FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Drill practice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sahiggs100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drill practice
    Posted: 06/22/2011 at 4:04pm
Me doing some drill practice with Filmon earlier today.  I'm looking for what I need to improve in this drill.  One thing that I noticed is that I need to do a second movement to get in better position for my forehands.  I got the first, after shot movement down but I need to move a second time, before the next shot.  Tell me what you all think.  I should be playing some more tonight and maybe be doing some more drills so I might record those too.

P.S.  My BH is long pips with sponge which why my BH looks a tad weird.

Drill practice

Blade: Nexy Lissom
FH: Gambler Outlaw Black
BH: RITC 802 Short Pips Red

Please Don't feed the EJ's!
Sponsored Links

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2011 at 4:52pm
thanks for the tips fatt.  I tend to put my body in my forehand shots when going to the opponents FH but for this drill, going to my partner's BH it seems harder for me.  I'm going to try applying your tips tho.

dici View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dici Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2011 at 4:53pm

Although there is something that looks not so right in the video, but I still can't think about what's wrong... but

1. try to practice on the BH stroke such that the ball will not go too high sometimes, even though it still hit the table

2. probably practice more on the FH stroke, sometimes looks like not so confidence on it

As for footwork, this suggestion may or may not work for you. Since I didn't not use it all the time. Instead of using a big step to move to left so that you can execute your FH loop, you can try to use two small steps. And also similar when you move back to the right.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2011 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by dici dici wrote:

Although there is something that looks not so right in the video, but I still can't think about what's wrong... but

1. try to practice on the BH stroke such that the ball will not go too high sometimes, even though it still hit the table

2. probably practice more on the FH stroke, sometimes looks like not so confidence on it

As for footwork, this suggestion may or may not work for you. Since I didn't not use it all the time. Instead of using a big step to move to left so that you can execute your FH loop, you can try to use two small steps. And also similar when you move back to the right.

The reason for the BH is because it is long pips with sponge and if I hit too hard it will be very linear and hard for my partner to hit back so I intentionally keep it a little high.  Thanks for the tips tho.

Edited by sahiggs100 - 06/22/2011 at 4:56pm

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2011 at 4:58pm
It is true that sometimes you need extra movement when stepping over your backhand. I think you footwork is alright. Sometimes you don't go left enough for the ball and sometimes you don't turn your upperbody. The forehand stroke needs more work. 
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2011 at 8:01pm
1. sometimes you are hitting the ball in your front rather than at your side.. try to go a steap or two farther to your left when doing pivot so that you can hit the ball better.. 

2. relax your wrist and use your wrist when using lp
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2011 at 10:09pm
I noticed a couple of things.
1.  Very often you are leaning on your right leg when hitting the ball.  Your weight should not remain on your right foot, it should transfer towards your left and then back to ready.
2.  It might be because you're working on keeping it on the table, but your arm looks like it's moving in slow motion.
3.  At the beginning it looked like you were pushing the ball instead of stroking/hitting the ball.

Edited by hookumsnivy - 06/22/2011 at 10:11pm
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 9:26am
i notice when you are hit the backhand shot you lean on your right foot.you should try to keep your weight balance this will make your transition easier from bh to fh.note on the fh on you down ward swing your wrist is pointing upwards instead of a more downward direction this is what is partly causing an upwards pushing motion when looping also no waist turning or simple term you are not turning your shoulders. also minimize the elbow movement(do not bring too far behind your right side) when you are looping on the forehand this will accentuate the pushing motion on your loops.also contact needs to be further in front to give you the forward movement.

hope this helps  
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 12:48pm
You are missing ministeps on both strokes, these allow for last second adjustments, but don't worry, they develop naturally as you progress.
The Older I get, The better I was.
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 2:07pm
Why do you use LP on BH? You look you can use inverted both sides with no problem at all..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
thepongcast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepongcast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 2:58pm
Good progression, my take on some minor adjustments for the FH:

As mentioned, your body is leaning heavily on the right when you start.  I did this as well and have been working on getting more balanced.  I think it's ok when you're going for a huge FH, where you're entire body, from the hips to the shoulders to the arm rotates through.  Your body should be doing a lot of work, but in this case it looks like you are getting ready for a heavy rotation but only your arm moves and then you get in an upright position afterwards.

But ideally you are more upright for every shot, including an aggressive winner.  What helped me to adjust in drills is to focus from the bottom up, instead of top down.  Instead of focusing on what my arm is doing I was way more focused on getting my feet into place and getting my center of gravity balanced, getting my waist to rotate, etc.  It's the foundation, and really made my FH much more consistent.  Looks like you're doing good on getting your feet in place, just add more attention to your body from the knees to your shoulders.

I also agree with loosening your arm a little more.  That's really just 2-3 minor things to tweak, you're on the right path.  You might get more pointers in person from Dash too, his FH is great.
Table tennis TV show & podcasts at ThePongcast.com
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 3:20pm
I agree with dragon kid...looks like you should be using at the very least short pips.  Your stroke is more like a conventional stroke so you can probably use inverted on your BH, but at the very least you should look into using a good short pips rubber on your BH rather than LP.
Also try to get a little more snap on your FH when you contact the ball. 
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2011 at 2:10pm
My quick observations. Some already pointed out by fatt.
1.) When doing a FH attack from deep BH corner you need to rotate your stance more. This will save you 1-2 steps worth of footwork and you should feel less jammed. More importantly it'll be easier to get back into a center table position.

2.) You're attempting to do footwork and this is good. This sort of BH, FH from BH corner drill is great for training yourself to always have a somewhat side-on position when launching a strong attack.
As for the footwork, you really lean on your right foot far too much. It takes away power and consistency from your FH because it becomes much harder to rotate your hips. Also it heavily impedes footwork. In the video it's most obvious when you side step to do the FH. Weight always is on the right foot. Try to land with weight on your left foot!
3.) Stroke - I can't comment about the BH since I am an inverted player. I'm assuming that the ball coming back to you is kind of dead, maybe a little top? If so your stroke needs to go forward a lot more and shouldn't really finish above your head.
Also since this is a drill you should focus on shoulder and hip rotation (this is where the weight on the right foot comes into play. It's much harder to rotate with your weight on your right foot).
If you're trying to do a slow loop your racket needs to drop straight down and your arm must be completely relaxed before the stroke.

Again, I'm a newer player myself. I'm just lucky enough to have a good coach who has helped me see the flaws in my own style. I have a lot of the same issues you do (I lean on my right foot and during my BH my elbow is waaaayy too high)
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2011 at 3:46am
Originally posted by sahiggs100 sahiggs100 wrote:

Me doing some drill practice with Filmon earlier today.  I'm looking for what I need to improve in this drill.  One thing that I noticed is that I need to do a second movement to get in better position for my forehands.  I got the first, after shot movement down but I need to move a second time, before the next shot.  Tell me what you all think.  I should be playing some more tonight and maybe be doing some more drills so I might record those too.

Drill practice

My observations:
1) Switch to another table if you can. That table is junk, its made of aluminum veneer and its meant for outdoor and the ball is not bouncing right at all.
2) Forehand range of motion is too big for close to table drill like that.
3) Heels up if possible, don't plant your feet onto the floor, keep it agile(small hops).
4) Swing by turning your waist and shoulder, not just your arm.
5) You are doing tennis swing(forehand), the curvature of the swing path should be opposite.
6) You should push/chop with backhand to be successful with LP.
7) Your forehand follow through looks funny and weird. I had the same problem before. To fix it, bend your knees, tuck in your tummy, swing forward (very important with waist and shoulder), not upward (tennis swing).
8) Its really good you doing the drill, a lot of people just don't do it or do enough of it. If possible, get a good coach to teach you the right form, then all your practice won't go in vain. Good work!

Edited by razortt - 06/25/2011 at 3:47am
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2011 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by razortt razortt wrote:

Originally posted by sahiggs100 sahiggs100 wrote:

Drill practice

My observations:
1) Switch to another table if you can. That table is junk, its made of aluminum veneer and its meant for outdoor and the ball is not bouncing right at all.
2) Forehand range of motion is too big for close to table drill like that.
3) Heels up if possible, don't plant your feet onto the floor, keep it agile(small hops).
4) Swing by turning your waist and shoulder, not just your arm.
5) You are doing tennis swing(forehand), the curvature of the swing path should be opposite.
6) You should push/chop with backhand to be successful with LP.
7) Your forehand follow through looks funny and weird. I had the same problem before. To fix it, bend your knees, tuck in your tummy, swing forward (very important with waist and shoulder), not upward (tennis swing).
8) Its really good you doing the drill, a lot of people just don't do it or do enough of it. If possible, get a good coach to teach you the right form, then all your practice won't go in vain. Good work!

Yes, i definitely agree about the table.  Unfortunately it is the only table I can play on during the day and have to travel at least an hour to get to a club with good tables and that is always in the evening and I work second shift full time so it makes it difficult to make it on a regular basis.  And with the LP's I do usually push and chop for the most part but was top spinning it to make it easier for my partner.  I'll try to work on the forehand suggestions tho.  Thank you.

Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2011 at 11:12pm
If you are just starting out, you should probably go inverted both sides. Then switch once you have achieved some level of proficiency.

Your footwork is relatively active, which is good, but you need to shorten the swings and swing forwards more. And on the followthrough for both FH and BH the blade angle is kinda strange, I suspect it would be unnatural.

For close to the table shots like those, its better to hit the ball earlier unless you are deliberately trying something different.
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic