Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doubles tactics for looper/chopper?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
33333hhhhh View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33333hhhhh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doubles tactics for looper/chopper?
    Posted: 12/24/2012 at 11:40pm
Hi everybody! I'm a chopper(pure chopping), my strongest part is backhand chop(quite weak from fore side). My partner is a looper(FH, BH equal strong). Her weakest part is footwork, because of bad knee, so "running around each other" opportunity is limited. Has anyone any kind of advise?(I'm absolutely beginner in doubles game, so I'd be happy for any kind of advise :))

My main point would be a nice, makable tactic, to keep any kind of balls that coming to me, on my backhand.

We are not at high level, so simply tactics would be better :)

Greetings
Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2012 at 7:21am
Both players can push, and the looper can open when there is an opportunity. If the chopper has a reliable kill, this would fit well. Also if the looper can lob a bit it helps
So the aim should be to have a strategy based on consistently returning the ball whether looping, blocking or pushing. Fortunately this kind of strategy works well at league level, because maintaining long rallies is difficult for attackers below the top level. You need to plan the direction of your shots so that your opponents options are limited. For instance if you both play your shots to one side, then opponents may find themselves getting in each others way.
Being able to return the ball DEEP is critical both for topspin or chop because that prevents the opponents from easily playing short. IF you play short however opponents have many choices:- SHORT (pulling you over table in way of yr partner) or DEEP to either side as is best for them, or KILL of short pop ups.
So rather than playing short to stop opponents attacking rather let them attack but from balls that you have played deep.
Whether you can do the above depends to a large extent on the footwork of you and your partner. You may have to lose a few before you perfect this style as you have to learn to enforce it against different opponents, both righties and lefties and right/lefties, but I think you'll have fun learning.
good luck and happy new year!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2012 at 11:16am
I would advise -  you play the forehand side of the table and she plays the backhand side.
Ball to you - chop with your backhand to the middle of the table or right hand side. Since she is positioned on the BH side of the table - chances are they will return to her side - she then loops forehand down the line or to the middle of the table - returns you should be already in position to chop back. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
33333hhhhh View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33333hhhhh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2012 at 2:55pm
Thanks for answers very much! We will study this with my doubles partner, seems to me that your advices will help us.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic