FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Table Tennis Tactics for Thinkers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table Tennis Tactics for Thinkers
    Posted: 02/12/2013 at 3:19pm
I got my copy today.  Page turner so far... 
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

Jinami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2013 at 4:27pm
Is it worth getting a hard copy or will the kindle version be enough?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2013 at 5:04pm
I don't use Kindles so I don't know - I think so far it is worth it both ways.  Hodges does say that the Kindle version will need some revisions for formatting and pictures to make it, so the print version is currently superior.  He is not sure if the Kindle version will permit people to download again after he makes the pictures a part of the book, but hopes re-downloading will be permitted.

Edited by NextLevel - 02/12/2013 at 5:06pm
Cybershape Carbon
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2013 at 5:16pm
wonder if it is a compilation of this:

or something new?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2013 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

or something new?

Good question - I think I would call it something new.  It has a far better structure than random articles amassed over the years, though those blog tips are also of high quality.

Edited by NextLevel - 02/12/2013 at 5:21pm
Cybershape Carbon
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2013 at 5:20pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2013 at 7:23am
if you're a smart player you will soon figure all these stuff by yourself without books to teach you. Also it helps to train yourself to think critically and observe your opponent because it will train you to outsmart your opponent. :P
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Jinami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2013 at 8:32am
I realized that it's free to borrow if you have Amazon Prime. Fun and engaging read so far!

A smart player would learn from what others took days, months, and years to figure out instead of spending the same large amount of time.  

To be a master, the faster way is to learn from other masters. Reading books from people who have been there is an option. :)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2013 at 8:51am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

if you're a smart player you will soon figure all these stuff by yourself without books to teach you. Also it helps to train yourself to think critically and observe your opponent because it will train you to outsmart your opponent. :P

Not necessarily.  Aren't there many smart self-taught table tennis players out there who plateau because they can't figure out the small adjustments in technique or strategy to get better?
Cybershape Carbon
Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 4:36pm
Just bought the kindle version and started reading. Thanks for letting me know that this book exists.

I have long been a reader of Hodges blogs and articles and found them much more real than the theoretical BS to be found in other places.

@blahness - there would be no self help books on ANY topic if everyone smart could think everything.  Also, scientific discovery would also remain a mere accident because everyone would know everything. Please do not piss on a thread if you dont see value in it. Walk away.

I think of myself as a tactically smart player but still see a lot of value in knowing things i dont know. THAT is being smart. Not thinking that I can think everything in time because I am smart.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Rahul_TT Rahul_TT wrote:

Just bought the kindle version and started reading. Thanks for letting me know that this book exists.

I have long been a reader of Hodges blogs and articles and found them much more real than the theoretical BS to be found in other places.

@blahness - there would be no self help books on ANY topic if everyone smart could think everything.  Also, scientific discovery would also remain a mere accident because everyone would know everything. Please do not piss on a thread if you dont see value in it. Walk away.

I think of myself as a tactically smart player but still see a lot of value in knowing things i dont know. THAT is being smart. Not thinking that I can think everything in time because I am smart.

Rahul

Good to see you.   I found your post on OOAK on this topic (beating better players with strategy) excellent. I feel that I am living on borrowed strategy time against the younger players in my club. Soon, their strokes will be so good it makes no difference. I read Larry's blog daily and while some parts of the book recall the blog tips, the books structure and organization is excellent and this is a great book for anyone interested on strategy.
Cybershape Carbon
Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 11:15am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by Rahul_TT Rahul_TT wrote:

Rahul

Good to see you.   I found your post on OOAK on this topic (beating better players with strategy) excellent. I feel that I am living on borrowed strategy time against the younger players in my club. Soon, their strokes will be so good it makes no difference. I read Larry's blog daily and while some parts of the book recall the blog tips, the books structure and organization is excellent and this is a great book for anyone interested on strategy.

Thanks! good to know I could help in any way.
I started reading the book and I feel the same - a lot is common but because of the structure, its easier to incorporate in the game. And hey! there will always be some other younger players in their place! :)

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 11:33am
I wonder how many people think during a point, from what i've done and seen most are just reacting Tongue
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 12:12pm
 I believe tactical sense and experience go hand in hand. It's great to have an overall game plan against an opponent but reading their weakness's and exploiting them is priceless. Smile
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

True but it will take you years to properly organize all that stuff in your head - and even then you might be missing some parts of it. Larry has done a great job there - not for everyone, granted, but a very necessary book nevertheless.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by The Shakehander The Shakehander wrote:

I wonder how many people think during a point, from what i've done and seen most are just reacting Tongue

tAs an example of how much work Larry put in, he actually discusses this issue and quotes Schlager a few times on tactical decisions being done subconsciously the faster the game gets and gives a few examples. Of course, there are simple ones such as hitting/looping away from the opponent or anticipating a pivot and hitting away. Sometimes, because I still have a bad habit of using by backhand on my forehand side even for long serves, I note my table positioning when this occurs and step over very slightly to my backhand side. Most players on the other side do not notice this shift, but wonder why when the next serve comes long, they see a forehand loop.

Edited by NextLevel - 02/19/2013 at 12:29pm
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 1:00pm
This is why i also highly believe in video recording your play/practices if you wish to improve but you have to honestly have the video critiqued properly ...not sure if that's in the book?

Edited by The Shakehander - 02/19/2013 at 1:00pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 1:02pm

They don't. What they do is that they think during the practice, when they do drills specifically created to run some tactical ideas, maneuvers, 1-2 combinations etc. When you do stuff like that many hundred times, your brain/body/muscle memory gets enhanced and you do those things during rallies without actual pondering about them. Your brain is taught to quickly run through different scenarios, to evaluate possible moves and outcomes and execute a selected strategy.

It's the same when you drive and all of a sudden a car in front of you decides to change lanes. Since it happened (maybe not so suddenly) many times before, you are trained to do many things at once - your right foot applies the brakes, your brain decides whether it is safe to switch lanes (based on visual info and general info about traffic around you), your hands execute some turn etc. All that within fraction of a second after that unfortunate maneuver by that other driver.

Same in TT - practice makes perfect. That's - by the way - why they say that the most dangerous drivers are the ones who drive for about 1-2 years. It is because they think that by now they are experienced and know how to deal with everything so they get cocky. In reality they didn't have even close to enough practice in split-second situations like that. Therefore they are even more dangerous than beginners (those at least know they are bad at it, so they drive carefully). Analogy in TT is that when beginners with bad technique are taught to break with their bad habits and train properly, their results and their game actually suffers for a while (first year, perhaps) until they improve enough to make a difference.

But I digress. I am sure you see the analogy. It is very helpful to think about stuff like that after the matches or before the matches but unless you actually practice doing that many many times, it will not become ingrained in you at the level of your muscle memory, when your body makes proper decisions faster than you can think about what to do.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 1:33pm
thanks for posting the link to the book. I just read a few sample pages on Amazon and will be buying it. In the few sample pages I read and found some good, useful info. I got to 2000 years ago by just simply improving my strokes, serves, and serve returns. The problem though was I was just kind of playing, I wasn't thinking much about tactics during the match.  As I've gotten older I have gotten better at tactics and have jumped up to almost 2200 now. I've come ever so close to beating several 2300+ players recently, losing in 5 games, but just didn't quite pull them out. I'm hoping that reading the book and using some of the strategy and tactics will finally help me break that barrier.
thanks for the post.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 4:47pm

Perhaps this is true during the point, but what about before the point? I'm sure (at least I hope this is the case) that most players think before they serve, analyze patterns in the previous rallies and tries to come up with new ways to play to gain the uper hand. I know I do this all the time.
The holy grail
jatienza930 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jatienza930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 5:38pm
BTY TBS FL
T05
T64

My Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56638&KW=jen&title=jatienza930-buy-sell-feedback
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 5:41pm
For those with the book, what kind of pictures are there? I'm not in a rush to read the book yet, but would like to have pictures in the kindle version. 
andy.h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy.h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

For those with the book, what kind of pictures are there? I'm not in a rush to read the book yet, but would like to have pictures in the kindle version. 

Only pictures of famous and not players. No schemes, diagrams or anything of that kind. This is just kinda plain text book.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 8:53am
Great book - lots of content.

BTW: anyone have a video showing the 'strawberry flip' receive as mentioned in the book?
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Hodges does say that the Kindle version will need some revisions for formatting and pictures to make it, so the print version is currently superior.  He is not sure if the Kindle version will permit people to download again after he makes the pictures a part of the book, but hopes re-downloading will be permitted.

I've updated the Kindle version of Table Tennis Tactics for Thinkers with pictures. It was a huge formatting hassle, but I finally found out what was causing all the problems. All those who had already bought and downloaded it received an email telling them how they can download (for free) the new version. You can also download and read it on an iPad and iPhone.
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 5:09pm

or something new?

Table Tennis Tactics for Thinkers is about 70% new, and 30% past stuff incorporated into the book.
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 5:12pm

Great book - lots of content.
BTW: anyone have a video showing the 'strawberry flip' receive as mentioned in the book?

I've been unable to find one either. The shot was demonstrated at the USATT coaching seminar at (I think) the 2011 USA Nationals. Several players at my club have been experimenting with it.
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 9:11pm
Larry's articles and books have improved my skill and hastened my learning curve a lot.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic