Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where are you supposed to hit the ball on the bat?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Where are you supposed to hit the ball on the bat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Klaus123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 9:55pm
If your blade has got a small sweetspot and you don’t play for spin, you should hit the ball with the center.

If you use a stiff blade with large sweet spot and don’t use your wrist for spinning the ball, it doesn’t matter where you hit the ball.

If you use your wrist for spinning the ball (especially in serving) then hit the ball with the upper part of the blade for maximum leverage.

Sponsored Links

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 10:07pm
Klaus123,
+1
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 11:11pm
Its all I can do to hit the ball. The only time I think about where on the paddle to hit the ball is when I am serving.  Then I like to hit the ball about 1 inch from the tip.   I don't care about efficiency, I want maximum spin.

I look at the marks on my paddle before I clean it an look to see how consistent I am.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 11:14pm
pnachtwey,
     Many people could learn alot by checking the pattern on the bat after playing. I also check every time I play.  Smile
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2011 at 12:41am
I loop off center as well. I just did it from the start because I thought it would be better for spin. So its just natural. But I think its a bad habit because I think counter hits and blocks are supposed to be in the middle of the racket. 
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2011 at 12:55am
Kenney88,
     Just like the pattern from a shotgun. if you shift the center of you group to the edge,, (pattern of hits on the rubber) you will notice more edge hits than if the group is in the center. No matter how good a player is, there will be many balls outside of the main group. At high level, the loops are so fast and spinny, the main problem is just getting the bat on the ball. 
     When you get edge hits, are they towards the side you have shifed the pattern to?
Timo Boll2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo Boll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2011 at 1:28pm
Depends on what spin do you want to get. If you want to use no spin, hit the ball just at the center.
If you want topspin, hit with the top, if you want backspin, hit with the bottom, if you want sidespin hit with the left or right side.

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2011 at 1:55pm
Timo,
     You must be talking about where to make contact on the ball. Then you are correct but; they are talking about where to hit the ball on the bat.  Smile
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo Boll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2011 at 4:52pm
Oh i`m truly sorry about what i said.Sorry i just open my mouth too often.

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2011 at 4:59pm
No Timo, this is the place to talk. I have misunderstood some things here also.
I am sure you have things to offer I would like to hear. At least your information was absolutly correct!  SmileThumbs Up
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2011 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

Originally posted by cls2222 cls2222 wrote:

[QUOTE=takaaki] [QUOTE=APW46]If in the heat of a fast rally, you have the co-ordination to exact your contact point on your bat, its a dream, wake up. The only viable time to realistically do this with any consistency is when you serve/recieve/play touch shots.

for god's sake, APW, can't you do better than that??  you're s'posed to be a coach, right??  what did christ say about the blind leading the blind???

"I don't understand how you find APW's post misleading; it's pretty much common sense to any good table tennis player."  common sense?  no, it's not.  he didn't say anything at all when you think about it and i just think that's just unacceptable for a coach, not to mention untrue.  in his defense, one could say that maybe he just didn't feel like giving the long answer since most of the n00bies here wouldn't understand it anyway.  take hookshot's response to the video, for example.

"Do you consciously think of where on the blade you want to contact the ball when you are counterhitting?"  yes, i do.  i consciously aim to hit it around 12-1:00 as herr feth says. 

I think you need to read the question again, he's asking where to hit the ball ON THE BAT, not what part of the ball to strikeWink Would you be so kind as to explain to us where '12-1:00' is on your blade?
 You can't because it does not exist, Stefan Feth is referring to the part of THE BALL that should be struck, which probably explains why I'm the coach and you are not.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo Boll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 3:35am
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

No Timo, this is the place to talk. I have misunderstood some things here also.
I am sure you have things to offer I would like to hear. At least your information was absolutly correct!  SmileThumbs Up

Well, that is an easy thing.  You know everybody can tell you what spin you get depending on where you hit the ball. Sorry, i got nothing left to say cause i don`t understand most of the things. I just use my own experience ( despite i`ve been playing for about 2 years only but i`m advanced player and i live in Bulgaria.)

And don`t worry, you didn`t misunderstood anything. 

P.S
  At least you are from the USA - New york, Charlotte, North Carolina, Dakota , Las Vegas, Vermont, Maryland, Las Vegas, San Francisco, California - anyway it`s 200x better than the place where i live. So don`t surprise if i am looking like a fool to you. The education system is poor. I even wish i was american, i would be always right, just like you.

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 3:46am
LOL, If I was always right, I would be rich!  I am not rich. LOL
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo Boll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 4:09am
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

LOL, If I was always right, I would be rich!  I am not rich. LOL

Well, ain`t it so? Okay, you are right ALMOST everytime.

By the way, you can be rich.

And you may become a pro at tt.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 4:28am
Originally posted by Timo Boll2 Timo Boll2 wrote:

The education system is poor. I even wish i was american, i would be always right, just like you.

This is only because the education system is bad. If it was good you would never had that desire. LOL
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 5:08pm
I think takaaki just read the post wrongly, I've done it myself many times.
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 5:56pm
I think it depends on your style. I'm guessing the chinese like to hit a little more to the edge than the europeans or top left like takaaki says. But I think for looping, all high level players try to hit towards the edge. Not edge, edge, just a little towards it. Like an inch or so. We should try an experiment, APW or JKC perform 50 forehand loops against backspin with a robot(robot balls are the most dusty). I think the dust marks will be the most concentrated towards the top left.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 7:08pm
IMO its harder to consistently use the center of the paddle than off center. The fastest part of the racket is slightly off center towards the edge. 
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

I know for backhand looping, it's towards the edge (about an inch away from the center). Is this the same for forehand looping? I was reading that the Chinese hit towards the edge. I think pingskills says to hit towards the center for control looping.

On the axis of rotation
where you adjust the angle of the bat with your wrist is exactly where you should hit the ball.  On your FH, try open/close your racket face with your wrist rapidly... You should be able to find where the axis is.  Most of the time it should be smack in the center of the sweet spot.  Only by consistently hitting the ball on the axis you can deliver the most power and perform the widest range of racket adjustments during contact.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2011 at 5:03am

My 'ware patch' is right in the middle of my bat in the sweet spot always.

popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2011 at 6:51am
I use a very compact forehand loop, the most ware indentation on my rubber is about 1/2 to 1 inch up, and 1/2 to 1 inch towards the left. 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2011 at 7:01am
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

I think it depends on your style. I'm guessing the chinese like to hit a little more to the edge than the europeans or top left like takaaki says. But I think for looping, all high level players try to hit towards the edge. Not edge, edge, just a little towards it. Like an inch or so.
 This is just pure speculation, you are right, you are guessing. 'High level players' hit the sweet spot, right in the middle as often as possible. Some players may because of quirks in their grip/style hit off centre, but it is never coached, whether in Europe or China.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic