Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Advice please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pingpongpaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice please
    Posted: 02/19/2012 at 5:52am
Please can you give me some advice on how I can improve my table tennis:)
Here is some footage my local league matches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQvpuS0yBdw&feature=g-upl&context=G2b4c806AUAAAAAAAAAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9EPpvaVGD0&feature=context&context=G2b4c806AUAAAAAAAAAA

I am currently using Stiga Tube Carbo with Boost tp on fh and tc on bh.
Blade: Stiga OFF NCT (Penhold)

Forehand: DHS Hurricane 3 NEO 2.15
Backhand Coppa X1 turbo hard

GLUE: COPYDEX YEY SOO CHEAP DIY TT ftw the win:)
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2012 at 5:58am
Originally posted by pingpongpaul pingpongpaul wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQvpuS0yBdw

Nice, two penholders! Clap
L2Pivot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L2Pivot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 7:18am
My advice? Don't put music in TT videos LOL

I'd start off with stability: keeping your your head still and your feet firmly planted when you're executing a shot. You lean backwards when you do your backhand. I understand that this seems to provide more force, but it seriously destabalises your stance as well as your stroke. With your backhand, keep your elbow out and steady and use the forward motion of your wrist to provide the majority of the forward force and the abduction of the wrist for spin. Or you could adhere to the popular adage, 'it's like throwing a frisbee'.

But to be honest the greatest benefit to you would be to do some footwork and stroke drills to ingrain some confidence and more consistent technique into you.

-YEO FL-
(DHS H3 Neo Provincial 40°)
(Butterfly Tenergy 64)

★★★★★
中国,加油!
ri0t1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ri0t1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 10:20am
I think L2Pivot covered everything I noticed.  You do lean back when you're taking your back hand shots.  I fall into this a lot some of the time due to poor footwork on my part.. I've been working with my bot that I own in my basement just working on my foot work. 

Just be careful if you do start using the bot for something like this because a bot can teach you some bad habits so look out for those :)
Xiom Europe Vegas|FH Tenergy 05|BH:Tenergy 05FX|
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 11:19am
Also your serves are varied but long all the time.  You should mix it up with some half longs.
pingpongpaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 11:56am
Cheers guys will try and apply your tips to my game.
Blade: Stiga OFF NCT (Penhold)

Forehand: DHS Hurricane 3 NEO 2.15
Backhand Coppa X1 turbo hard

GLUE: COPYDEX YEY SOO CHEAP DIY TT ftw the win:)
tonycl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonycl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 9:05pm
FH:
Your elbow is lifting to high when you loop, in fact your elbow shouldnt be more than 10cm from you contact point with the ball, at the moment you are finnishing at head level.
I think you are starting your loop too low and causing your whole balance to go from bottom up than oppose to right to left.
When completing your FH loop, try getting your first finger in line with your arm (so basically your risk is straight), at the moment you are almost at a 90 deg bent to the right. That extra risk moment can help your control and add more spin.
Try a smaller action, and not follow through the blade to over your head hight, and brush forward over the ball
Rely on your waist moment, brushing forward into the ball, and smaller - more accurate action. And practise the same stroke (so it looks the same every time)

BH:

Again your elbow is moving too much
Brush forward into the ball than oppose to pushing the ball out at an angled bat.
Try finishing the stroke at shoulder height

Footwork:
You are standing too up right. Lower your self to apply more weight and power in your movements. Your footwork is considered more important than your upper body, right now you are relying too much on the upper body
Learn to move on your toes, almost like skipping.
FH shot, body weight is from right to left and goes back to right for next shot
BH rpb shot, you would need to follow the ball, at times either your left or right foot. Rather step foward towards the ball and not let your arm stretch to far forward. So this means you need to be moving a lot (similar to how China women players do they BH to BH rallies).
Once your return to position improves, then you can also start playing FH shots on your BH side then oppose to BH to BH rallies, but as a penholder, you will need to make sure you are solid to get the ball back from middle of the table to your far back hand side with your BH.

Serve:
Your serve is too long, and the ones come offer the BH side of the table can easily be looped back to you with a better skilled opponent.
Try play some short games,
If you serve long often, the return might catch you on your far FH, giving you a disadvantage
Practise landing the ball in both BH and FH side of the table. Deep and Short. Spin and no spin serves.

Remember for both BH and FH, the bigger the stroke, the longer to get back into position. If you add body movement in, you should be able to do a smaller stroke and get the same or more spin, power into your entire shot and make it back into position a lot easier.

Try watch some videos on Footworks, and how the Chinese team train during multiballs (you tube them). Watch their actions, and compare it to yours

My 2 cents input, hope it helps, good luck

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic