Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

(Video) Half-Long Serves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JakiGosc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakiGosc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Video) Half-Long Serves
    Posted: 01/30/2011 at 5:08pm
Here are some of my half-long serves, as well as several double-bounce serves. What do you think?

I know I look very lazy serving, but it gets very tiring to stand on bended knees and jump into position after every serve, which is I am standing almost uprightDead.

I don't stomp my foot because it is a dance floor (not very tough). As you can tell, it is very easy to read spin due to the acoustics in the room.

Also, how do you like my backhand serve on 0:57 Wink

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Edited by JakiGosc - 01/30/2011 at 5:11pm
Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2011 at 5:20pm
I like how crisp and sharp your serve motion is. In spite of the acceleration you get they seem very precise with the added bonus of of quick recovery.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
JakiGosc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakiGosc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2011 at 5:42pm
Thanks. I learn many serves from videos youtube. For example, Michael Maze on 0:14, Timo Boll on 0:22, Ma Lin heheSmile  on 0:23, Chen Qi on 0:49, 3 Par Gerrels on 0:50 (he is shorter so his body motion looks much different than mine), and Dimitrij Propockov on 1:03.

Edited by JakiGosc - 01/30/2011 at 5:43pm
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2011 at 10:10pm

The best winning service of mine. (top/side spin with a high travelling velocity)
Have learned this from a visiting senior guy some 30 years ago, and it still can get my opponents totally upset nowdays: due to the apparent prominence (up to 5 cm) the ball will go outwards the side line. Quite bizzare sight to the receiver's eye!
To enhance the service's destructive effect, one should alternate the service directions occasionally as shown in red.

Edited by igorponger - 01/30/2011 at 10:34pm
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 4:21am
Thumbs Up
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 5:43am

Perfect serves, and lot of diversification. Could you please name/label all serves you perform. Slomo version would also be a great asset to TT community.

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 8:24am
Nice.... great serves....  Thumbs Up

Clap
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
tabletenniscoach.net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletenniscoach.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 8:31am
Yeh.  Very nice!  I particularly like the 7th serve.  A slightly bigger action but an awful lot of movement on the ball.

Do you mind if I post the link on my website as a nice set of examples of a half long serve?

Cheers.

www.tabletenniscoach.net - for hints, tips and drills, free to download.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 9:10am
Your serves seem to be very good! Thanks for uploading. They seem to have a lot of spin and I often don't realize what type of spin you put on the ball until I see the trajectory. I would certainly have trouble returning them in a decent manner.
However, I think your 'half-long' serves are actually long serves and can be attacked easily (of course only if you know the spin...). In my understanding, a half-long serve is a serve which bounces twice on the table, with the second bounce just before the end of the table, but there might be other definitions. 
lecrivain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lecrivain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 11:45am
Hello,

Many of your serves are illegal according to the ITTF rules.

I'm not sure if you noticed lately but the Pro Tour umpires are really starting to enforce the ITTF rules especially as they pertain to the service.

The service rules (and all the others) can be found here.

http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/ittf_hb.html

Good Luck!

Edited by lecrivain - 01/31/2011 at 11:46am
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by lecrivain lecrivain wrote:

Hello,

Many of your serves are illegal according to the ITTF rules.

I'm not sure if you noticed lately but the Pro Tour umpires are really starting to enforce the ITTF rules especially as they pertain to the service.

The service rules (and all the others) can be found here.

http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/ittf_hb.html

Good Luck!

If you referring to the fact that his arm goes across the trajectory of the ball, then look again - the ball itself is never (almost) obscured, and that is the only important thing. Couple of times it is debatable or perhaps illegal but most of his serves are legal.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
lecrivain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lecrivain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 12:07pm
Hello,

I was referring to how his toss starts in the middle of the table and he contacts the ball in the BH corner of the table.

That is not a vertically tossed ball. According to the rules, that makes a serve illegal.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 12:39pm
True. But unless his toss is more horizontal than vertical umpires do not really care much about that - this is one of the rules which are really hard to enforce and also it is not really that important (unless a guy tosses the ball horizontally onto the blade)

See here (fresh from English Open 2011) the very first serve by Wang Hao (and many many others) - is it any different from JakiGosc's serves?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PwctnPVjws

hbelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

True. But unless his toss is more horizontal than vertical umpires do not really care much about that - this is one of the rules which are really hard to enforce and also it is not really that important (unless a guy tosses the ball horizontally onto the blade)

See here (fresh from English Open 2011) the very first serve by Wang Hao (and many many others) - is it any different from JakiGosc's serves?

I say JakiGosc's toss travels near twice as far horizonally as Wang Hao's.  It starts in the middle of the table and is struck off the table of the BH corner.  Would not be worth the risk to me to have someone call me on it during a match and have to get an official involved.
Current setup:
Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon
FH: Nittaku Hammond Pro B 1.9
BH: Nittaku Hammond Pro B 1.9

Glue: Free Chack

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 3:03am

The ITTF has added some images and discussion to the 2010 Handbook for Match Officials that should help to clarify this a bit.  Based on the sketches, my own sense of what "nearly vertical" means, and the fact that for a serve be legal it (according to the rules) must be clearly legal,I consider a number of the original poster's serves with lower tosses to be illegal.  Whether I'd call them or not would depend on input and guidance from the tournament referee.  While in a perfect world the serves would be called per the rule, this isn't a perfect world.  Given that, I'm willing to settle for consistent interpretation between umpires.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 3:20am

I'd say that the majority of Wang Hao's serves are legal but that there are four or five serves that are illegal.  Though if viewed from eye level, I might change that opinion.  I'm concerned that the high camera angle may be "squashing" the perception of the amount of vertical travel and making the toss angle seem less vertical.

That said, I've seen much worse routinely allowed in ITTF matches.  Though maybe with the revised handbook, the ITTF is trying to crack down on the horizontal tossing.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 3:51am
I don't think he'll get caught for his serves, as long as I can see the contact point clearly I'm not a complainer. By the way, that's some amazing variety of serves that you've mastered, kudos for that! Clap

By the way, some of the half-long serves are actually too long and quite attackable by skilled players, but the majority of them drop down to the edge of the table during the 2nd "bounce", which makes for a high quality half-long serve. Very hard to attack,hard to flick and hard to push short as well, perfect for a 3rd ball attack. It'll be good if you labelled each serve though... (the type of spin on the ball). It would be a very good learning resource for people. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
lecrivain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lecrivain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 7:55am
Hello,
The service information I provided was not meant to detract from his accomplishments. By no means.

So if he is playing and gets faulted for his serves, would the umpire be considered a complainer?

Instead of using Wang Hao as an excuse/example to develop potentially questionable serves, why not use someone else like Samsonov? Even when we were allowed to hide our serves, his service technique was beautiful and legal.

Mr. JakiGosc, you've done well! But don't stop improving on the good.
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 9:57am
To the players it's more a matter of what is generally allowed rather than the wording of the  rule itself. A picky umpire could get him for not throwing with enough vertical. But most umpires would not fault those serves.

I'd love to see a closeup of those serves. 
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

To the players it's more a matter of what is generally allowed rather than the wording of the  rule itself. A picky umpire could get him for not throwing with enough vertical. But most umpires would not fault those serves.

I'd love to see a closeup of those serves. 

Yes, from a professional player's point of view it will generally be a matter of what is allowed with the idea in mind that what is allowed defines what is legal.

I do think, however, that it is unfortunate that the rule and what is allowed are sometimes not the same.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 11:23am
I've given up telling people what they can or can't do with their serves..
They will only do it right for a few times then back to their old serves..
I just try to deal with whatever serves they throw at me... probably more than 90% of the grass root players have not read the rules anyway...
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Dagoboz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dagoboz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 12:47pm
As far as the rules go, your serves are in compliance with

2.6.1 Service shall start with the ball 
resting freely on the open palm of 
the server's stationary free hand.

Of all the rules of serves this is the most violated by far. In fact I suspect most players are unaware of it. The key word here is 

"stationary"
Definition: not moving; standing still

Service in this game begins with a motionless ball on a motionless hand. Very rare to see outside of  the professionals.

Edited by Dagoboz - 02/01/2011 at 12:49pm
Blade: Maze
FH: Something
BH: Something Else
JakiGosc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakiGosc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 12:35pm
I had to use a free video converter for this video, which is why the quality is terrible; it was recorded as HD at 60 fps. Regarding the legality of my service, I do see what you mean by not throwing the ball perfectly straight, but it feels very awkward to do that when serving closeto the body. I play tournaments regularly and have not been called for illegal service yet. However, i am practicing higher toss on every serve except the reverse pendulum (shoulder gets in the way for high toss) to shorten the amount of time opponent can look at my paddle, so in a few months i should be adept with those serves.

Igorponger, i do like to do that serve, but unfortunately too many players in Poland have strong backhand :) 80% of the time i will get strong drive around the net from my training partner. It works ok against 80% forehand players, but for me it is risky servewhich i would use maybe 2-3 times in a game.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by lecrivain lecrivain wrote:

Hello,
The service information I provided was not meant to detract from his accomplishments. By no means.

So if he is playing and gets faulted for his serves, would the umpire be considered a complainer?

Instead of using Wang Hao as an excuse/example to develop potentially questionable serves, why not use someone else like Samsonov? Even when we were allowed to hide our serves, his service technique was beautiful and legal.

Mr. JakiGosc, you've done well! But don't stop improving on the good.

True that.

However, advising someone to copy Samsonov's serves is tricky. I do some of those too, but a lot of players much prefer closer to the body execution and do not toss the ball high vertically. Telling them they'd better switch to Samsonov style serves is not a good advice and can be even considered patronizing. It's almost like telling someone "your FH topspin loops are not great, stop doing them at all, better just push or chop the ball from there"

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Dagoboz Dagoboz wrote:

Of all the rules of serves this is the most violated by far. In fact I suspect most players are unaware of it. The key word here is 

"stationary"

Service in this game begins with a motionless ball on a motionless hand. Very rare to see outside of  the professionals.

Notice however that nowhere in the rule it states that the ball must not touch the fingers. Some umpires think that the ball absolutely must be in the middle (cup of the palm). I got faulted at the Nationals for that which imho was incorrect umpire's interpretation of the rule.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 2:31pm

Originally posted by Dagoboz Dagoboz wrote:

"stationary"

Notice however that nowhere in the rule it states that the ball must not touch the fingers. Some umpires think that the ball absolutely must be in the middle (cup of the palm). I got faulted at the Nationals for that which imho was incorrect umpire's interpretation of the rule.

I think the umpire's interpretation is correct.  Fingers are not part of the palm.  I can't imagine how the ball could be touching a finger while resting freely on the open palm unless the ball is also resting on the fingers.  The rule doesn't say that the ball must be at least partially resting on the open palm - which was apparently the case with your serve.  That said, I'd probably call a let if the ball was straddling the border between your fingers and palm because there is some ambiguity in the way the rule is written.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic