Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What sets apart Timo Bol from other players?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Spin83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 8:10am
Only ZJ can loop 3 or more times with B. Imo main strenght of TB is that he's lefty and with powerful and accurate topsin to opponent BH side he can be devastating.

Edited by Spin83 - 04/16/2013 at 8:15am
Sponsored Links

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Spin83 Spin83 wrote:

Only ZJ can loop 3 or more times with B. Imo main strenght of TB is that he's lefty and with powerful and accurate topsin to opponent BH side he can be devastating.

The 4H sticky topsheet used by the Chinese, along with technique, practice and overall strategy, gives them more consistency than the European player on the average.   

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 04/16/2013 at 9:00am
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 8:56am
His reaction time & off-the-bounce play are excellent (for a European player). I remember he once had Chen Qi giving up the table all-match like a European player would!
As LGL had mentioned in an interview once, his FH / BH transitions are very quick (despite his large change of grip)
Great consistency (practice makes perfect - he's been playing a lot since 4 and has been watched as one of Europe's finest prospects at a young age)
Great spin (I saw him up close - amazing to see how much he rotates the ball)
Best of all: Great Guy - I was amazed at how he talked quite a bit with any fan who approached him at Spin NYC. He talked with me for 7 - 10 minutes between matches about fellow players, coaches nd equipment without that "Dude, I gotta go" vibe.
Very Federer-like calm demeanour

However, I would not advise a youngster to follow his style. Sometimes, with his FH, he tends to play a bit upward instead of forward. The Chinese have greatly improved their smashing his FH loops.

I'm also not fond of his footwork (relative to comparably ranked pros) & his over reliance on his reflexes (he sometimes gets jammed because of not moving a step back at optimal times). His power from mid-distance is sub-par for play at that level.
I don't think his return of serve is that great - in the recent WC, he was popping up returns quite a bit against ML. He can withstand a good 3rd ball better due to his reflexes though

Edited by slevin - 04/16/2013 at 8:57am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Left handed inside out forehand topspin (as the icing on the cake to a very consistent high spin game).  His topspin tends to break way from the opponent's stroke in an unorthodox way.  That's the problem most people have facing him and it is why the Chinese relentlessly pin him on the backhand before moving him.

I have noticed this too.  It definitely makes him difficult to anticipate.  Good observation!
DHSHurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHSHurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2013 at 1:51pm
He is like a well-oiled German machine

you can compare it with the German cars..
PatrickL2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatrickL2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2013 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by riker71 riker71 wrote:

Consistency, compact powerful strokes and his composure& body language always positive, stays very composed whether winning or losing, all qualities to be admired

Totally agree. I can't say it better!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic