FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tactics against fishers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Video

Finally, a working link!

This is a classic case of not keeping eyes on the ball.
One of my sparring partners does that to me all the time.  These use to drive me nuts and I still get caught every once in a while but now it is a losing shot.  Notice that the lobber hit the ball very low. I bet the looper couldn't even see the ball contact the lobber's paddle.  The lobber also did a good job of getting back into position.  In this case it wouldn't be worth taking a risk to hit the ball off the bounce just to shorten the reaction time.

What would be interesting is to see if this trick worked twice in the same match.  The looper looks like he is good enough to react.  The looper just got too cocky and got burned.

I am sending this link to my fishing/lobbing sparring partner.
That's not an uncommon shot for lobbers.  In the video the looper's real problem was being too close to the table.  He should have been a little further back which would have given him room to adjust for the correct side spin.  In general, it's OK to stay a little bit further back on lobs until the moment of contact because you have so much time to move up.  Of course, if you've got bad footwork then you may often get caught too close to the table but I don't believe that's the case in this video.
Sponsored Links

power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 3:35pm

Video

Finally, a working link!

I have no idea how I did it, but it seems to be working
The kid's basics are not there yet.  He opens with a loop properly.  But on the 3rd attack he's over the table when there is a heavy spin on the return ball.  The safer shot is off the bounce block if you're that close to table, also will draw the opponent in from 8ft if he's quick enough.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 8:22pm

Haha Speedplay, you found that vid with Bogeyhunter training with CWX from a camp several years back.

Haha. You know who that is behind Bogeyhunter on the left edge of the camera trying to get on the table?
Haha, that's Varg.

Speedplay, you dug up a classic.

Now if you can find the vid of the wresling match that ensued...
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Video

Finally, a working link!

One of my sparring partners does that to me all the time.  These use to drive me nuts and I still get caught every once in a while but now it is a losing shot.  Notice that the lobber hit the ball very low. I bet the looper couldn't even see the ball contact the lobber's paddle.  The lobber also did a good job of getting back into position.  In this case it wouldn't be worth taking a risk to hit the ball off the bounce just to shorten the reaction time.

What would be interesting is to see if this trick worked twice in the same match.  The looper looks like he is good enough to react.  The looper just got too cocky and got burned.

That's not an uncommon shot for lobbers.  In the video the looper's real problem was being too close to the table.  He should have been a little further back which would have given him room to adjust for the correct side spin.  In general, it's OK to stay a little bit further back on lobs until the moment of contact because you have so much time to move up.  Of course, if you've got bad footwork then you may often get caught too close to the table but I don't believe that's the case in this video.

No, pnatchwey is right, the problem is that the kid obviously relaxed and was too unfocused to adjust for the sidespin.  That's a very smashable ball, and the correct move is to stand right around the distance the kid was at, and smash the ball.  If you stand further back you'll have to loop, and since most people aren't used to looping slow, relatively dead balls from mid distance, and a loop would be easier to return than a smash, it's a very bad option unless you simply don't know how to smash.  In that case, you'll need to work on your smashing techniques and not tactics.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 11:42pm
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned flat hitting yet... fishers use your heavy loops to help keep the ball on a mid trajectory which keeps their returns safe and consistant. A flat slam can make it hard for them to adjust and the return is usually too low to make it over the next... try it! The key is as flat a hit as possible.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

No, pnatchwey is right, the problem is that the kid obviously relaxed and was too unfocused to adjust for the sidespin.  That's a very smashable ball, and the correct move is to stand right around the distance the kid was at, and smash the ball.  If you stand further back you'll have to loop, and since most people aren't used to looping slow, relatively dead balls from mid distance, and a loop would be easier to return than a smash, it's a very bad option unless you simply don't know how to smash.  In that case, you'll need to work on your smashing techniques and not tactics.
We'll have to disagree on this one.  I just rewatched the video and there's no way I would say he's in the right location for smashing that ball.  I'm not suggesting he loop but you need to give yourself room to make the swing and with good footwork you can make the last minute adjustment just as or before you swing.  Especially if you're uncertain of the spin (perhaps he couldn't see the stroke below the table) then you need to be in a position to make adjustments.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 11:51pm
double post

Edited by dingyibvs - 02/05/2012 at 11:56pm
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 12:16am
Is there a way to tell the spin of these under table flicks?  There is a guy at my club who can do this to most of my short balls.  Unless I can see the logo on the ball, I cannot tell which way it will jump.  In that case, I would guess the opposite direction as the way he makes it look.  But he has done this for years and quickly figure out I cannot read the spin.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 12:24am
I don't think so, just don't commit early and make your decision when you see the direction of the jump. 
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 12:30am
Actually, this goes back to what I was saying.  If you have a good read on the spin then you can commit early.  If you don't have a good read then you need to give yourself space and be light on your feet.  It's not like a tricky sidespin loop where the ball is coming at you low and fast.  Lobs of all spin types still bounce up a long way (assuming they started from a high lob) so that gives you more time to adjust your position.  You won't necessarily get your best smash on these types of balls but it's a whole lot better than guessing and missing half the time.
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 12:43am
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

Is there a way to tell the spin of these under table flicks?
It is hard if you can't see their wrist or hand motion.  It is especially hard when playing against pen holders.  I usually go by what the opponent has done before if I can't see the motion of their arm.  I have seen pen holder spin the ball both ways.  Yes, the spin is a problem after a while you get use to it and your percentages go up.   Since I have been playing a person that does this twice a week for the last two years I have learned over time.

In that case, I would guess the opposite direction as the way he makes it look.  But he has done this for years and quickly figure out I cannot read the spin.
Then watch the bounce. The good part is that you do have time to wait and see which way the ball will bounce.  The problem is that by waiting you don't alway get a chance to hit the ball at the top.

Yes,  I flat hit.  There is no point in trying to loop a ball when I have a line of sight to the opponents side of the table.  I almost always do some sort of flat hit but lately I have been trying to put side spin on the balls.
Mudkipz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudkipz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 1:16am
When i play against fishers i generally try to break the corners when i hit the ball. Sometimes varying the depth in which you hit the ball forces the fisher to get out of their comfort zone
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 5:43am

Video

Finally, a working link!

Its got nothing to do with 'not keeping eyes on the ball' its a dummy stroke, I use it to good effect all the time, though it tends to be less effective at advanced levels.
It works because when executing a smash/power drive, the weight is transferred across the body, and once a player has committed to the stroke its hard to make an adjustment. This little trick works because the player is watching the ball, and as he does so he also sees his opponent finish his stroke in the opposite direction to which he struck the ball, just after the strike he changes direction, the attacker sees this in his peripheral vision and his brain takes over and reacts to the dummy body language. I practised this a lot years ago and can do it either way and with b/hand or f/hand, it does require practice though, you are essentially backing two strokes at the ball. BTW I have trained with the guy doing the lobbing many times, and the blonde guy is a French top 20 junior.
The Older I get, The better I was.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 7:47am
I average about 4 matches a month against a higher rated fisher/lobber (same guy as some of my previous videos). Currently, we split matches...

Tactically, preventing him from playing his strong game provides me with the most wins.

If I push short then long I can create situations where he has to play inside the table then gets jammed and produces weaker loops or makes unforced errors.

When he does lob, I try *not* to smash, only because he can return smash after smash and has good side to side footwork. Also, he does that Wiggle to disguise sidespin, so I am much safer letting the ball drop and then looping, vs. mistiming my smash.

What I notice is that if I can get him inside the table, I can attack his elbow with confidence, and not worry about having to recover in time for a return. My tactics rely on me being able to play a more passive game (using push and block short) than a defender.

It's a lot easier for him to move side to side than it is to move backwards.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 9:34am
block off the bounce towards the center so the spin isn't that effective.  Hopefully the spin isn't that great to take it off the table.   If you let it bouce too high, your only option is to let it fall to let some of the spin decrease and loop it back the opposite direction it bounced.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 11:03am

Then watch the bounce. The good part is that you do have time to wait and see which way the ball will bounce.  The problem is that by waiting you don't alway get a chance to hit the ball at the top.
Yes,  I flat hit.  There is no point in trying to loop a ball when I have a line of sight to the opponents side of the table.  I almost always do some sort of flat hit but lately I have been trying to put side spin on the balls.

Forget about letting it bounce (well, you must let it bounce, or else it's a volley) to avoid getting tricked by this, focus on taking the ball as quick as possible. Step in and hit straight of the bounce, before the spin have made the ball go far to either side. By waiting for the spinb to kick in, you are giving the lobber a lot of extra time and a chance to get back in to the rally.
The holy grail
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 12:12pm
I want to add that the key is footwork.  You have to get into position and be ready to make small adjustment steps.  Be in position to smash so the opponent has to respect the smash.  But by being in good position early you have all the options.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 1:44pm

Step in and hit straight of the bounce, before the spin have made the ball go far to either side.
I do this from time to time but only when the risk to reward ratio is low.   In the video the lobber gets back into position very quickly so the benefit of hitting the ball right off the bounce is low but the risk is high because there isn't much time to read the spin when the you hit the ball right off the bounce.
If the lobber did not get back into position then it may be worth the risk.  Usually when I hit the ball off the bounce I try to hit a 3/4 speed shot at a location where the lobber can't get to the ball.

I prefer my flat hits with some side spin.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic