole notion that you need to hit hard to play well is also baloney.  What you need is control and placement. 

I've been playing at between 1800 and 1900 now for about a year using an LKT Instinct 5-ply and Dr. Evil rubber.  That's a pretty slow setup.  I've measured my ball speed (counting video frames) against my inverted using opponents, and there isn't much difference.  If I set the point up right, I hit clean winners against the best players in our club.

Now a player may prefer to use a faster and spinnier rubber because it suits his style and how he likes to play the game.  But if he thinks he"needs" that kind of setup, then he is mistaken.

Here's a link to me playing about 9 months ago.  I'm the guy in black.  Can people hit faster and spinnier than me.  Of course they can.  But I've clocked a smash of mine at 60mph.  So $40 worth of inexpensive Chinese hardbat is certainly fast enough. 

Admittedly, I am a somewhat extreme and unusual example.  And I'll further make the point that the lack of speed and spin in my gear makes it much harder for me to go "toe to toe" with inverted players with a strong loop.  So I'm not suggesting that all the 1100 players should switch to hardbat.  What I'm saying is that if they think they need fast gear to play well they are just kidding themselves.  There are players that have reached over 2200 playing hardbat. 

Any good inverted rubber on an allround blade provides sufficient spin and power to get you to 2000.  My suggestion is to be very conservative until you can see a 2000 rating on the horizon.  Then, perhaps you'll have the skills to control the faster gear.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic