Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Why the Service Foot Stomp?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sofaires View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofaires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 9:26pm
hmm good to know! i also heard that if the server stomp its too loud the reciever can complain, is that true?
Sponsored Links

loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 9:46pm
It's bit of physics here but I may be wrong. Stomping stops the arm from swinging further and accelerates the blade swing thereby creating a higher blade speed for the serve.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 11:05pm
For some people the "stomp" of the left foot (for a right-handed player) is not intentional or designed to hide sound, it is a natural motion to maintain balance and get into position to attack after a serve. Otherwise the movement of the arm holding the blade can throw you a bit off balance. 

Edited by Baal - 01/30/2012 at 11:06pm
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 11:43pm
I don't see the need for the foot stomp.
It is inefficient.

Amelie Solja stomps on just about every BH push.  In her case I think it is a rhythm and consistency thing. Sometimes she sounds like a machine.

GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 6:04am
Its clear stomping is not nessasary, otherwise a long topspin rally would leave you with hearing loss! The real question is what rules does this fall under? Are there limits? I know the service rules cause most people use illegal serves often, but don't remember anything in the service rules outside of handling the ball.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 8:16am
Originally posted by loop+loop loop+loop wrote:

It's bit of physics here but I may be wrong. Stomping stops the arm from swinging further and accelerates the blade swing thereby creating a higher blade speed for the serve.

Fh drive
when the foot contacts the floor, then the racket can no longer follow the ball unless the torso is rotated by hip/waist turn. As the stroke decelerates the non playing shoulder will dip to the side, and then recovery should begin.
If you run through this sequence you start to see why the main impetus of the stroke should be from the coiled spring of the back leg. Players that try to generate power by twisting the torso alone are on the wrong track: The fundamental reason the torso twists is that the front foot has applied the brake to the forward motion!

In the serve
again the foot stomp should really originate from the back foot power source, rather than stamping DOWN on the floor, otherwise its a less natural part of the stroke.

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 01/31/2012 at 8:20am
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 11:02am
Another thing to consider . . . stomping puts additional pressure on the joints, especially the ankle and knee. These areas are already under great stress from playing our sport. Regardless of the argument in favor . . . it's just silly to stomp unless you are already in the habit and have the inability or unwillingness to change your evil ways. :-). Tzai has outspokenly spoken. No offense intended . . . just pure humor and a pinch of realism! Weeooo!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 11:08am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

AN ESSENTIAL NOTE:
The serving player may stomp as much as he is pleased, and the receiver may NOT.
In the present video, the "stomper" was penalized upon the request expressed by the serving player.
Hhaaaa.. HYC is a funny man...LOLBig smileLOLWinkTongue

Schlager is another one...
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 11:37am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

AN ESSENTIAL NOTE:
The serving player may stomp as much as he is pleased, and the receiver may NOT.
In the present video, the "stomper" was penalized upon the request expressed by the serving player.

It seems the receiver merely "bounced" right before the service return -- most pros do that. Yet it made a pretty loud sound. I guess there was a microphone near the table?
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 12:47pm
What about shoe squeaking from the receiver? Many players actually take a step or two before the server strikes the ball; some even do a split step.
RankAmateur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RankAmateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

What about shoe squeaking from the receiver? Many players actually take a step or two before the server strikes the ball; some even do a split step.

Probably can be annoying for the server, sometimes used to distract I'm certain, but it seems a more legitimate thing than the booming service foot stomp.  It's like the waggle in golf the that precedes the swing or the ball bouncing in table tennis or tennis before the serve, something to act as a transition into the athletic motion, to get your muscles jump-started and get a flow of blood working into them.
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 1:26pm
Stomping by a server is used as a distraction - therefore I see stomping as a receiver to be fair play as well.

Edited by roar - 01/31/2012 at 1:26pm
http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by roar roar wrote:

Stomping by a server is used as a distraction - therefore I see stomping as a receiver to be fair play as well.

When the server stomps, the receiver is not making a stroke. That's why it's legal. The receiver cannot stomp when the server is making a stroke to serve.
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

When the server stomps, the receiver is not making a stroke. That's why it's legal. The receiver cannot stomp when the server is making a stroke to serve.

Care to point out where in the rules this is at?

When the receiver stomps, he's preparing himself to receive a serve - that's why it's legal for him too.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 5:08pm

When the receiver stomps, he's preparing himself to receive a serve - that's why it's legal for him too.

I'm sure there's a rule that says you can't distract people when they're making a stroke. That's why the server can stomp, because he's the one who's making a stroke, not the receiver.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 5:10pm
Why bother distracting with noises . . . distract them with your amazing skill.
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 5:42pm

I'm sure there's a rule that says you can't distract people when they're making a stroke. That's why the server can stomp, because he's the one who's making a stroke, not the receiver.

I suspect if there is any rule on such matters, it would apply to any method of distracting the opponent - and I do not see such a rule.

The other possibility might be a rule indicating that a stomp may be allowed if a person is physically stressed in making a shot.  Since a serve is an entirely controlled shot, a stomp would not be necessary and thus disallowed if they are only allowed during certain times.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 6:18pm
Don't do it. Stomping and Yelling is just poor sportsmanship and not needed. Be classic and win with your skills, not your scams. 

Edited by tommyzai - 01/31/2012 at 9:25pm
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 9:09pm
Kick ass, right, not kiss ass.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic