Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

1800 to 2000 USATT. Tips on my video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
snerdly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snerdly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2013 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

You can cover lots of ground with a bh stance by primarily using your arm, upper body and waist rotation, with very little footwork.  Many Paralympic TT players do this, and some of them are rated as high as 2500.  I am not saying footwork is not important, but there are ways to go around poor footwork to still improve your level in a significant way.
Many standing disabled players simply use their lower body as a stable platform that glides around smoothly with minimum footwork... There's a lot to learn from these players for average Joe's who read this forum, imho, in addition to study and mimic what Ma Long and ZJK do.

If I understand correctly, this is a better way to state what I intended; get into better position for your loops.  The amount of footwork needed can be significantly diminished by having a competent BH opening, along with of course, adequate BH rallying capabilities teamed with solid FH/BH transition skills.
Sponsored Links

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2013 at 2:02am
Originally posted by bonggoy bonggoy wrote:

Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

BH is by far your biggest weakness.  Footwork can wait, improving that will just cause you to use your FH even more.  Trust me, having essentially zero capability to attack backspins to the BH side simply won't cut it against 2000+ level players.  After improving your BH, footwork would be next in line.

I have to disagree with this. It is very hard to execute a proper loop (actually any stroke) without getting in the correct position. I've seen people with powerful FH and BH loops during regular drills that were reduced to pushing and blocking. They are unable to properly get into position because of poor footwork.

Yeah, but you know what else prevents someone from executing loops during games?  If you can't even execute them while standing still doing drills.  One step at a time my man, one step at a time.

Edited by dingyibvs - 06/07/2013 at 2:05am
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 7:44pm
I had a pleasure of playing Rahul today and getting beaten by him, so yet again I will say that the video does not show how good some of his skills are. For one, anything in his forehand zone is killed. His backhand is very good too. Push service returns are really good. Although on the video ( and in person ) he does look like he is not moving at all, he is able to reach quite a lot of positions for shots. Perhaps it was his opponent in the video didn't allow him to show his strengths.

All I can say is that he is on his way. His basic set of skills are in good form and I think a few more tweaks with some parts of the game can push him a lot farther. Great job Rahul! Keep up the hard work.
Back to table tennis...
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 10:01pm
Alex, you are a gentlemanClap
Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

I had a pleasure of playing Rahul today and getting beaten by him, so yet again I will say that the video does not show how good some of his skills are. For one, anything in his forehand zone is killed. His backhand is very good too. Push service returns are really good. Although on the video ( and in person ) he does look like he is not moving at all, he is able to reach quite a lot of positions for shots. Perhaps it was his opponent in the video didn't allow him to show his strengths.

All I can say is that he is on his way. His basic set of skills are in good form and I think a few more tweaks with some parts of the game can push him a lot farther. Great job Rahul! Keep up the hard work.

Thanks a lot for that Alex!

You forgot to mention that you came off a 12 hour drive straight onto the table, playing a game with minimal warm-up. So I wouldn't read much into the results. It was great playing with you.

Looking forward to some hitting this Tuesday!
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 1:00am
I don't see it.  The first few rallies of the video are pathetic. 
I agree with Nextlevel.  You opponent was barely in the game so you were losing points, your opponent wasn't winning them.  It is all in the video.  There can be no argument. The is no way you are playing at a 1800 level in the video.  It is as if you did the minimum to beat your opponent.

In the first game you only won the last point.  The rest where due to your inept opponent.
It would be better to show a match where you actually have to win some points to win a match.
Except for the last point the first game was a contest to see who could give away points at the slowest rate.

It would have been nice to see the match with leshxa.

OK, so I am a hard ass but I really do think people should only take videos of matches between equally skilled opponents.  The games should be close.  The should be a lot of rallies where someone wins the point instead of loses the point.  There is a difference.  

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 1:58am
i dont care about that. But that exchange between him and lexsha at the end just makes me gag. What kind of straight person talks like that.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 11:10am
I nominate Assiduous for Paranoid of the Week.
Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 11:52am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

i dont care about that. But that exchange between him and lexsha at the end just makes me gag. What kind of straight person talks like that.

Says the person whose name starts with "ass".
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 12:10pm
as a member of the defense forces i shall permit this fight.
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 12:10pm
Guys, don't be too kind to each other, or girls will leave us...
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Here's a simple thing that should help.  You need to work on your pushes.  It looks like you're trying to jab at or punch the pushes.  Simplify the stroke, shorten the take back.  Keep the stroke parallel to the table instead of pushing up or down.  Part of it is pushing longer balls that should be spun.  At 1800 you're better than me, but I see more quick room for improvement in short game than I do in improving your loop or even loop preparation.

If you watch ZJK, Ma Lin or Ryu Seung Min push, they seem like they're "jabbing" the ball with the bat pointing forwards, and for me that sort of technique allows me to reach shorter balls, and seem to generate more spin.

They get their racket in place and then take a very short jab which is really a high speed push executed properly but quickly. Often they're reading subtleties of spin and compensating. Anyway you can break the rules once you've mastered them. I'm not saying you can't point the tip forward on short pushes - in fact thats proper. But I bet they're still stroking parallel to the table unless the ball they're pushing is a short topspin.

I'd be interested to get other opinions on this.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 12:43pm
:)

Edited by kickass - 07/09/2013 at 12:46pm
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 3:53pm
This thread is funny. I play with Rahul from time to time and I must say his game is definitely between 1800-2000 at this time. Yes, I agree that the video posted does not really show his total skill level as his playing partner is not up to his level. Yet, from my personal experience, Rahul is on his way to playing 2000 level as soon as he improves his footwork and his mid distance game. He has good serves, good understanding of spin, nice pace on his forehand and backhand loops and an overall good understanding of the game.
who no know go know
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Rahul_TT Rahul_TT wrote:

Says the person whose name starts with "ass".

You realize that's not a very good serve receive, do you? That's just waiting for a kill, but I don't want to distract the attention from your cuddly exchange.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by naijachief naijachief wrote:

Yet, from my personal experience, Rahul is on his way to playing 2000 level as soon as he improves his footwork...
I agree with you but, from memory, he has been playing for 11 years. I don't want to sound mean but if he hasn't developed footwork in all that time when is it going to emerge? He actually looks like he has never seriously worked on footwork. I recall seeing a clip of Rahul playing a year or 2 back and he had exactly the same issues. 
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

Yet, from my personal experience, Rahul is on his way to playing 2000 level as soon as he improves his footwork...

I agree with you but, from memory, he has been playing for 11 years. I don't want to sound mean but if he hasn't developed footwork in all that time when is it going to emerge? He actually looks like he has never seriously worked on footwork. I recall seeing a clip of Rahul playing a year or 2 back and he had exactly the same issues. 

Well, in order to correct his footwork problems, I suggest he finds a good practice partner who can assist in good drills. I am not sure where you saw a video of Rahul 2 years ago, but, maybe you can share that info with us. As far as I'm concerned, Rahul played his first USATT tournament in June of last year. His first rating was mid 1600's. His last two tournaments he gained a total of 153 points which puts him at a solid 1800 current rating. So, that also means that he made some improvement to his game recently.
who no know go know
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 12:06am
In his original post in this thread Rahul said he has been playing for 11 years but if he has only been playing for a year or so then he has done a very good job. Either way, an increase of 153 points does show improvement. Still, his footwork is an impediment to further improvement and it has to be worked on. 

This is the clip from a year ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e5HPpuzFYTM

I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 2:18pm
I just watched Rahul's match against Lexsha and rewatch a portion of his previous match.

His footwork is fine. It's not world class level but it's sufficient for his level. He is moving relatively well against his match with Lexsha. He looks like a totally different player to be honest.

The problem I noticed was being lazy about movement. This is evident in his match against Shelton.

He has decent serves but were all long and at the same area (backhand).

He missed a lot of backhand loops to the net.

I would concentrate on this:

- Develop short one or two serves to backhand and forehand.
- Improve your backhand loop against backspin. Rahul - if Lexsha is still there, ask him to show how he does it.

Again, Rahul's footwork is fine for his level. He just need to be less, erm, lazy.

Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

I agree that footwork is my biggest concern apart from my backhand loop. I like to keep working on one or two things at one time. My forehand looping is just about to finish and I am happy with my improvements there. Once that is done, I am going to work on BH and movement.

That doesnt mean I haven't been working on it though.

But I want to understand this comment better. I have been playing 11 years and don't have very good footwork. I spent first 9 years in India without a coach playing a lot but with limited learning or exposure to good players. Then, my goals would be to get as much playing time as possible and not levels or ratings.There were days when I would play 13 hours and I made it to my college team of 3 people within 6 months from an initial pool of 30+ just watching videos on the internet and practicing.

Thats why most of my improvement has happened in the last year and half or so and I am happy with that.

But what I learned over those 11 years is invaluable in terms of touch, spin understanding and most of all - tactics. That is why my understanding and tactics are better than a 15 year old 1800 player. So if footwork didn't "emerge", its because it didn't get a chance to. Not because I was lazy.

Anyway, I posted that video not to estimate my level but for feedback because a neutral eye would see more than mine.

I don't think laziness is my problem. Its lack of footwork training which I am working on.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 9:59pm

What kind of straight person talks like that.

Obviously the kind of a straight person you will never be.
Back to table tennis...
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 10:06pm

Lexsha is still there, ask him to show how he does it.

I'm far from a role model for footwork, but I'm working hard on trying to improve it. I probably could offer a few pointers that helped me if needed. But I'm still learning...
Back to table tennis...
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Lexsha is still there, ask him to show how he does it.

I'm far from a role model for footwork, but I'm working hard on trying to improve it. I probably could offer a few pointers that helped me if needed. But I'm still learning...

Not the footwork. The backhand loop against backspin we all use. The one thought to us by Gerard.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 12:05pm
are we talking about [scouse accent] steve gerard [/scouse accent]

bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by decoi decoi wrote:

are we talking about [scouse accent] steve gerard [/scouse accent]

Yes.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 1:43pm
just making sure

raphyelrosby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raphyelrosby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 1:44pm
Is that James Williams in the wheelchair? J-Wall from Atlanta?
Xiom Hayabusa ZX, Sigma II pro on FH, Vega Elite BH.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by raphyelrosby raphyelrosby wrote:

Is that James Williams in the wheelchair? J-Wall from Atlanta?

Yes that's James.
who no know go know
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 1:19pm
Rahul, I saw 2/3 of your match with Leshxa.

You have pretty effective lateral footwork at the table, particularly how you move to make room for hitting balls to the FH side of your elbow. This kind of footwork is often seen in those who stand at the table and push with BH / loop with FH.

But now, you're using your BH loop more after developing it.

Your front - back footwork (to maximize stroke effectiveness) shall naturally improve with your increased using of the BH loop to open.

At the moment, with where you normally stand, you may be vulnerable to deep spinny long pushes to your BH diagonal. I'm sure you have thought of proper responses to them. 

In the 1st set though, Leshxa did you a favor as he did look as if he was limbering / sleep walking as compared to how he normally plays! Quite likely from all the travelling. Smile
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 5:12pm
Where is the video of the Rahul-Leshxa match?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic