Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H3 alternative

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H3 alternative
    Posted: 07/16/2013 at 7:42am
Is there any good inexpensive alternative similar to H3? Like maybe from 729/LKT or Yinhe/Galaxy? My issue with it is that the #19 is bit harder than I'd like and DHS QA is so inconsistent that half the sheets are either bricks or detach or some other issue. Provincial might be better but it's not really any softer, and at twice the price might as well take the chance with 2 commercial sheets

I like the rubber for FH, but DHS quality is really annoying.
Sponsored Links

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 9:03am
where are you buying these and are you boosting them?
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 9:14am
I'm in the US, and don't have a favored vendor. I generally don't boost because it's an unnecessary hassle for my game, which I suppose is part of the problem since H3 was meant to be softened up a bit.

Right now I've just kept using older sheets that came out soft from the DHS lottery, lol.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 9:26am
I doubt your sheets are legit. Ive been using the hurricane and skyline series for 10 years and never had a bad sheet. Sure you get the odd very good one but none are bad. On the other hand, yes many rubbers from other chinese brands are pretty much the same thing without the potential for fakes. #19 is terrible in my opinion, its far too soft for a chinese forehand rubber

Edited by bluebucket - 07/16/2013 at 9:29am
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 9:38am
They are legit. Fake h3 (or rubber in general) rarely bothers to keep exact same pip dimensions, esp. conic pips. I've had #19 sponge from soft to firm (the average) to brick. DHS Q&A is sort of notoriously bad, so I'm surprised you're fortunate (or tolerant :)) to always get good sheets.

Also, why hard sponge? I barely even bottom out 2.0 soft on FH.

Edited by AgentHEX - 07/16/2013 at 9:41am
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 9:42am
Wow if you think #19 is hard then maybe you should go another route? I use H3 Provincial and with 3 layers of booster it's at the hardness that I prefer..and that's still harder than #19. 

I can't really think of a H3 clone that is softer than #19..

The only thing I can really recommend is give Inspirit Quattro Ultralight a try. my training partner uses that and he has had good results up until his estimated 1700 rating. It's a lightly tacky and grippy softer rubber.
Paired really well with the Matrix blade that ColeTT sells.

Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 10:15am
Does anyone know what sponge is under this? http://ttnpp.com/shop/dhs-hurricane-3-iii-p-120.html, like quality experience, etc.

I might've been mistaken about #19 sponge, could've been #20, but frankly I've seen more variation within a type than between types with DHS.
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 11:13am
Everything should be #20 unless stated otherwise. There are some places where you can order #20 with a specific hardness but I can't remember more. I always just order regular #20 at 40 deg then apply booster until it's the softness that I prefer.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 12:03pm
Ok thanks. Do you notice that sponge is permanently or temp soften from booster? Which do you use?

BTW, I've used UL before on BH and it's not bad. Not quite Sriver-ish replacement once surface tack wears off a bit but decent for price. Nice and soft in SV 35. Only "ultralight" compared with heavy chinese rubber though, lol. I've been using the popular Galaxy moon for BH, and I really wish it's available in 2.0 or even 1.8. It's moderate weight and I prefer lighter combo.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 1:48pm
if you dont want to boost  jsut keep using the rubber it wil soften up after few weeks of playing..

the one linked http://ttnpp.com/shop/dhs-hurricane-3-iii-p-120.html probably has the newer sponge unless thast jsut for neo.

depends what booster you get and how much you put.. i had my tg3 with seamoon bosted once played for a two months boosted again and after that permasoft
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2013 at 9:29pm
I use tg3 unboosted on 39 degree sponge. I've used all the DHS tacky rubbers for at least one year and that one is best for me
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2013 at 3:11am
You are buying ones without picking hardness which is your problem.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2013 at 1:27am
Where do get ones with hardness? I see this on the ttnpp site, but 39 and 40 are only 1deg apart which I dunno if even noticeable:

http://ttnpp.com/shop/neo-dhs-hurricane-3-domestic-version-provided-hardness-labeling-p-277:b801089b1b3bb82a52257df84fcec205.html

Anyone tried the h3 from there? Is neo worth paying more?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic