Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing against national team member

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2013 at 12:43am
I read somewhere that making to the NBA is as hard as becoming a surgeon.  But there is a big difference.  If you fail miserably at becoming a surgeon, you can still end up a nurse or something and should have no problem make a very decent living.
By the way, you do not need to be a pro.  There are many scholarships available for kids who are good as sport.  I know a kid who get to Ivy League schools on Tennis scholarship (by the way, he is good, but not world class or even national class).  I also had classmates/coaches who came to the US on a sport scholarship.  I believe you can study other majors instead of sport related ones (the Argentina girl in my class majored in Hotel Management).
However, I have never heard of a scholarship for TT.  Maybe some of you reach people should start donating money to universities.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
Sponsored Links

ttplayer92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2013 at 12:54am
Im pretty sure Texas Wesleyan offers scholarships! 
Butterfly Viscaria
FH Globe 999 National
BH Xiom Vega Pro
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2013 at 10:41am
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

I read somewhere that making to the NBA is as hard as becoming a surgeon.  But there is a big difference.  If you fail miserably at becoming a surgeon, you can still end up a nurse or something and should have no problem make a very decent living.
By the way, you do not need to be a pro.  There are many scholarships available for kids who are good as sport.  I know a kid who get to Ivy League schools on Tennis scholarship (by the way, he is good, but not world class or even national class).

Ivy League schools are not allowed to offer any athletic scholarships (not even for basketball). Kids may have an advantage in admissions, but no one there gets money for sports.

In basketball, there are actually quite a few options to play professionally below the NBA; many college players continue in Europe for example. They probably won't get rich though.

As skip said, the USA may actually be the country (outside China) with the highest number of table tennis pros - but as coaches not players. As a coach you can indeed make a decent living, and not just while you're young.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2013 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by ttplayer92 ttplayer92 wrote:

Im pretty sure Texas Wesleyan offers scholarships! 

so does Lindenwood
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2013 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Ivy League schools are not allowed to offer any athletic scholarships (not even for basketball). Kids may have an advantage in admissions, but no one there gets money for sports.

That's strange.  It was about 6 yrs back, but I'm pretty sure he said he got accepted to Standford on a tennis scholarship.  Of course you don't get paid playing for your school team (this may change in a near future), but consider the tuition at these school, a full scholarship could easily be >100K, plus a prestige degree,  I would say the money spent on coaching and time on practicing are a very good investment. 
About Texas Wesleyan, no offend but I'm not sure if any smart and talented kids would want to go there!
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2013 at 10:45pm
Stanford is not Ivy League.  It is Pac 12.  Ivy League is Harvard, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Penn, Columbia, Princeton.

Stanford is an elite private university, academically superior to several of the Ivy League schools in most ratings, but unlike Ivy League it competes in college sports at the highest possible level, and if someone got a tennis scholarship there, he/she must be really really really good. 

From what I have seen of students who have come out of Texas Wesleyan, I would not send my kids there.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2013 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

By the way, you do not need to be a pro.  There are many scholarships available for kids who are good as sport.  I know a kid who get to Ivy League schools on Tennis scholarship (by the way, he is good, but not world class or even national class).  I also had classmates/coaches who came to the US on a sport scholarship.  I believe you can study other majors instead of sport related ones (the Argentina girl in my class majored in Hotel Management).
However, I have never heard of a scholarship for TT.  Maybe some of you reach people should start donating money to universities.

Usually becoming a surgeon is much more of a sure thing as long as one's willing to work hard.

Pro athlete in general is terrible career choice even for popular sports. Even if the player base is unionized (ie high min wages), the average career is short enough that most atheletes end up broke shortly after leaving the game. The problem with TT specifically in the US is that our highest level isn't that high so going pro (ie winning on the big stage) isn't really feasible.

In sum, better play sports as amateurs and enjoy it for what it is. Oh and stay in school.
BizLawProf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2013 at 1:39pm
I second AgentHex's sentiment.

Unless you're unbelievably good at one of the major sports, it's an incredibly poor career choice.  And maybe it's less than optimum even if you are that good.  The average lifespan of most pro sports careers in NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL is maybe 5 years.  Not many pros come out of such sports with all that much to tide them over for the rest of their careers because they typically can't handle a sudden influx of capital, like the proverbial lottery winner who's bankrupt a few years later.  Those sports often break down the bodies of the participants, so you're washed up by your mid-30s, maybe by your late 20s, perhaps partially disabled, and on the downside just when most are starting to reach the early end of their career prime.

On the other hand, table tennis, which they say actually strengthens the mind and does little to tear down the body (in fact makes it more fit), puts you in the presence of a much higher-achieving class of people (engineers, programmers, medical professionals, etc.).  Parents in the U.S. who support their kids' table tennis might never end up with a kid who makes a living at the sport, but that 2400 kid will likely be a very fine 2000+ TT athlete for the remainder of their lives, and all that exposure to high achievers can't hurt their career trajectory.  I'd rather have a kid who can win state TT championships for a $250 check and works as an electrical engineer than a kid who spends 5 years in the NFL and has to strap on a knee brace for the rest of his life.

Edited by BizLawProf - 08/14/2013 at 1:40pm
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 1:19am
Originally posted by ball_so_hard ball_so_hard wrote:

I'm 6'2 (and growing) and I just turned 15 Cry

And now North American Champion in cadet boys singles - congratulations!
ball_so_hard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ball_so_hard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 12:01pm
Won north american champs cadets 2nd year in a row! Shocked
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 12:16pm

I bet you can't do it 3 times in a row Tongue
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 12:17pm
Clap
we followed your success yesterday and frontosa told us about the fact you had won even before your last match.
totally awesome!!!
I hope we get videos soon.
congrats againThumbs Up
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Then he'll just have to win the junior boys title 3 times in a row, no problem Wink
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 4:56pm

Congrats...I'll continue to follow your career. Gotta always outwork your opponents and let your athleticsm take over and you'll be fine.
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Then he'll just have to win the junior boys title 3 times in a row, no problem Wink

No man... thats too easy
Lets increase it to 4? LOL
chunyenliu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunyenliu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 8:57pm
Someone mentioned Lindenwood University offers table tennis scholarships. 

From what I heard, Lindenwood University lost their head coaches in Randy and Kelly Kendle this May.   Their table tennis program's future looks iffy at the moment.
My free Android app: "Table Tennis Time" at Google
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Stanford is not Ivy League.  It is Pac 12.  Ivy League is Harvard, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Penn, Columbia, Princeton.

Stanford is an elite private university, academically superior to several of the Ivy League schools in most ratings, but unlike Ivy League it competes in college sports at the highest possible level, and if someone got a tennis scholarship there, he/she must be really really really good. 

From what I have seen of students who have come out of Texas Wesleyan, I would not send my kids there.

That part of Forth Worth is the middle of a dilapidated slum-ville worthy of South Central LA crack house renoun.

Texas Wesleyen is the only clean and organized plae in that neighborhood within 5 KM...
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
ball_so_hard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ball_so_hard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2013 at 11:08am
Thank you for the support guys!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic