Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I finally like my backhand technique :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ttrastott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrastott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I finally like my backhand technique :)
    Posted: 07/28/2011 at 1:10pm
I wish i was more consistent It is so hard for me to play backhand like that with at least 10 shots in a row Almost impossible Does it come with time or? If i keep the ball slow i can manage 10 shots on but its very easy to attack if i play someone better.

Edited by ttrastott - 07/28/2011 at 4:48pm
Donic Waldner Senso Carbon
FH Tibhar Genius Sound MAX
BH Tibhar Genius Sound MAX
Sponsored Links

ttplayer05 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 1:16pm
I think because you are going backwards, your body weight is leaning backwards also. You need to stay forward and have an even centre of gravity.
ttrastott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrastott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by ttplayer05 ttplayer05 wrote:

I think because you are going backwards, your body weight is leaning backwards also. You need to stay forward and have an even centre of gravity.
yeah Thats my stupid habit Thats the way i play and i want to change it I was wondering if somebody says something about that :D I keep going back right after opening up Its probably in my head I think that my brain is trying to get some more time by going back so i can wait for the ball and have enough time to get ready for a stroke but thats no good I would like to play at the table and go back only when necessary for counter topspin but i simply dont know how to play close to the table I find it hard speaking of timing Thats why i keep going back hmmm 
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 1:27pm

But he stays down through most of the shot until he makes contact with the ball, but I do believe he doesn't have to be so so pronounced with it. Seems like it would be strenuous on the back no?

You can see here Timo stays down the entire time, but there is some natural lift to his back. 
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
ttrastott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrastott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

But he stays down through most of the shot until he makes contact with the ball, but I do believe he doesn't have to be so so pronounced with it. Seems like it would be strenuous on the back no?

You can see here Timo stays down the entire time, but there is some natural lift to his back. 
Jeez he does it with such ease So consistent and relaxed Well here is another video and i dont lift my back that much i think but i wasnt trying to give it as much spin as in the first video This is just practice and the first video was a match 

Edited by ttrastott - 07/28/2011 at 1:44pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 1:51pm

Yes it is natural to lift a little when playing this stroke, however you will notice that he is never leaning back and his weight is always leaning forward. 

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 1:53pm
ttrastot, yes in the second video your technique looks a bit better and you aren't rising as much as the first video, you still keep moving back after each shot tho Wink

how about you put a chair behind you so you physically can't move back otherwise you will fall into it!! 
ttrastott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrastott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 1:58pm

ttrastot, yes in the second video your technique looks a bit better and you aren't rising as much as the first video, you still keep moving back after each shot tho Wink

how about you put a chair behind you so you physically can't move back otherwise you will fall into it!! 
why the heck am i going back all the time Can someone explain it to me? 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 2:03pm
because you're automatically leaning back so all your weight is shifted backwards which makes you go backwards!
ttrastott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrastott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 2:45pm

because you're automatically leaning back so all your weight is shifted backwards which makes you go backwards!
right That makes sense :D I would never say that its the leaning that makes me go back I thought its in my head Next time ill concentrate on that and ill put up a video of me not going back hehe
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 3:17pm
yes will its partly you leaning back, and also because you're so used to moving backwards. A bit of both really. but yes have a go staying relatively close to the table. It will be hard at first, but you will get used to it! 
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 3:40pm
wow ttrastott
those were some incredible looking backhands! Much better looking than the first set you had. I can't really say there is anything in your technique that I can critique.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by ttrastott ttrastott wrote:

People keep talking about your leaning, but I disagree. Your leaning is NOT the problem.

You are quite a tall guy, so the problem is not visible by some. Your backhand stroke is just VERY VERY large. If you note your starting position and your ending position, you are swinging a lot. This makes you slow on recovery. To keep putting the same ball back on the table, because you naturally start lacking time - you're forced to back off.

You keep backing off, until you loose total control of the ball - you've backed off too far and if the return came back with slightly less spin or less force, it will come short and next shot you will miss! The reason - because you're too far, you'll take the ball too low.

I know it may be difficult, but I think you need to work more on your legs and get down further, so that your hand stays in front of your body and ABOVE the elbow and your stroke is short and compact. Once you do that, your loop on the backhand side will be better. Don't drop your arm low, you're only loosing time, you can loop the ball without going low.

Another thing I would like to note is that the farther you are, the more time your opponent has to see where your ball is going and how to block it or counter it. So the earlier you fix it, the sooner your game will become stronger.
Back to table tennis...
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 4:11pm
That Timo Boll video was from the Speedglue days? I think these days his stroke maybe a bit longer.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
ttrastott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrastott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 4:23pm

wow ttrastott
those were some incredible looking backhands! Much better looking than the first set you had. I can't really say there is anything in your technique that I can critique.
hehe thanks but im sure there is I just feel it when im playing I dont feel confident What i know that im not good at is consistency If i was at least good at that Would be much easier to concentrate on my technique
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 4:36pm
Check out training videos of Persson and Samsonov to see how tall guys hit their backhands.
ttrastott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrastott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Check out training videos of Persson and Samsonov to see how tall guys hit their backhands.
i have actually seen so many videos I even do the mirror thing somethimes hehe My girlfriend is looking at me like - (wtf, get some life will ya? haha ) Some people say one thing and some people something else Will put your thoughts together and do something about that This is amazing to me Watch it from 1:34 I want to play them with such confidence 

Edited by ttrastott - 07/28/2011 at 4:47pm
ttrastott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrastott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 4:49pm
thank you all for your comments so far
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 5:04pm
Try to move your elbow more in front of the body, then you will raise your power. Good luck!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 7:57pm
a simple habit that will help you when doing bh loops--> it is good that you bend you're knees when at the beginning of the stroke , but after the impact of the ball on the racket until follow throw you should not remain in a flexed knees position rather extend them a lil bit. it also helps in giving you extra power on your shots
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 8:50pm
i have actually seen so many videos I even do the mirror thing somethimes hehe My girlfriend is looking at me like - (wtf, get some life will ya? haha 

i do this and my wife actually does the same thing as your GF hehe, anyway nice BH loops specially the second video
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 2:13am
Nice BHs!

Nothing wrong with backing off a tiny bit if you are tall, but I think you should not just give up the table for free. My coach used to put a rubbish bin behind me LOL. Now I am too aggro and usually stand too close.

I think trying to perfect a very consistent long range rally backhand is a bit difficult. Better to practice standing closer to the table, BHs are much easier close in I think.

There isnt much point increasing the consistency of your long range backhand by lowering the speed, because people standing at the table just wont be troubled. If you are in that situation I think it is better to just all-in and go for the very powerful sidespinny ones (I think sidespin makes it way more scary). Better to have 20% chance of landing and winning in that situation than sit around and have 90% chance to lose eventually.

Edited by Vassily - 07/29/2011 at 2:13am
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 5:50am
take slower bat...
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
ttrastott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrastott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 6:23am
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

take slower bat...
I already did I play slower blade Same rubbers but slower blade
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 6:52am

take slower bat...

Yes I agree. Looks like a very low throw set up on your backhand.
ttrastott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrastott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 7:50am
Originally posted by loop+loop loop+loop wrote:

take slower bat...

Yes I agree. Looks like a very low throw set up on your backhand.
No i wouldnt say so Its just beautiful Im happy with the bat I dont wanna be changing equipment anymore The senso blade is amazing and soft spinny rubbers I just need to get the technique right Im reading all these comments and trying to learn from it
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2012 at 9:43am

I think you subconsciously realize that you will not recover in time for the next shot, because your swing is so wide. so you go back in order to be able to play the next shot.

If you want to play close to table I think you have to drastically reduce your bh swing. (To know what I mean watch the first point in the second video linked in my signature. ). also consider switching to a faster blade - rubber. (I am told waldner senso carbon is slow)
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2012 at 3:37pm

If i keep the ball slow i can manage 10 shots on but its very easy to attack if i play someone better.
Don't hit the balls to the same place, speed and spin each time and keep the ball low.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic