Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Video] A Few matches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Video] A Few matches
    Posted: 03/12/2011 at 12:11pm
As requested, I managed to record a few of my matches. Please give me some feedback, some tips to improve my game, and (if you can) rate me. My set-up is Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft on the forehand and Friendship 802-1 short pips on the backhand like I have in my signature. Thanks.

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 4:13pm
First off - it's brilliant that you posted video vs multiple opponents. Thank you for taking the time to upload and share these. This helps get a more complete picture of how you deal with different spin/placement and pace. Forum members would benefit from your example!

Secondly, I'm not at the level where I could provide much in the way of useful technical advice, so take this with a grain of salt:

Work on getting in position before you take the shot, (you already to this for your FH push, but attacks appear rushed without regard to your feet, especially backhand attacks) and concentrate on stroking the ball instead of guiding it with your forehand (I do the same thing!). Also, I recommend taking less risky shots when you are jammed at the elbow.

You look most comfortable playing pongsakohrn. Is he by any chance your most regular opponent of the three? Or is it simply that his technique is the most consistent, and he is giving you regular balls that are easier to read and counterhit?

I will comment on equipment :)

Notes from an EJ
Ian's equipment is way too fast for him; note the number of long balls and that he has to back up 6 feet for his topspins to hit the table. 
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

First off - it's brilliant that you posted video vs multiple opponents. Thank you for taking the time to upload and share these.

This helps get a more complete picture of how you deal with different spin/placement and pace.

Forum members should learn from this example!

Secondly, I'm not at the level where I could provide much in the way of useful technical advice, so take this with a grain of salt:

Work on getting in position before you take the shot, (you already to this for your FH push, but attacks appear rushed without regard to your feet, especially backhand attacks) and concentrate on stroking the ball instead of guiding it with your forehand (I do the same thing!). Also, I recommend taking less risky shots when you are jammed at the elbow.

You look most comfortable playing pongsakohrn. Is he by any chance your most regular opponent of the three? Or is it simply that his technique is the most consistent, and he is giving you regular balls that are easier to read and counterhit?

I will comment on equipment :)

Notes from an EJ
Ian's equipment is way too fast for him; note the number of long balls and that he has to back up 6 feet for his topspins to hit the table. 

Thank you very much, this is a very good reply back. I would say overall I have played Pongsakohrn more than Ian or Hui but he is easily better than both of them. It seems that when I play people who are worse than me I play only a little better than they do. Pongsakohrn is pretty equal to my level so I'm usually playing close to the max against him. Hui however is at a lower level but when I play him I play closer to his level but still just a little higher to beat him (I hope this makes sense). Also, certain styles throw me off. I play the worst against close to the table backspin pushers (As much as I don't like pushblocker's style I might get only 1 or 2 points per game against him). Traditional driving penholders like Hui also throw me off but Hui is lower level so I can beat him. There's another player higher level player named Noor who plays a penhold driving game and he gives me a lot of trouble. There's a video of him playing someone else on my hvcctt channel.

It's funny you mention Ian's equipment. Ian is using this premade Donic that you can add or take weights from the handle. He says he likes a heavier feel and just added another weight to the handle. I'm not so sure it's a good idea. In my opinion the lighter the better however I'm not going to choose lighter equipment if it doesn't perform the way I want. To me it's performance 1 and lightness 2.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
lilactime031 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 6:28pm

You have bad technique in fh mostly because of lack of footwork and right body position. In bh the  things are better when you hit, but is wrong the attitude with the high chops.

First of all decide what you wanna play. If you want to have some kind of offensive choices in your fh you must to avoid top spin against back spin pushes. Your skills and your body do not allow you to attack easily against backspin For that you must put a long pip in your bh in order to decrease the back spin and you will attack easier from fh. Additionally these chops you make will be more dangerous. In this case you must forget the bh hitting.

If you wanna hit from bh then for me is better to do it with a trickier short pip rubber. Dawei C-1 is very good for that job.

If you want to improve your fh top spin try to find a move with biggest  participation of  shoulder and forearm and not with waist. You must to end the move of fh top spin with the shoulder up and your arm a front and a bit up from your eyes.

Also try to attack more with your bh, it's easier because you don't need to involve your body and the short pips can kill the no spin balls easily. When you receive backspin pushes you must use your wrist more.

You reach a level but you need to work harder. I don't know how many times you practice weekly but you need exercises not only sets. And try to play with better position.Try to  transfer your body weight forward. Not too much but you need some.

e-pingpongshop
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by lilactime031 lilactime031 wrote:

You have bad technique in fh mostly because of lack of footwork and right body position. In bh the  things are better when you hit, but is wrong the attitude with the high chops.

First of all decide what you wanna play. If you want to have some kind of offensive choices in your fh you must to avoid top spin against back spin pushes. Your skills and your body do not allow you to attack easily against backspin For that you must put a long pip in your bh in order to decrease the back spin and you will attack easier from fh. Additionally these chops you make will be more dangerous. In this case you must forget the bh hitting.

If you wanna hit from bh then for me is better to do it with a trickier short pip rubber. Dawei C-1 is very good for that job.

If you want to improve your fh top spin try to find a move with biggest  participation of  shoulder and forearm and not with waist. You must to end the move of fh top spin with the shoulder up and your arm a front and a bit up from your eyes.

Also try to attack more with your bh, it's easier because you don't need to involve your body and the short pips can kill the no spin balls easily. When you receive backspin pushes you must use your wrist more.

You reach a level but you need to work harder. I don't know how many times you practice weekly but you need exercises not only sets. And try to play with better position.Try to  transfer your body weight forward. Not too much but you need some.

Thank you for the reply. I'm much more of an attacker so long pips doesn't work for me. That Dawei rubber you mentioned is a medium pip rubber but to be honest, I've always wondered how I would do with a medium pip rubber. I think you may be right when it comes to my forehand that I twist with my waist too much. Besides using long pips, how can I avoid backspin pushes? That was a very good observation about my trouble with backspin pushes. I'm not too bad with long distance backspin but backspin over the table (especially on the forehand) is a real weakness of mine. How can I avoid this without long pips?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 7:09pm
A few things to work on;

Balls on the wide forhand, you crossover with the left leg.

Waiting too long on the backhand and pushing from the top of the arc or after when the ball is falling. This gives easy, high balls back. Try blocking off the bounce or hitting at the top. (step in, not back)

You make some nice backhand hits but other times you try to use an inverted loop stroke with the pips giving an easy, high, low spin ball.

Get some coaching on forhand loops. You have almost no topspin on loops. How do I know? I watch what the ball does when you hit one in the net. They just bounce off or roll off to the side. They should keep charging the net.

Very good you show playing against different people.  Smile

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

A few things to work on;

Balls on the wide forhand, you crossover with the left leg.

Waiting too long on the backhand and pushing from the top of the arc or after when the ball is falling. This gives easy, high balls back. Try blocking off the bounce or hitting at the top. (step in, not back)

You make some nice backhand hits but other times you try to use an inverted loop stroke with the pips giving an easy, high, low spin ball.

Get some coaching on forhand loops. You have almost no topspin on loops. How do I know? I watch what the ball does when you hit one in the net. They just bounce off or roll off to the side. They should keep charging the net.

Very good you show playing against different people.  Smile

Thanks for the reply especially what you said about pushes. I'll try to take them earlier. However, I completely disagree that my forehand loops aren't spinny. How do I know? I know because out of all three videos I only hit one loop against topspin into the net. This was against Ian. Just because I had one loop against topspin with low spin doesn't mean that all of them are. I may have hit a few drives into the net but drives aren't supposed to be very spinny. In fact, I almost never hit loops against topspin into the net ever. When I screw up a loop I either miss it entirely or hit it off the table (what happens more than 90% of the time I screw up loops). You can see this with all three of the videos I posted. What I've been hearing from everyone and what I have seen myself is that I need to work on footwork and recovery to improve the consistency.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 7:51pm
for push rallys, just ask a mate to practice a pushing rally with you
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 7:58pm

C-1 plays like a tricky short pip , don't fear the word medium pip. You can hit very easy with C-1  only the ball after the hit tends to go down and confuse your opponent.

Now when the ball comes to your fh you should attack with top spin. All i am try to say is that you must develop your technique in order to attack with top spin the no spin or back spin pushes without to involve your leggs your body and your waist too much. This is a basic rule for all the players who can't easily follow the demands of technique because their body don't help them.

Per example please sea Bentsen top spin after Christian back spin pushes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tz9vQ7LRCs

1.32  1.42   2.43    1.54    2.30      the minutes.   Bentsen is 42 years old , his body is ok but is inflexible. So in his first top spin after backspin push he does bigger move with the hand (he starts the move behind his back) and he didn't use his body (only a litle transfer of weight from one legg to another). This is not the best move for you but it gives an idea how some world class players   (Bentsen has reached world raking 40 when he retired from national team of Denmark at 2005) react according their physical condition. 

For you the best is to don't turn your waist,  go near to the back spin ball, try to find her not too much down, let your racket down near to your right knee , don't strain your arm, the pimple in rubber must face opponent, then lift your shoulder , at the time you are very close to the ball start to use your forearm until you have 90 angle without stopping your shoulder  to go up and you will end move with your forearm in front and la bit up from your eyes. With the minimum body and waist participation you cn have a good top spin.

I saw this kind of top spin in Prague when i visited some clubs there. I can say its very effective and helps a lot of players to easily attack against backspin pushes.

Only you should  use your leggs  not something special but soy should.

And again in the video of Bentsen please sea 2.04   2.12   2.23    3,00 . His backhand attack is much more dangerous without high trajectory and with decent speed, because bh technique requires mostly wrist action.  You can achieve this with the short pimple  very easy

e-pingpongshop
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 8:08pm
when you start the use of forearm you should be ready to brush the ball sidways
e-pingpongshop
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 8:38pm
lilactime this is very very good advice. I really like Bentsen's forehand topspin against backspin technique. I'm going to try this.

The only reason I don't want to use anything longer than short pips is because I short pips offer amazing speed. I like the whole idea of reversal and deception but 802-1 short pips are lightening fast, offer great control, and are not very sensitive to spin. I was inspired by Guo Kai's backhand and aim to have one just like his. Please watch this match between Zhao Peng and Guo Kai at 4:32 to see what I mean:

Edited by GeneralSpecific - 03/12/2011 at 8:40pm
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 9:07pm
When you get a nice chance (ball) to loop (plenty of time etc), you need to really try to end the point there and then. Not suicidally aggressive, but really quite hard to as nasty a spot as you can. I see alot of (exciting I suppose) rallies where you could have dispatched them nice and early.

Perhaps the lack of killing is due to technique, but even hitting softly you can really mess people up by mixing up your strokes more. Hit some left and right, fast and slow, spinny and not. For hitting left and right feel free to change your feet position. When the opponents go back too far you can try a slower very spinny short loop, which can really mess people up, sorta like a drop shot but somewhat safer. You seem to like hitting BH to BH and FH to FH i.e. crosscourt. While this is safer, dont be afraid to mix it up. For example, try to hit a step around FH into their deep BH. Just watching you I could predict where the ball was going to go next, and the opponent could do so too, making it too easy for them.

FH loop wise, you have reasonably active feet for your level and get into position to hit the ball, which is good. However, you only use your waist, and lock the rest of your joints. You need to use the other muscles available to you, most importantly the FH elbow snap. Most people are lazy and use only their arm without waist and feet, but you seem the other way round.

Actually, as you get better and the opponents more vicious, you will need to severely shorten your stroke, often you will have just enough time to get bat to the ball, so good wrist and hand timing to add power becomes critical. However, I think this is not so much a problem for now, so best to work one step at a time.

Most of the serves from both sides are long. PUNISH THEM!!! If you see a guy stand 70cm from the table and throw the ball casually up and serve it, it WILL BE LONG. GET HIM!!!! YYYYARRGGGHH!!! FOR SPARTAAAA!!! AngryAngryAngryAngry

Edited by Vassily - 03/12/2011 at 9:24pm
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Vassily Vassily wrote:

When you get a nice chance (ball) to loop (plenty of time etc), you need to really try to end the point there and then. Not suicidally aggressive, but really quite hard to as nasty a spot as you can. I see alot of (exciting I suppose) rallies where you could have dispatched them nice and early.

Perhaps the lack of killing is due to technique, but even hitting softly you can really mess people up by mixing up your strokes more. Hit some left and right, fast and slow, spinny and not. For hitting left and right feel free to change your feet position. When the opponents go back too far you can try a slower very spinny short loop, which can really mess people up, sorta like a drop shot but somewhat safer. You seem to like hitting BH to BH and FH to FH i.e. crosscourt. While this is safer, dont be afraid to mix it up. For example, try to hit a step around FH into their deep BH. Just watching you I could predict where the ball was going to go next, and the opponent could do so too, making it too easy for them.

FH loop wise, you have reasonably active feet for your level and get into position to hit the ball, which is good. However, you only use your waist, and lock the rest of your joints. You need to use the other muscles available to you, most importantly the FH elbow snap. Most people are lazy and use only their arm without waist and feet, but you seem the other way round.

Actually, as you get better and the opponents more vicious, you will need to severely shorten your stroke, often you will have just enough time to get bat to the ball, so good wrist and hand timing to add power becomes critical. However, I think this is not so much a problem for now, so best to work one step at a time.

Most of your serves are long? I think both sides are serving long alot? Hard to be sure from the angle, but thats what I think. When the opponents serve long, PUNISH THEM!!! If you see a guy stand 70cm from the table and throw the ball casually up and serve it, it WILL BE LONG. GET HIM!!!! YYYYARRGGGHH!!! FOR SPARTAAAA!!! AngryAngryAngryAngry

Thanks, I like all of your tips. Especially for placement and for more arm on the forehand. I'll do it for Sparta.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 9:33pm
I think "placement" has the connotation of deliberately "placing" the ball slowly and precisely. While precision is good, but not at the expense of power! Left or right 2cm wont make much difference, so just aim to hit the ball in a vague direction, but hard and well. Use more angles. Try to hit the ball more angled than the corner (if you know what I mean).

You need to inject more SPARTAAA into your play I believe. When they attack, dont think to just passively block. Try to inject a bit of pace in yourself, and think "where can I aim it so that THEY have to be passive and then I can be aggressive on the next shot?", i.e. alway be thinking to try to turn the tables on them.

SP play is extremely aggressive. You need to have a really psychotic mentality to play it well. Im not sure where you plan to take your SP BH, but if you are going to do it in the traditional SP BH style you need to be much fiercer and not back away from the table.

Edited by Vassily - 03/12/2011 at 9:34pm
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Vassily Vassily wrote:

I think "placement" has the connotation of deliberately "placing" the ball slowly and precisely. While precision is good, but not at the expense of power! Left or right 2cm wont make much difference, so just aim to hit the ball in a vague direction, but hard and well. Use more angles. Try to hit the ball more angled than the corner (if you know what I mean).

You need to inject more SPARTAAA into your play I believe. When they attack, dont think to just passively block. Try to inject a bit of pace in yourself, and think "where can I aim it so that THEY have to be passive and then I can be aggressive on the next shot?", i.e. alway be thinking to try to turn the tables on them.

SP play is extremely aggressive. You need to have a really psychotic mentality to play it well. Im not sure where you plan to take your SP BH, but if you are going to do it in the traditional SP BH style you need to be much fiercer and not back away from the table.

I know what you meant. I was practicing cross court fades with Pongsakohrn yesterday. Very Powerful and deadly like a Spartan.

You asked where I want to take my backhand. I posted a video right above your first comment. Go 4 minutes and 32 seconds into the video and watch the match with Guo Kai and Zhao peng. Guo Kai has the backhand that I want.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2011 at 5:04am

@GeneralSpecific

don't try to follow Bentsen top spin move

you will find problems if you try to start the move from behind , you should start the move lower , your racket near to your knee and then lift shoulder

the key is: use shoulder and forearm more instead of waist and forearm

e-pingpongshop
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2011 at 5:12am
...and one advice for all players...some here try to copy the moves of ma Long or Wang Liqin...this is a big mistake for the most of the players because they support their skills with the very good and athletic body shape...it is better to look for examples in good players who don't have the speed and the power of superstars...German super league gives very good examples...
e-pingpongshop
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2011 at 11:50am
Originally posted by lilactime031 lilactime031 wrote:

@GeneralSpecific

don't try to follow Bentsen top spin move

you will find problems if you try to start the move from behind , you should start the move lower , your racket near to your knee and then lift shoulder

the key is: use shoulder and forearm more instead of waist and forearm

I'm watching his move at 1.32 and he's using very little waist but not too much shoulder. I'm going to try something similar but with less backswing and more shoulder like you suggested.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic