Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to beat Seemiller grippers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 11:58am
Backspins to their BH, that's what saved my a$$ the last time I played a Seemiller grip player with anti on the FH.   Other than that, aim for the two inches around the side of the table just like you would with anybody else.   I do find that low short serves directly down the middle works.  It is hard for them to hit the ball back with the main side of their paddle when they have to reach towards the net.  They can lift the ball up with the back side but these returns are weak.

I am relatively tall.   I don't see how one can play with the Seemiller grip unless they are much shorter than I am.   I find it odd that more women don't use it given they like to play a fast close to the table kind of game.

Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 5:59pm
The only Seemiller grip player I ever played was Danny.  In about 1975.  I can summarize and say that nothing I tried worked.
Ignarus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ignarus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 9:15pm

I often hear Seemiller Grip players being tactically compared to penholders and when it comes to topspin rallies, that's very reasonable because there's no major arm-positioning changeover point (elbow) for topspin rallies.

But the penholder comparison doesn't hold up for backspin. 

When alternately backspinning on the FH/BH sides, switching from the forehand (palm up) to the backhand (palm still up!) requires a ton of pronation, more so than even shakehand players have to deal with. It's not unlike a penholder trying to push with the RPB side. There's an elbow!

So.. If you can manage to get your Seemiller Gripping opponent to use that backhand side in a pushing rally, attacking the elbow with topspin or another deep push is just as legitimate a tactic as it would be against a shakehand player. 

Obviously, there's a skill level where both players can comfortably avoid push rallies, but after a miss or two, a player might opt for more caution and this tactic might still get you a point or two.

MMaze(Ten05/Outlaw)
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 10:29pm
How to beat a Seemiller player? LOL Always makes me laugh. We do not all play the same just as shake players do not play the same. I have a VERY good backhand loop with the primary side but I also use the anti by just rolling the forarm. I can push with the anti all day. Good serves to my backhand get returned with the anti and they get thier own spin back or I flip with the anti. Long serves to my backhand are attacked with the primary side. Get in a pushing war with me and the first one that is an inch too high and I will loop it with the primary probably catching you too close to the table. There is no warning which side I will use, the choice is instant by rolling the forarm.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 9:33am
C'Mon Hookshot, ask 'em if they fell lucky, we want so much to hear you say this on the forums!

I can just picture how it would go if someone simply tried to out push you. = utter fail. You have practiced holding the table 20 years, it won't work. Only spin variation and deception of placement has a chance vs you as you know how to take stuff early and make it uncomfortable for opponent to continue.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 8:47pm
i like how this thread go revived after 6 years
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic