Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Where Your Eye's Should Be?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where Your Eye's Should Be?
    Posted: 03/23/2011 at 8:07pm
During a match, practice, or even robot training, where you should your eyes be at all time? I noticed that I look straight ahead and don't even look at my strokes and I fan a lot. I noticed looking at the ball as long as I can before I perform a stroke really made me more consistent. Where do you guys look when your doing any form of practice or match? Straight ahead? Always on the ball? Only at the ball half the time? ;) Thanks !
Sponsored Links

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2011 at 8:24pm
Anthony,
     The answer is in the Pace video. Watch during the slow-mo parts and it is clear he follows the ball to contact or very close. My coach in China harped on watching to contact also. It is very hard at first but is a good reason why you fan. You are dealing with more spin now and the ball curves more. Even against someone with a premade, you get more spin back now because of what you generate with your bat. There is alot in the vid, what are the shoulders doing, the head, the other hand and arm, the knees bent, stance, waist, feet, the elbow. Watch the vid! Watch the vid! Watch the vid!  Smile  Then watch the vid again!  Big smile
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2011 at 8:26pm
And then what? ;) Kidding. Thanks !
silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2011 at 8:44pm
I think it depends on the particular match.  If you're playing singles, then you should definitely follow the ball.  If you're playing mixed doubles....   
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2011 at 8:50pm
A match changes everything. It does not change practicing good form when learning, which will carry over to competition. 
 Mixed doubles has alot of "things" to watch besides the ball.  Smile
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2011 at 9:06pm
LOL. Wow guys. I know this is kind of off topic but I haven't seen one pretty "thing" in mixed doubles tournaments. 
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2011 at 9:20pm
I have, my wife for one. Cute, little Chinese girl.
There seems to not be as many girls playing now. When I was young, there were many girls for mixed doubles.
When I was a teenager, I got paired up with a beauty for doubles. I went for flat kill and got her right in the butt.  Big noise. She walked around holding her behind. Crowd was laughing. No date that night.  Smile
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2011 at 3:10pm
I look at where I'm NOT going to hit the ball right after looking into the eyes of the dude down the other end of the table. As for pretty things, I've seen a tall perfect girl warm up for a match by bending over backwards and putting her palms on the floor, yoga style then bend back up. She could actually play too, however I couldn't after seeing that :p it ruined me for days

She was certainly of equal quality to this if not better, so you can see why I was so disturbed

silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2011 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

I look at where I'm NOT going to hit the ball right after looking into the eyes of the dude down the other end of the table. As for pretty things, I've seen a tall perfect girl warm up for a match by bending over backwards and putting her palms on the floor, yoga style then bend back up. She could actually play too, however I couldn't after seeing that :p it ruined me for days

She was certainly of equal quality to this if not better, so you can see why I was so disturbed

I share your pain.  LOL
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2011 at 5:20pm
Don't exclusively follow the ball. While you are receiving, follow the ball in order to time its contact. Once you're in position to hit the ball - look at exact spot where you are aiming the ball go to.
Back to table tennis...
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2011 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Don't exclusively follow the ball. While you are receiving, follow the ball in order to time its contact. Once you're in position to hit the ball - look at exact spot where you are aiming the ball go to.

That's the point of keep your head low and striking the ball in front. That is, you can keep eye on ball, where you want to put it and a watch on your opponent.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2011 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by AnthonyTT AnthonyTT wrote:

During a match, practice, or even robot training, where you should your eyes be at all time? I noticed that I look straight ahead and don't even look at my strokes and I fan a lot. I noticed looking at the ball as long as I can before I perform a stroke really made me more consistent. Where do you guys look when your doing any form of practice or match? Straight ahead? Always on the ball? Only at the ball half the time? ;) Thanks !

hi anthony
The answer to this is not straight forward.
First
you must develop the ability to watch the ball onto the bat so that you eliminate air shots etc.
However, as you improve yr level you need to increase your awareness of yr opponent and where his balance is. this involves training yr peripheral vision (interpreting what you see in the corner of yr eye) and also being able to switch yr focus of yr normal vision between opponent and ball.
I was taught to focus on the ball when it bounces on my side until I have hit it (While trying to maintain awareness of opponent), Then once my shot is going toward my opponent focus on him, and try to interpret his shot and where he recovers to, and so on.
From my experience of coaching, and being coached peoples natural peripheral awareness varies widely, but can be improved over time.
Also if you are bad at watching the ball onto your bat, you will be too stressed to have much useful attention for your opponent
I suggest FIRST perfect watching the ball in your drills to begin with, THEN look at the peripheral awareness thing as more of a long term project
hope this helps

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 03/26/2011 at 9:31am
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2011 at 7:54pm
Pingpongpaddy,
     Well said.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic