Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Open Challenge Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 11:40am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Not much info about Tao Wenzhang on the Chinese website, I found out only a little bit.
The link below shows the club he belongs.  Scroll down, his picture is on the lower-right.

His Chinese name is :  陶文章
Couldn't find his birth date, but read somewhere that he was born in 1995.

He is a reserve player in the club, so not much chance to play - sitting on the bench mostly. 
The club has many big names:
Men:  Zhang Jike, Fang Bo, Zhang Chao, Hou Yingchao, Wu Hao, Chen Hao
Women:  Li Xiaoxia, Chen Meng, Gu Yuting, Gu Ruochen, Wang Xuan

*** This is one more player for those interested in RPB to study. ***

I am very interested in him as well. I like his techniques better than some of other young penholds I have seen, Wu Jiaji, Zheng Peifeng, etc......very fluid and strong backhand. His record includes wins over Xu Chenhao and Fan Zhendong who are competing more now. I hope he doesn't disappear, his club is too strong for him to play the super league.
Sponsored Links

cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 11:53am
Originally posted by The Observer The Observer wrote:

Not much info about Tao Wenzhang on the Chinese website, I found out only a little bit.
The link below shows the club he belongs.  Scroll down, his picture is on the lower-right.

He is a reserve player in the club, so not much chance to play - sitting on the bench mostly. 

I am very interested in him as well. I like his techniques better than some of other young penholds I have seen, Wu Jiaji, Zheng Peifeng, etc......very fluid and strong backhand. His record includes wins over Xu Chenhao and Fan Zhendong who are competing more now. I hope he doesn't disappear, his club is too strong for him to play the super league.

In 2011 Tao messed around a lot in practice, hopefully he changed his ways if he wants to move to the next level
Krislupe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krislupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 12:46pm
Hi all, I am new to this forum and find it very informative on all things table tennis. I would like to add some info on Tao. He participated in the Chengdu Junior and Cadet open in China in 2010 and his birthday was listed as 21 April 1994. He lost in the round of 32 to Lee Chia-Sheng of Chinese Taipei 4-3. He also competed in the Taiyuan Junior and Cadet open in China in the same year and lost in the round of 16 to Cai Wei 4-2. He had qualified for the main draw in Taiyuan by topping his group.

clarity at all times
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 12:51pm
Interesting comments by "The Observer" and "cmetmbeltran15", I'll add a bit more here.

How Tao ended up here playing 2011 Joola NA Teams? 
This is my speculation (may not be true):  Alex has good friendship with the Shandong club, and invited 3 players to come to play.  One player was unable to come, only  Fang Bo and Zhang Chao could make it - so Tao Wenzhang was drafted to play for the Alex TT Elite team.  Tao lost to Liu Song but beat Wang Zhen in that event.
Tao Wenzhang vs Wang Zhen's record is now  1 -- 1. (After US Open).

Tao is an insignificant player in China.  His win of U-21 event is not reported there.
Tao beat Yuan Xiaojie (usatt 2639) 4:0 in the U-21 final.  Prior to this US Open, Yuan Xiaojie was unbeaten in the 3 tourneys that he played here.

*** Tao is still young (born in 1995), got great RPB.  Should have a good future if he plays. ***

*** Did China choose to send him (and Yang Ce) to US Open? Or he came on his own but agreed by China TT Association.***
skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Krislupe Krislupe wrote:

Hi all, I am new to this forum and find it very informative on all things table tennis. I would like to add some info on Tao. He participated in the Chengdu Junior and Cadet open in China in 2010 and his birthday was listed as 21 April 1994. He lost in the round of 32 to Lee Chia-Sheng of Chinese Taipei 4-3. He also competed in the Taiyuan Junior and Cadet open in China in the same year and lost in the round of 16 to Cai Wei 4-2. He had qualified for the main draw in Taiyuan by topping his group.

=================================================

I was unable to find Tao's birthday, in a reader's comment section, one said he was born in 1995.

Now you found out his exact birthday:  21 April 1994.
Where did you find that?
skip3119
Krislupe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krislupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 1:04pm
The list of players in the Chengdu and Taiyuan junior open 2010 give the date of birth for each player.
clarity at all times
assasin8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assasin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 1:14pm
Tao was accompanied and coached by his uncle from what I heard.

Edited by assasin8 - 07/10/2013 at 1:15pm
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 1:17pm

The list of players in the Chengdu and Taiyuan junior open 2010 give the date of birth for each player.
========================================

A few days ago, I searched the Chinese Website for those two Juniors & Cadets tourneys, it had only the announcements of the starting dates and the names of the Major Referees appointed - it didn't even have the final results.  The Ratings Central (English) did have the results.

What is the link that listed each player's birthday?

Thanks.
skip3119
Krislupe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krislupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 1:29pm
It is on the ITTF website, under the Global Juniors calendar 2010.
clarity at all times
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 1:49pm

It is on the ITTF website, under the Global Juniors calendar 2010.
=================================================================

Yes, indeed.  Thanks.

Tao Wenzhang was born on 21-abr-1994.

(I guess abr stands for April.)
(I don't know what language they use for the MONTH?
Here are some:  abr, ene, ago, dic.  I think dic means December. Don't know "ene" and "ago".)

skip3119
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 2:03pm

Yes i heard he was not on that team but the reserve team below those players
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 3:11pm
In China Tao Wenzhang may not have much of a chance to play. Will disappear in a few years.

If he moves to another country, he is likely to have a chance to play.
skip3119
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 3:21pm
abril is spanish for april

:)
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 3:22pm

• enero — January
  • febrero — February
  • marzo — March
  • abril — April
  • mayo — May
  • junio — June
  • julio — July
  • agosto — August
  • septiembre, setiembre — September
  • octubre — October
  • noviembre — November
  • diciembre — December
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

• enero — January
  • febrero — February
  • marzo — March
  • abril — April
  • mayo — May
  • junio — June
  • julio — July
  • agosto — August
  • septiembre, setiembre — September
  • octubre — October
  • noviembre — November
  • diciembre — December
===========================================

Thanks. 

Looks like whatever language that ITTF chooses to use, we have someone here to help out.

skip3119
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 4:08pm
Here's an English version (from the 2010 Taiyuan Junior Open):
http://www.ittf.com/juniors/2010/JC16CHN2/2010jc_Taiyuan_entries.pdf

T AO    W enzhang    陶文章    CHN    21-Apr-94
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 8:10pm
Tao Wenzhang is a Shandong club's reserve player, and provides whatever services that the club's top players want.  (Just like Hu Limei was serving Ding Ning, whatever Ding Ning wants, many years ago.)

Edited by skip3119 - 07/11/2013 at 1:08am
skip3119
frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 9:36pm
The Japanese women are masters in the effective use of long pips in their backhand. The Japanese contingent featured several women with long pips in their backhand.  Megumi Abe, the eventual Women's Single winner has long pips on her backhand.  Here is another - Ms. Nakamura not only confuse but also frustrate Anqi Luo of Canada.

http://youtu.be/TApTPARBQ5k

Jens Lundquist vs Marcos Madrid  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr6P4fGGCQ4

Zoran Primorac vs Masato Shiono  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stE-zk0VnWQ

Enjoy

Gerry
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 10:57am
Originally posted by frontosa frontosa wrote:

The Japanese women are masters in the effective use of long pips in their backhand. The Japanese contingent featured several women with long pips in their backhand.  Megumi Abe, the eventual Women's Single winner has long pips on her backhand.  Here is another - Ms. Nakamura not only confuse but also frustrate Anqi Luo of Canada.

http://youtu.be/TApTPARBQ5k

Jens Lundquist vs Marcos Madrid  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr6P4fGGCQ4

Zoran Primorac vs Masato Shiono  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stE-zk0VnWQ

Enjoy

Gerry
===========================================================

Thanks for the great video.  The Japanese player, Shigeko Nakamura's service is very interesting in that she can commit at the last moment as to which side of her paddle to hit the ball.

Btw, if you enjoy TT video, you can subscribe to Gerry's channel:

Beside tournament videos, Gerry has quite a few entertaining TT videos - I like his "Spin LA" a lot.

Thanks Gerry.

Update:  "Spin LA" were videos taken in a bar, in an informal environment, where many very good players took a shot at the world top players - otherwise they wouldn't have played against one another in a formal tournament.  Very good to watch.

Edited by skip3119 - 07/12/2013 at 1:44pm
skip3119
frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2013 at 12:22pm
Might be an interest for those who like defenders vs an offensive machine.

Eugene Wang vs Wang Qingliang Men's Singles Round of 16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c1wGjEx9Fc
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2013 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by frontosa frontosa wrote:

Might be an interest for those who like defenders vs an offensive machine.

Eugene Wang vs Wang Qingliang Men's Singles Round of 16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c1wGjEx9Fc
Thanks - I'll embed for others

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2013 at 10:58am
From gfrontosa's channel.

Petrissa Solja vs Tina Lin U21 Women's Quarterfinals

Dan Liu vs Can Wang U21 QF

Edited by skip3119 - 07/19/2013 at 11:36am
skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2013 at 10:14am
High quality video from gfrontosa's channel.
Videotaped and edited by Gerry Chua.

===============================

Yang Ce vs Tatsuya Ono Men's Singles 16s

Edited by skip3119 - 07/20/2013 at 10:20am
skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2013 at 12:56am
High quality video from gfrontosa's channel.
Videotaped and edited by Gerry Chua.

Two new video releases.

Note: The prior 10 matches (between these two players) before this one, each player won 5.

Ariel Hsing vs Lily Zhang U21 Girls Semifinals

Note:  Those interested in RPB, here is Tao Wenzhang.  Tao gave Eugene Wang more trouble in the main event than any other player.  Actually he almost won. (Well, "almost" is not good enough).

Li Tianyu was the player who knocked out Filimon Andrei (7th seed) in the main event.

Tao Wenzhang vs Li Tianyu U21 Boys Single SF

Edited by skip3119 - 07/21/2013 at 1:09am
skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2013 at 10:01am
If you follow players in US and Canada, you are likely to be familiar with these two players.

Zhang Mo first came to my attention was when she won the US Open Women's Single in 2006 right here in Charlotte, NC.   It was a huge upset in the Final, because no one expected her to win.  Her opponent was routinely in the ITTF top 50 while Zhang Mo was a relatively unknown young player.

skip3119
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic