FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palio Thor's impressions and reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 565758
Author
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2020 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

Welcome back good old forum and thread! I'm back 4 knee surgeries later and looking to take TT serious again and guess what I've been using....THORS.

Still performs beautifully FH and BH on a Samsanov Alpha and a Donic Waldner Senso Carbon, I only had 1 new sheet of Thors to put on my Stiga clipper but I can tell you now it feels amazing both sides again.

Where is Nicefrog?

Is anyone else still using this Rubber?

Welcome back!

I'm not sure how many years you have been gone, but like you, I had a hiatus from the sport (3-4 years).

Here's a quick recap:
Palio was a trendsetter. I can't speak to the current Thor's quality, but I will tell you that the market is now FLOODED with Chinese-style topsheet/German-style tensioned sponge hybrids rubbers that were inspired by Thor's.

Joola's Golden tango feels legit like a boosted H3. 
Tibhar's K1 Hybrid has a range of variants from Euro feeling to Chinese feeling - my favorite control rubber.

Chinese companies have stepped up their game as well though!
A while back, Sanwei made an interesting hybrid rubber Target National which has a touch gear and a driving gear.
DHS is no slouch either, producing rubbers for Stiga (Genesis M, which was like a quality controlled version of DHS TinArc) and even updating their beginner rubbers like PF4 with an elastic sponge.
Also, Kokotaku Tuple 007 Pro has a distinct hybrid feel (Chinese topsheet, tensioned sponge) - my favorite attacking rubber.

Cheers!

PS:
the ball is still not as well made/consistent as celluloid: Nittaku Premiums play more DIFFERENTLY from any other brand than celluloid 2* vs 3* did. DHS also makes some good balls, but you have to pay NITTAKU Premium prices to get them. Other companies, like Butterfly, still make gimmicky feeling balls like the G40 (wow-the sound!) and S40 (wow-the spin!) series. 

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Sponsored Links

Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2020 at 4:50am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Welcome back!

I'm not sure how many years you have been gone, but like you, I had a hiatus from the sport (3-4 years).

Here's a quick recap:
Palio was a trendsetter. I can't speak to the current Thor's quality, but I will tell you that the market is now FLOODED with Chinese-style topsheet/German-style tensioned sponge hybrids rubbers that were inspired by Thor's.

Tibhar's K1 Hybrid has a range of variants from Euro feeling to Chinese feeling - my favorite control rubber.

A while back, Sanwei made an interesting hybrid rubber Target National which has a touch gear and a driving gear.
DHS is no slouch either, producing rubbers for Stiga (Genesis M, which was like a quality controlled version of DHS TinArc) and even updating their beginner rubbers like PF4 with an elastic sponge.
Also, Kokotaku Tuple 007 Pro has a distinct hybrid feel (Chinese topsheet, tensioned sponge) - my favorite attacking rubber.

Cheers!

PS:
the ball is still not as well made/consistent as celluloid: Nittaku Premiums play more DIFFERENTLY from any other brand than celluloid 2* vs 3* did. DHS also makes some good balls, but you have to pay NITTAKU Premium prices to get them. Other companies, like Butterfly, still make gimmicky feeling balls like the G40 (wow-the sound!) and S40 (wow-the spin!) series. 

Haven't played Since 2014! Except 2 and half years ago for a few months before having my last 2 knee operations.

A lot has changed, I didn't keep up to date with TT much tbh, just watched some pro matches here and there. I have seen very recently a lot of new rubbers its crazy, also the price of Tenergies and this new Dignics!

Well now that I have no £$£$£ to spare anymore I will not be EJing at all anymore. Was playing with my old league bat Donic WSC, Regular H3/Thors until I settled on playing with the faster blade Stiga Clipper with the only brand new rubbers I had left. I will stick with what I got until they die (which is like 6-12months lol).

I don't know how any of these new rubbers play now but Thors is about as fast as I'm willing to go tbh, it's very quick on my Clipper. If i don't get chances to try any of the new rubbers I will very likely just stick to Thors and TG3 Neo (maybe just use either one on both sides even), or perhaps try Hurricane 8.

I would love to learn about some of the rubbers though. Friendship 729 08 looks interesting, tibhar hybrid k2 looks VERY interesting but a bit pricy. As I read through this entire thread again I saw that Thors has been changed, wondering if anyone has tried the new one?

Edited by Ndragon88 - 10/26/2020 at 6:43am
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2020 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Welcome back!

Here's a quick recap:

Cheers!

PS:

Haven't played Since early 2012! Except 2 and half years ago for a few months before having my last 2 knee operations.

A lot has changed, I didn't keep up to date with TT much tbh, just watched some pro matches here and there. I have seen very recently a lot of new rubbers its crazy, also the price of Tenergies and this new Dignics!

Well now that I have no £$£$£ to spare anymore I will not be EJing at all anymore. Was playing with my old league bat Donic WSC, Regular H3/Thors until I settled on playing with the faster blade Stiga Clipper with the only brand new rubbers I had left. I will stick with what I got until they die (which is like 6-12months lol).

I don't know how any of these new rubbers play now but Thors is about as fast as I'm willing to go tbh, it's very quick on my Clipper. If i don't get chances to try any of the new rubbers I will very likely just stick to Thors and TG3 Neo (maybe just use either one on both sides even), or perhaps try Hurricane 8.

I would love to learn about some of the rubbers though. Friendship 729 08 looks interesting, tibhar hybrid k2 looks VERY interesting but a bit pricy. As I read through this entire thread again I saw that Thors has been changed, wondering if anyone has tried the new one?
Hi Nick, it's Kevin from Ellen! I would recommend Rakza Z on FH and MX-P on backhand, they're the rubbers I've been using for the last few months :)
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2020 at 3:35am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Hi Nick, it's Kevin from Ellen! I would recommend Rakza Z on FH and MX-P on backhand, they're the rubbers I've been using for the last few months :)

No way! Small world. Although part of me not surprised coz I definitely had you down for an EJ haha

I no longer have the desire or cashLOL to EJ or even try something new. Especially these euro jap rubbers, so expensive now >.<
But I will happily try your bat one day if the opportunity ever comes up Wink

Edited by Ndragon88 - 10/26/2020 at 3:51am
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 565758
  Share Topic