Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does your rubber age this way?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gnome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does your rubber age this way?
    Posted: 10/13/2013 at 1:42am
After my tenergy turns about 8 months old it starts to age on the outer rim, then moves inwards.
So when I run my finger across the outer edge of the rubber, it feels slippery.  But the centre and sweetspot still has decent grip.

I am wondering if it is common for rubber to age this way, or if others have had this experience.
Sponsored Links

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2013 at 2:06am
My T05 & T25 chip around the edges.  When it gets bad I move the Tenergy to a smaller blade like my 2 Samsonov Alphas.  I don't think any blade has a smaller surface area than the Samsonov Alphas.
The current T05 on one of my Samsonov Alphas is 2 years old.

At this time I have one Samsonov Alpha with an old T05 2.1mm and 1.5 802.  A good inverted rubber with 1.5mm 802 on my BH is what I call my 'Ball Whacker'.  I usually compete with LP 0X but I think my true nature is whacking balls low and flat over the net and looping with my FH.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2013 at 9:11pm
I'd say that's plenty acceptable after 8 months of use. 
gnome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 12:54am
Thanks for the feedback guys.

What puzzles me is that I would expect the sweet spot to wear out quicker than the edges of the rubber since this is where the ball is hit most.  The sweet spot looks more worn, but the frame of the rubber is slippery, and unplayable.  Maybe when I clean my racket I am just shifting dust to the edges.  Will experiment with my next sheets..

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 12:57am
Dude give that sheet to someone at your club who uses antispin.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 7:16am
Originally posted by gnome gnome wrote:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

What puzzles me is that I would expect the sweet spot to wear out quicker than the edges of the rubber since this is where the ball is hit most.  The sweet spot looks more worn, but the frame of the rubber is slippery, and unplayable.  Maybe when I clean my racket I am just shifting dust to the edges.  Will experiment with my next sheets..

Another possiblity is that your sweat spot is all over the place?
Jokes LOL

I would imagine the problem is on racket care. So yeah, see if your next sheet won't have the same problem.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 12:29pm
I use edge tape, clean the rubbers after play and put the blade into a large zip-loc bag. My Tenergy is about 18 months old and still grippy.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 12:49pm
My rubber has the same problem. The area at the tip of the blade (the opposite end of the handle) is worn out and smooth. Probably I hit with that area much more because it has the most torque? or maybe it is due to improper care of the blade, as pointed out by jt99sf.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I use edge tape, clean the rubbers after play and put the blade into a large zip-loc bag. My Tenergy is about 18 months old and still grippy.

Spin the ball harder ;).
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 3:05pm
I wish when someone states the number of months they have used the rubber, one would qualify the statement by stating how many days one plays in a week and how many hours each time. In other words, how many hours each week. Also the style of play dictates the duration of the rubber. I would think a heavy looper who brushes a lot more will demand a better condition of the rubber. A blocker and smasher can tolerate a worn out rubber. One can practice a worn out rubber for a longer time but it is different in game situation when one wants to brush the ball thinly.
Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Loop40mm Loop40mm wrote:

I wish when someone states the number of months they have used the rubber, one would qualify the statement by stating how many days one plays in a week and how many hours each time. In other words, how many hours each week. Also the style of play dictates the duration of the rubber. I would think a heavy looper who brushes a lot more will demand a better condition of the rubber. A blocker and smasher can tolerate a worn out rubber. One can practice a worn out rubber for a longer time but it is different in game situation when one wants to brush the ball thinly.

Also need to state playing level, type of ball used, brand of table and of course how many feet above sea level.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 5:34am
Try rubbing some oil in to the topsheet, olive/cooking oil will do, it will revive the grip because the rubber dries out over time and loses some suppleness. put a small amount on a cloth and rub in with a small cyclic motion. After a minute or two all the oil will have been absorbed and the rubber will feel grippy again.
 Also, its a very good reason not to use chemical cleaners, they strip the natural oils out of the rubber, all you really need is a damp cloth to remove surface dust. Playing in a dusty hall also shortens the life of your rubbers, because the constantly having to wipe the dust off, scratches the surface. For this reason, If your bat is very dusty, its a good idea to run it briefly under a tap to wash away particles before wiping. Rubbers like Tenergy are so expensive, but you can get more out of them if you follow my those tips.

Oh I forgot, re-affix the rubber at least every month, so that the sponge has chance to reset on the blade.
The Older I get, The better I was.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Try rubbing some oil in to the topsheet, olive/cooking oil will do, it will revive the grip because the rubber dries out over time and loses some suppleness. put a small amount on a cloth and rub in with a small cyclic motion. After a minute or two all the oil will have been absorbed and the rubber will feel grippy again.
 Also, its a very good reason not to use chemical cleaners, they strip the natural oils out of the rubber, all you really need is a damp cloth to remove surface dust. Playing in a dusty hall also shortens the life of your rubbers, because the constantly having to wipe the dust off, scratches the surface. For this reason, If your bat is very dusty, its a good idea to run it briefly under a tap to wash away particles before wiping. Rubbers like Tenergy are so expensive, but you can get more out of them if you follow my those tips.

Oh I forgot, re-affix the rubber at least every month, so that the sponge has chance to reset on the blade.

+1.  I use the "printer rubber roller cleaner" from Office Depot, it restores the surface.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic