Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which is more effective?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is more effective?
    Posted: 06/09/2013 at 8:09am
Just wondering..which do you think is more effective?

A. Placing the same shot on opposite sides after a return
example: loop to FH - (return) - then loop to BH side

or

B. Placing a different shot on the same side
example: loop to FH - (assuming counter looped back) - then block to FH

Of course a mixture of A and B would be better, so separate them for discussion's sake Wink
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
Sponsored Links

neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2013 at 8:39am
I've played the same topspin stroke back and forth and to the middle against a really strong blocker. Eventually one would go long or into the net. Even though it may be the same stroke to you, the shot coming to the opponent is different because of the variation that topspin gives due to slight swing change and the depth and height of the ball. 
I was just trying to put everything I could on each loop, but the loops that landed close to the net would go into the net on the return because the my opponents blade angle remained the same as if the loop were mid distance, so the ball jumped forward into the net before it had a chance to go up. Kind of the opposite for the loops close to the white line. 
But this was ag/ a blocker. You said assuming counterlooped back. I would say you just have to judge based on your endurance and the skill of the other player. I don't like to keep counterlooping if I can avoid it b/c I get worn out. If a simple block will work I'll do that all day to mix it up. Sometime your opponent is just too strong for that. 

USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2013 at 8:39am
i say option A because you stay on the attack and makes it harder for your opponent to get back into the rally. i find blocking is only good if you are moving your opponent around the table and it is most effective when you are close to the table where you can create better angles. 
RSM Special Platinum T64
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2013 at 9:12am
Against a strong FH player, if you can handle the return, it is not a bad idea to go to the FH first and play a strong shot to the weaker BH.

Sometimes it is a good idea to go right back where it came from, especially if opponent is trying to get back into position, you might wrong-foot him or her.

Sometimes it is a good idea to take off some pace or spin subtly, it can really wreck the timing or opponent's read.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2013 at 10:55am
watch the opponent's movement to decide on A or B.

You can watch He Zhi Wen tactics and how he utilizes the angles.

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2013 at 11:24am
Depends on the strengths of the player's backhand and forehand.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic