FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Will Verses Technique: no compromise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cynicyclonian View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cynicyclonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will Verses Technique: no compromise
    Posted: 07/07/2011 at 12:03am
Technique Will

Learning from Reality l Playing
Detached l Personal
Analytical l Creative
Fight against Yourself l Fight against opponent
Pragmatic l Idealistic
Introvert l Extrovert

All these traits are generalities made to illustrate a point.  
The point remains, at the highest level, which survives?

Feel free to copy the above text and add/edit.
Prove your point.

Joola MC1
Tenergy 64
Sponsored Links

RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2011 at 3:59am
I don't understand why topics like these keep coming up.  "Does technique really matter?"  Of course it does!  "What about will?"  That obviously matters too.  What makes a person a great player is their ability to combine technique and will.  Do you think Rocky would have survived if he didn't train or didn't know how to box?  The guy had all the will in the world but he wouldn't have survived if he didn't know how to box.
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2011 at 5:46am
Im not sure exactly how you are proposing to have a meaningful discussion about will on the internet. Even technique is messy and its way more concrete than will.
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cynicyclonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2011 at 7:03pm
Attempt #2

There are 2 forms of players: 

1.  Who believe they can control the game by the "feel" and/or by judging/predicting the spin/pace/arc/momentum/etc.
2.  Second, who do not believe in themselves, but science.  And therefore, they try to win by innovation, secret techniques, superior understanding, etc.  They place values on Theory of Odds, physics, biology, Physiology, etc.

Do you understand what I mean?  Its a complete separate world.  

1.  Intuitive, ex. Liqin, Schlager, Weixing, (obsessive) 
2.  Researcher, ex. Waldner, Ma Lin, Wang Hao, (curious)

Respectively.

Am I making myself clear?

Edited by Cynicyclonian - 07/07/2011 at 7:04pm
Joola MC1
Tenergy 64
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2011 at 11:17pm
i'm not sure if it was the convex or concave loop that was the product of intuition or research.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2011 at 11:47pm
I think they can both exist at the highest level just as many different styles still exist. I tend to be more analytical however.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
THE GAMEr View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE GAMEr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2011 at 10:17am
I suppose will would be comparable to torque in an engine, and technique the horsepower (or possibly the other way around). You have to apply will with some technique. Balance, of course, would be excellent, but there is plenty room for one being much stronger than the other. which is better? I think at lower levels, technique would be a little more important, but at higher levels, they balance out more, maybe (debatable, anyway) even will becomes more important as technique is so refined. just some thoughts. feel free to ignore this as garbage.
If at first you don't succeed, you're not Chuck Norris.

729 Dynasty Hinoki
FH 729 Cream Transcend
BH 729 super FX
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2011 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Cynicyclonian Cynicyclonian wrote:

Attempt #2

There are 2 forms of players: 

1.  Who believe they can control the game by the "feel" and/or by judging/predicting the spin/pace/arc/momentum/etc.
2.  Second, who do not believe in themselves, but science.  And therefore, they try to win by innovation, secret techniques, superior understanding, etc.  They place values on Theory of Odds, physics, biology, Physiology, etc.

Do you understand what I mean?  Its a complete separate world.  

1.  Intuitive, ex. Liqin, Schlager, Weixing, (obsessive) 
2.  Researcher, ex. Waldner, Ma Lin, Wang Hao, (curious)

Respectively.

Am I making myself clear?

By your definition, you're saying Walder, Ma Lin, and Wang Hao don't believe in themselves and don't have the correct mentality, but rather they rely solely on their skill.  I don't know what to say about that...Those are some big names to generalize under that type of category.  Same goes for the others you listed in in rule #1.

What you're asking for is the extreme of either end and there's no such thing.  Neither is better and they must coexist in order to become a good player.  You can separate these guys into many different categories, but what you're separating is probably everything that they all have in common.

LOL...Waldner doesn't have the will to win??....c'mon now LOL

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2011 at 5:41pm
Sound a bit like a Sid thread to me.
The Older I get, The better I was.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2011 at 9:12pm
+1 to that apw46, definitely a sid thread. if it gets worse ill lock these kind of senseless threads
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cynicyclonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2011 at 3:50pm
Attempt #3

We are all born with innate knowledge on how to survive.  It is ingrained within our genes.  However, as we grow older, we started to question it.  

I define those 2 category of players based on 1, who are persistent and do not bow down to reality.  And 2, who do not know whether they should follow their impulses or not.  

To speak clearly, we are all born extremist, passionate towards life, some become conservative, whereas others may keep switching sides, but they remain ever-so-passionate.  

This distinction is made by choice, not how we are made.  Therefore, it is possible that people in one category may still show some signs of people in another.

My question: Which category do you belong to, why?  And for this reason, do you believe it is the best method of survival?

And please, whoever is Sid, this does not consult me, you all look like moderators, so I am sure you have a Moderation group where you can move this discussion.
Joola MC1
Tenergy 64
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2011 at 4:04pm
if we were all born with an innate knowledge of how to survive there would not be babies who reject their mothers breasts and milk to the point of starvation.

therefore your first precept is wrong and therefore all reasoning based on it is flawed.[URL= ][/URL][URL= ][/URL][URL= ][/URL][URL= ][/URL]
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cynicyclonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2011 at 12:29am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

if we were all born with an innate knowledge of how to survive there would not be babies who reject their mothers breasts and milk to the point of starvation.

therefore your first precept is wrong and therefore all reasoning based on it is flawed.

Of course, the baby is born with the innate will!  In this particular case, he doesn't know any better :(
Joola MC1
Tenergy 64
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2011 at 12:37am
There is no survival, everything passes away. Loss, sickness, death are all part of life, it doesn't matter your mindset, there's no escaping it.

If you actually mean table tennis, it's the person who manages to score the most points that wins, doesn't matter how or why, but the first step is realizing that one extreme or the other won't work.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2011 at 12:57am
Table tennis is for fun, not for survival. If you rely on TT to survive, you will be dead in no time.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2011 at 12:09pm
I use it to lose extra weight. Especially now, when the club serves a double purpose - TT and Finnish sauna.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cynicyclonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2011 at 8:10pm
At highest level, Table Tennis is not about fun, its about survival.
Joola MC1
Tenergy 64
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2011 at 8:33pm
It sounds like what you're wondering is, at the highest levels of the sport, which myer-briggs personality type is most prevalent?
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cynicyclonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2011 at 12:22am
Seems as if no one here plays Table Tennis to prove...
Joola MC1
Tenergy 64
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2011 at 1:46am
Seems like you're turning table tennis into something that is totally not meant to be......not fun...

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2011 at 3:28am

At highest level, Table Tennis is not about fun, its about survival.

If lucky, our 4 highest-level nationals get 200 or 300 euro per month. I don't think this sum fits even the definition of survival money.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cynicyclonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2011 at 2:49pm
Its survival of a higher plane on Maslow's Hierarchy: Self-esteem/Self-actualization.
Joola MC1
Tenergy 64
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2011 at 3:24pm
Even according to Maslow, the lower needs have to be satisfied in order for the higher to take place.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2011 at 3:50pm
remind me again why this is in coaching and tips and not in the off topic section?

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cynicyclonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 12:40am

remind me again why this is in coaching and tips and not in the off topic section?

idk.
Joola MC1
Tenergy 64
Nori View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 12:59am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

+1 to that apw46, definitely a sid thread. if it gets worse ill lock these kind of senseless threads

Wacko hint hint Wacko
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 1:13am

idk.

In the future, please limit metaphysiopsychological topics to the Off-Topic section.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cynicyclonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 1:42am
ok.
Joola MC1
Tenergy 64
zshark View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 10:54am
hmm,if you ask about will i can say i got it but the problem is  lacking technique that concern me now..practice and practice,huhu
Current Setup
Stradivarius FL
FH XiOM Vega PRO Max
BH XiOM Vega EUROPE Max
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 6:00pm
I call Sid thread too
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic