Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You fight your way back in the fourth game...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You fight your way back in the fourth game...
    Posted: 02/04/2012 at 7:26pm
Man I would love to hear some insights from forumers on mental and game tactics in this situation.

I'm good in deuce situations, and generally keep my nerves even if I'm down 1-2, and down in the fourth game.  Today I fought my way back against some tough players.

But when I hit that 5th game, I play *WORSE*.  I think I don't prepare myself mentally for that fifth game; after a tough fight in the fourth its especially daunting - I don't "give up" but the weight messes with my head.

I sense also that the really good players, the veterans, play *better* in the fifth game.  I will settle for just playing as I did in the first four.

What I'd like to hear is, how do you "reset" mentally after that fourth game.  Or maybe you were up 2-1 and you *lost* the fourth game, whats your mental process in game five?

I hope just being aware of it will help me - I didn't pick up on this until after todays matches.

thanks in advance.

Edited by chronos - 02/04/2012 at 7:27pm
Sponsored Links

metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 8:17pm

Is it you or your opponent?  I have had this problem with myself and the solution was to play the 5th, just like any other game, but use the information that was gained from the first 4, what serves he likes, what he doesn't like etc.  If you don't adjust he has an advantage and I also have started to keep back a few tricky serves that I don't use until the last game and change your placement ie instead of going cross court, go down the line.

Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 10:47pm
Great response and question - yeah there are definitely tactics that I use in the 5th game;  I have some serves that I save till then, I change the placement / long + short mix, and in general I try to use whatever happened in game four to punish whatever is weakest.  I'd love to hear more tactics to use in fifth game, but I'm curious what people do to reset mentally in the fifth game.  honestly the answer might just be "well, don't think about game four, focus on the first three points" something along those lines, I wasn't aware of this problem until today, but if there are more specific things that people do I'd love to hear it.
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 10:48pm
I think its not per game that you should reset, but reset every point.
When it comes to the 5th game and I'm down, I usually tell myself that it's only a game,
and if I play aggressive keeping in mind sound fundamentals, may the best player win.
I try to keep body relaxed, and shots firm and solid - - easier said that done for sure.
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 1:08am
To me, it seems to only be mental. I guess it also depends on your style. Do you want to introduce a drastic change into the 5th game or do you want to continue playing the same way the whole match played out, with the correction of avoiding areas where you loose most points.

What I have noticed is that coming back from the 4th game and "staying alive" often feels like the mission is complete, while yet there is still a game to play. If not too much emphasis is put early in the game to continue scoring your shots, the initiative just fades away. Once it fades, it is a lot harder to jump start it again.
Back to table tennis...
ZJKandMLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZJKandMLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 1:21am
for me, i just tell myself that if i fought so hard to catch up the whole match (down 1-2), the pressure is on him to now perform and not for me to perform in the 5th set.

i know hes gonna come out firing but im gonna recap on what i did in the 4th set that gaev me the win, and just stick with that strategy.

Blade: Photino
FH: Donic Acuda S1, MAX
BH: Tenergy 64, MAX
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 7:14am

I don't even worry about the stuff. If I make it to 2-2, then I fight on using what I do best. If the opponent cannot handle it, then I win. I f he handles it, I have to keep up the fight and find a way to win points. Playing conservative is a way to lose points needlessly. I have to believe in my shots and be patient for the chance to be decisive. It is a bonus if I can hit a few down the line for winners or serve 3rd ball attack win some points. Succeeding on 3rd ball and attacking the serve is a tonic. Whatever, it is good to keep fighting, keep competing, and land shots you should land without rushing it, yet being strong on the shot.

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 9:40am
To reset mentaly probably means that you will have to look differently at the fourth game. I think it's the same as coming back from 7-10 to 10 all and then lose 10-12. We tend to set our goal to catch up, either to 2-2 in set, or to 10-10 in points, when our goal should be to win, not to catch up.

So if you are 1-2 down, you set your goal to reach 2-2, so when you step in to play the deciding game, you have already reached your goal, which might make you lose some tension and play a little to relaxed, as your goal have already been reached. I know I used to have this problem when coming back to 10-10 from behind, and it sounds as if you have the same problem.

So, don't focus on catching up, focus on winning all the way. Don't aim for 2-2, aim for 3-2.
The holy grail
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 1:22pm
Awesome stuff!!! Leshxa and Speedplay, you guys nailed my exact problem: I set a goal of "even it up at 2-2" then have no goal in the last game, my mental focus dissipates.  I'll try keeping my focus on WINNING, and try to focus on point to point - "win this point" will be the only goal beyond the overall goal of winning the match.  Is that what you guys do? 

sunilid, how do you reset between points?

Thanks so much for the replies guys.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

Awesome stuff!!! Leshxa and Speedplay, you guys nailed my exact problem: I set a goal of "even it up at 2-2" then have no goal in the last game, my mental focus dissipates.  I'll try keeping my focus on WINNING, and try to focus on point to point - "win this point" will be the only goal beyond the overall goal of winning the match.  Is that what you guys do?  sunilid, how do you reset between points?Thanks so much for the replies guys.

For me, when I trail 1-2, I always think that there are 2 more sets to be played. I never think about catching up, I always look at how many more sets I need to win to win the match.

It's the same with points, if I'm down 7-10, I don't think "I need 3 points", I always think that I need to win the next 5 points.

This way, I never relax and feel pleased until I have won the match/set. Before, when I thought that I needed 3 points to catch up, once I had 10-10, I was all to happy to have achieved my goal and lost 10-12 in most cases, simply because I had reached the goals I set out to reach.

Fatt, giving up a lead is different, but I try to think pretty much the same way. If I', up 10-7, I try not to think that I have 3 chances to win the set, I think I need one more point. If I lose the first and go to 10-8, my goal stays the same, I still need one more point to win. This gives a nice feeling that despite losing the last point, nothing have changed. When/if they reach 10-10, things changes as I need to win 2 points instead of just one, so I set my focus to win the next 2 points, not just the next point to take the lead.

I guess that regardless of if I'm leading or trailing, I always thik about how many points I need to win to win the match/set.

I NEVER think "I mustn't lose a point here" or something like that, I always try to think positive and about points I must win rather then points I mustn't lose.

I learned to think this way from a golf pro who talked about the power of the mind and that we can do a lot of stuff if we only believe it and think positive thoughts, but as soon as you think "I mustn't miss", then you are pretty much doomed to miss. According to him, the brain don't understand negatives(?) so when you think "I mustn't miss", the brain only understand I must miss. Not sure if this is true or not, but I try to think like this and it's working for me, think what I must do rather then what I mustn't do.
The holy grail
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 2:32pm

sunilid, how do you reset between points?

Usually it's pretty simple stuff -- when you're going to pick up a ball on your side between points
before serving (or before getting ready to receive a serve), do a real quick mental analysis of
what might have just happened to cause a lost a point for instance, and then brush off
the lost point and start fresh...don't lament over the last point if you lost it.
The idea is to not get complacent if you are winning, and do *something* that's different
if you're losing.  Don't fall into a pattern...and start believing that it's not the game that counts,
but each point that does.  Tell yourself between points that you will try and control the next point.
I usually tell myself that if I just lost a point, it's basically that I just didn't try hard-enough to win it,  and the next point *will* be different.   Each point *is* different, so why not start it fresh each time. 
Of-course all this only works if the player is truly not several-orders of magnitude better than you, else all bets are off...regardless, I think it's still a good practice against all players.

Edited by sunilid - 02/05/2012 at 2:59pm
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Awesome stuff!!! Leshxa and Speedplay, you guys nailed my exact problem: I set a goal of "even it up at 2-2" then have no goal in the last game, my mental focus dissipates.  I'll try keeping my focus on WINNING, and try to focus on point to point - "win this point" will be the only goal beyond the overall goal of winning the match.  Is that what you guys do?  sunilid, how do you reset between points?Thanks so much for the replies guys.

For me, when I trail 1-2, I always think that there are 2 more sets to be played. I never think about catching up, I always look at how many more sets I need to win to win the match.

It's the same with points, if I'm down 7-10, I don't think "I need 3 points", I always think that I need to win the next 5 points.

This way, I never relax and feel pleased until I have won the match/set. Before, when I thought that I needed 3 points to catch up, once I had 10-10, I was all to happy to have achieved my goal and lost 10-12 in most cases, simply because I had reached the goals I set out to reach.

Fatt, giving up a lead is different, but I try to think pretty much the same way. If I', up 10-7, I try not to think that I have 3 chances to win the set, I think I need one more point. If I lose the first and go to 10-8, my goal stays the same, I still need one more point to win. This gives a nice feeling that despite losing the last point, nothing have changed. When/if they reach 10-10, things changes as I need to win 2 points instead of just one, so I set my focus to win the next 2 points, not just the next point to take the lead.

I guess that regardless of if I'm leading or trailing, I always thik about how many points I need to win to win the match/set.

I NEVER think "I mustn't lose a point here" or something like that, I always try to think positive and about points I must win rather then points I mustn't lose.

I learned to think this way from a golf pro who talked about the power of the mind and that we can do a lot of stuff if we only believe it and think positive thoughts, but as soon as you think "I mustn't miss", then you are pretty much doomed to miss. According to him, the brain don't understand negatives(?) so when you think "I mustn't miss", the brain only understand I must miss. Not sure if this is true or not, but I try to think like this and it's working for me, think what I must do rather then what I mustn't do.

YES!  THIS IS IT.  I needed this Speedplay, this makes perfect sense to me, this is the thought process I need to implement.  You just made my day.

I need to get this engraved on a massive stone tablet to bring with me to matches.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 10:47am
Glad if I can help in any way Chronos.

I try my best to always stay positive and think the way I described, but at first, it was really hard, as negative thoughts showed up all the time. Especially the thought "I mustn't miss this" on important points.
The holy grail
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 4:47pm
I have a tourney this weekend and I definitely needed this.  I do fall into the trap of "just get it back to even" and that definitely dooms your ability to get ahead of "even".  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 5:09pm
I almost made good use of this my self tonight. I was down 0-2 and 5-10, but fought my way back and won the third 12-10. Managed to win the fourth set as well, before trailing 4-10 in the deciding set. Got it back to 9-10 but then I ran out of luck and lost it 9-11, but I remained positive through out the entire match and kept believing in myself and counted points I needed to win instead of points I couldn't afford to lose.
The holy grail
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Clap Thanks for the insight Speedplay, it is most helpful...
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic