Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking risky shots in a game?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 11:05am
At the beginning of a point (serve or return) in a close game your chances are roughly even, so i would say that there's no reason to stray from your usual risk-taking approach - don't try to adjust in either side. As the point develops you should probably revisit the situation: if you managed to take an initiative and start attacking (so you chances have risen to  - say - 70%) my main concern would be not to give my opponent a gift and I would lean a bit on a "safe shot" side (this is still an offensive shot in this situation);on the other hand, if I find myself on the receiving end in this situation (an opponent is attacking and my chances dropped to 30%) then (assuming that your opponent plays calmly and you cannot reasonably expect that he will blow his chances) risky shots are a viable option as long as their success rate is higher then one in three.  
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 11:56am

Part of the question is how to define "risky"?

To me,  the description "risky" only applies to what you don't practice.  If you nail it in practice consistently, then it isn't risky.  Some people complain about missing put away shots on high balls, but trust me, if you practiced those shots, you might realize that you aren't 100% on them (more like 70% or 80%) and that therefore, attacking them in a match is riskier than you think it was based on your assumptions of how accurate you should be.  Anything you don't practice has significant uncertainty to it and is likely riskier than you think it is.

I think the issue is when you go to a play that you don't practice enough to be fairly sure what to expect from it at the end of a match.  I personally never introduce a new play at match point in a match, especially if I am serving.  I just select one of the plays that I used less often in the match whose pattern I liked.  I always throw in one serve per game from the forehand corner of the table in a competitive match to see what my opponent does and if I like the way the point played out, I go to those serves at match point if the game is close.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BizLawProf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by BizLawProf BizLawProf wrote:

Last tournament--my third--I played a a guy about 170 pts higher.  Fought back from something like 4 - 7 down in game five to 9 - 10 down.  He was obviously feeling pressure more than me.  But I made the mistake of thinking: "Oooh, rating points!" At match pt, down 9-10, I hit to his BH and ran him out of position, he hit a weak BH nice and floaty high cross table and I stepped up to rip a hard BH winner...and just missed long, maybe an inch.  I should've maybe run around the shot and hit FH, but my BH's better, so I felt confident.  I didn't choke, really had nothing to lose.  But I blew it, it was a set up shot for me, but I tried to hit too hard a shot, didn't do what got me there.

Which is why sometimes, it makes sense to forget the ratings and ask simple questions like "where am I winning most of my points and how can I recreate those situations?"  Playing to rating is dangerous, and assuming that one is playing above one's head because the game is tight with a higher rated player can be a mistake because you might be playing at your level, but just be in the game because you are taking advantage of a matchup that hasn't been read properly yet by yourself or your opponent.

Yep, you're right, can't pay too much attention to ratings.  I'm going to try and pay no attention at next tournament to ratings and just play opponents as they come.  I'll check ratings afterwards.

When I played competitive golf, I often saw people getting out of their comfort zones because they were playing really well, and they'd almost invariably blow a hole or three and get back to a score with which they were more familiar.  Perhaps they were legitimately getting better, but some part of them would be psychologically incapable of internalizing it and it might take a few rounds playing "over their heads" before they could come to terms with the fact and they'd finally finish the round off in the manner in which they were capable--and then truly do move up to a higher level of play.  I think it's why people, as they get better, tend to plateau. 

Maybe I'm actually even starting to play 170 pts higher that my USATT, but I wasn't yet mentally ready to acknowledge it and impulsively went for a shot that truly was above my head and insured I wouldn't take that leap.  John McEnroe discussed this phenomenon in his own game when he lost for a few years consistently to Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg and others who he'd probably passed up (but as yet wasn't psychologically ready for that step up to world #1), and when he finally did fully realize his skill level, perhaps at Wimbledon in '81, he blew by everyone and became #1 for four solid years.

Edited by BizLawProf - 10/25/2012 at 12:41pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

it's always good to surprise your opponent when trying to end the set IMO.... I always do something completely different like fast down the line serves, fast underspin reverse serves or short no-spin (unless there are already clear point winning strategies that you can follow). Strategy is always king!

Of course you run the risk of surprising yourself by not adequately executing the surprise -- maybe serving off the table, or long but not long enough.  Or a super spinny serve that comes back in a strange and unexpected way that you have not seen previously in the match.  Even harder to execute some of those if you are nervous too.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 12:43pm

The description "risky" only applies to what you don't practice.  If you nail it in practice consistently, then it isn't risky. 

This is absolutely true.  The risk I am wondering about arises when you are pushing yourself to do something just a bit "extra" to close out a match.  For example, you say to yourself, ok, this time i need an extra-spinny serve because it's 9-9; something you don't always do, or at least, haven't been doing up to that time in a given match.  Maybe even more so if it's not your home court and/or the opponent is not familiar.  Personally I think that particular psychology is hard to resist, but is also going to lose more than it wins.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The description "risky" only applies to what you don't practice.  If you nail it in practice consistently, then it isn't risky. 

This is absolutely true.  The risk I am wondering about arises when you are pushing yourself to do something just a bit "extra" to close out a match.  For example, you say to yourself, ok, this time i need an extra-spinny serve because it's 9-9; something you don't always do, or at least, haven't been doing up to that time in a given match.  Maybe even more so if it's not your home court and/or the opponent is not familiar.  Personally I think that particular psychology is hard to resist, but is also going to lose more than it wins.

I think that is why going for more fails not just under pressure, but fails in general.  But to the degree going for more can be distinguished from executing properly, then there is a reward for executing properly.  But is executing properly a high risk strategy?  I think it depends on what is being executed.  Deep serve placement is a high risk strategy for many people, as is extreme short serve placement or perfect half-mid long serve placement.  But sometimes, you may realize that your good stuff may not be enough.  If so, I wouldn't necessarily blame someone for going for more, because playing within oneself sometimes will not bring the desired result.
Cybershape Carbon
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 2:37pm

For me,  instead of adding 'extra' spin, I'd rather return or serve to a good ball placement to get a better follow-up shot.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 4:20pm

Part of the question is how to define "risky"?

To me,  the description "risky" only applies to what you don't practice.  If you nail it in practice consistently, then it isn't risky. 

True, but at the same time, if you have 2 options, one to push the ball back with a 95% safety and one to loop it with a 80% safety, then the loop is, by my definition, the risk shot. Sure, not a major risk, but are you willing to take the increased risk in a tense situation? Also, what have the results been in previous points, when you have taken the risk? Perhaps the simple push is a better option, esepcially if your opponent is nervous as well.

I stated before that I don't get nervous, I ger focused. Today, I was proven wrong on this. Not due to a tense situation, cause that simply don't bother me. No, the nerves and tension came from playing a disabled player, a player I felt I should beat with ease. Geez, I was shaking out of nervosity and played horribly. Luckily, we never got to finish the match, as the team match was decided while we played, so I got away from it at 1-1 in set, having played the worst TT I have played for a very long time.
The holy grail
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 4:34pm

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

it's always good to surprise your opponent when trying to end the set IMO.... I always do something completely different like fast down the line serves, fast underspin reverse serves or short no-spin (unless there are already clear point winning strategies that you can follow). Strategy is always king!

Of course you run the risk of surprising yourself by not adequately executing the surprise -- maybe serving off the table, or long but not long enough.  Or a super spinny serve that comes back in a strange and unexpected way that you have not seen previously in the match.  Even harder to execute some of those if you are nervous too.

I practise these serves regularly too, but i usually reserve them for crucial purposes. I never get nervous because it's not something that affects my livelihood, if I win it's good fun and if i lose it's good fun too. Also, it's really cool to win a match by a fast down the line serve that has your opponent just staring at it helplessly, it makes you feel like Waldner...Wink   LOL

Why worry about risk taking? We're all amateurs and we play to have good fun anyway, not for money. Winning or losing shouldn't be so important to us. Just go out, have fun and go for all your shots. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

True, but at the same time, if you have 2 options, one to push the ball back with a 95% safety and one to loop it with a 80% safety, then the loop is, by my definition, the risk shot. Sure, not a major risk, but are you willing to take the increased risk in a tense situation? Also, what have the results been in previous points, when you have taken the risk? Perhaps the simple push is a better option, esepcially if your opponent is nervous as well.

Yes, but loop also has an expected value of winning the point, so if it is more likely that the loop will win the point, it might not be as risky as just calculating the percentage of executing it makes out.

Yes, you are right - part of the reason we play safe is not just to avoid losing the point, but to let the opponent lose it as well.  But I still hold that the true risk involves going for what you don't practice.  If you know that you don't loop backspin on the forehand side well (yours truly) and you set up a play designed to do that, then you should not complain when you miss the shot.  I rarely regret losses because usually, I learn something that is useful for my growth.
I stated before that I don't get nervous, I get focused. Today, I was proven wrong on this. Not due to a tense situation, cause that simply don't bother me. No, the nerves and tension came from playing a disabled player, a player I felt I should beat with ease. Geez, I was shaking out of nervosity and played horribly. Luckily, we never got to finish the match, as the team match was decided while we played, so I got away from it at 1-1 in set, having played the worst TT I have played for a very long time.

Ah, I have experienced that too.  Sometimes, there are different rules to play by and also, the disabled player might have been a much better player who got hobbled by injury.  One of the players in my club who is 2100 plays at about 1700+ strength left-handed.  It's annoying to lose to a guy playing with his weaker hand, but it teaches you that table tennis is not just in the mind or the body, but in both.
Cybershape Carbon
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 5:51pm

The decision is also based on how strong or how good is the push and how effective is the loop, and how comfortable is one executing the strokes.

I look at the percentages from both your shots and your opponent.

Generally speaking I choose loops over pushes.  I say 80% for loop is high enough for me to loop.  I will have a high percentage of winning that point.  Often time I see players try to hit the 50% power loops.  I advise against those.  There are some shots being placed in awkward positions that I would push or do a transitional loop, instead of risking for a power loop.  Sometimes a slow low loop is just as effective. 

I suppose when we lose those close games, that’s when we have to evaluate our selection of shots.  If we lose by a large margin, either it is a matter of different level of skills or we are taking too many risky shots.

Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

For me,  instead of adding 'extra' spin, I'd rather return or serve to a good ball placement to get a better follow-up shot.

That's what I try to do, more or less out of experience of being in these situations.  Where exactly depends on what's been working.  It is maybe to a good idea to use a serve that often results in a third ball that you have trained a lot, even if it is a serve less likely to win the point outright.  On return, well, I just try to make as good a service return as I can and survive past the third ball to get into the point and then remember to breathe during the point.  If my opponent makes a bad serve, I try to make a strong shot but not one designed to win the point outright.  I guess, I have beaten  myself enough times in that situation that I really try not to do that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic