Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Review: Victas koji matsushita. Mixed/Def game.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: Victas koji matsushita. Mixed/Def game.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 4:55am
do you think I could use a vkm with modern tensors both sides as an allround+ set up to get more control??
Sponsored Links

force2brw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote force2brw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 7:26am
I don't see why not. But if you read an earlier reply, it might only change your actual game by about 5%. The rest is up to you. I don't use tensor rubbers, so my thoughts might be off, but don't you use tensor rubbers for more speed? This paddle is slow, so it might defeat the whole purpose of using the tensor rubber in the first place. Don't tensor give you the speed by sacrificing some control? This paddle might give you a little control back, but at the expense of speed, which might take you right back to where you were in the first place. Again, I have not used tensor rubber very extensively.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2016 at 11:45pm
How about the handle style? I mean, I have just received my VKM, ST handle, 90 grams. However, the handle looks really very short, and it is only about 95 mm long, or even less, depending how you measure it. 
Is this normal for the Victas Koji Matsushita Defensive ST? I compared it with a straight handle from a TBS, the TBS handle feels nicer. Please share impressions about how the VKM - (short?) ST plays.

Edited by JacekGM - 09/05/2016 at 11:46pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2016 at 12:14am
The handle is very very small on the Victas Koji Matsushita Defensive ST. Why not try the VKS?
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
force2brw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote force2brw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2016 at 9:53am
Unfortunately I don't have the STraight handle. I have the FLared handle. I have found that ST handles tend to feel like they are always about to slip out of your hand when your hand is sweaty. I do not get the same feeling with FL handles. So this sometimes has lead to me not swinging at full force using ST handles, feeling like it might fly out of my hand.

Even if it never flew out of my hand, the fact that I'm thinking about the handle means I'm not 100% focused on playing the game. From what I gather, however, it's mostly just a preference thing, and is unlikely to affect your game by more than like 1%.

Having said all that, I haven't had to think about the FL handle on my VKM Def. blade. It might be shorter than my other main blade (Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk), but if it is, it's not a noticeable difference to me at least. The grip felt a little thinner to me, but did not effect my play. 

One thing you can try if you wish is to sand down the shoulders of the blade. What I mean by shoulders is the curved part of the blade that connects it to the handle. Some people prefer to sand off part of that shoulder so that they can comfortably grip higher up on the handle. As long as you don't sand off a crazy amount, I don't see why it would effect the performance of the paddle at all. 

I have heard some people also sanding just enough to round off the right angles around the edge of the blade at the shoulders to make it more comfortable to grip. 

My suggestion is to use the blade a good deal to try and adjust to it. If it is still bothering you, or making you constantly think about it after about 10 hours of solid play (3 or 4 full practices/tournaments/etc.), then you could try sanding the shoulders a bit so you can grip higher up.

I can only speak for myself, but the FL handle, while might be shorter than other blades I've used, has not adversely effected my game at all. I have not had experience sanding the shoulders of blades, so I cannot speak to how effective it is or if it changes the paddle characteristics at all.

Best of luck!
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2016 at 10:32am
FLared handle is fine on this blade. It is very comfortable and I didn't notice it was shorter at all. This blade is oversized, so sanding the "wings" could work. I bought mine, having a mind to sand it into the JO shape. The blade construct is identical to old Banda/Donic Waldner (Limba-Spruce-Ayous...) and it feels nearly identical. Haven't been able to bring myself to putting sandpaper to it just yet though. I prefer more traditional rubber on this style of blade (highly flexy/medium hardness) because they hold the ball longer, giving the blade more time to "snap". (Just my 2¢ )
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2016 at 10:06pm
Thanks guys, great points. 
The VKM blade is interesting, I will use it as soon as the FH rubber arrives.

Instead of sanding, first I am going to try some wrap/tape on the handle to make it look/feel a little more like an AN. That should also take away the slippage issue.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2016 at 11:24pm
Anyone has both VKM and VKMO to compare?  Assuming FH is Tenergy of some sort, say T05, and BH is a classic LP, i.e. P1R or FL2.
force2brw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote force2brw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2016 at 12:43pm
I do not know what they are called or where to find them, but I have also seen guys where I played use something that looks like a big rubber band. It covers the bottom part of the handle, and looks like just a really thick, fat rubber band (like you sometimes see on brocolli, but fatter). I tried it out and it really makes sure your grip doesn't slip. I have also seen guys use regular, thicker rubber bands wrapped a few times around the handle. It gives the same kind of support, but just looks weird. You can wrap more or less rubber bands in different locations on the handle to make it thicker or thinner as needed. You will eventually need to replace the rubber bands as they break, but that is super cheap and easy.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2016 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by force2brw force2brw wrote:

I do not know what they are called or where to find them, but I have also seen guys where I played use something that looks like a big rubber band. It covers the bottom part of the handle, and looks like just a really thick, fat rubber band (like you sometimes see on brocolli, but fatter). I tried it out and it really makes sure your grip doesn't slip. I have also seen guys use regular, thicker rubber bands wrapped a few times around the handle. It gives the same kind of support, but just looks weird. You can wrap more or less rubber bands in different locations on the handle to make it thicker or thinner as needed. You will eventually need to replace the rubber bands as they break, but that is super cheap and easy.
Right... I usually buy Nittaku grip tape, it costs a few bucks, is very comfortable, has a leather-like feel to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic