tabletennis11.com

TIMING GONE Mid-Match!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 5:50pm
By profession, I'm a solution-focused therapist. The theory, in short . . . do more of what works and less of what doesn't work. Whatever I did last night did NOT work, and i will NEVER do that again. Of course I will lose matches and lose focus, but . . . no more safely bumping the ball around hoping the opponent makes a mistake. YIKES, it was a painful match. 

Great responses guys and gals . . . many options that could help regain focus/timing/game plan. 

What else do you guys/gals do when you lose it? Time out! Focus on footwork! Focus on the ball sinking in and spin! 

Edited by tommyzai - 02/13/2014 at 5:53pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 6:19pm
One of the things that might work against me is the fact that I hit with topspin, but don't loop. There isn't much of feeling the ball. It's all about getting into position and choosing the right millisecond to strike the ball. If my timing is off, I'm in the net or off the table.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 7:37pm
One other suggestion.  I assume you were still aiming for the corners or deep, where you normally would place a FH.  If you really can't hit the table, everything is going long or in the net, try aiming at the exact middle of your opponent's side instead.  That helps me sometimes, partly just to feel like I can at least get the ball back, and also because if I am that off my shots never hit the center that I am aiming for, so they can be decent shots by accident.  

Aiming at the center gives me a way to start correcting my placement without feeling like I am losing too many points too fast before I get things back together.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

. . . Aiming at the center gives me a way to start correcting my placement without feeling like I am losing too many points too fast before I get things back together.

Good suggestion, it's very similar to my Dad's suggestion for struggling batters in baseball. He recommended hitting right back at the pitcher (where the ball came from) when you are in a slump.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 12:08am
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

HELP NEEDED!!

Tonight I was playing a player about 300 points lower
Whatever I did certainly didn't work.

I am not going into any issues why you had that problem.  Instead, how to fix it during the match.  The first thing you can do is to take a timeout.  Even it is a practice match, you can just take a timeout.  Second, you need to pay attention to your footwork.  Bad footwork can lead to bad contacts on the balls.  

Third, it's easier to get the timing back with spin than anything else, so make sure you make the ball sink into your rubber more when you loop.  That's it. Good luck!

Speedy's advice is spot on, I just have to repeat this...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 2:42pm
Thank you all! I can't wait to play my next match and try the suggestions. 
ttEDGE - William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2014 at 12:42am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

William Henzell on TTedge just did a three-part video on this.  They aren't free, but at $15AUD/month, I think his site is effectively free considering the high standard of his videos.  I'm just a subscriber, not a paid ad, just want to give credit for where I got this, since I haven't seen/read it anywhere else.

Henzell says serious TT players need to train concentration by doing meditation-type drills.  Accept that your attention will wander during a point/game/match (because getting angry at yourself is more damaging than the original concentration lapse), and practice directing your attention back to the game.  He gives some specific exercises to develop this skill.

Pleased to hear you enjoyed the video BRS. One last one to come in that mental training series where there will a few more methods for training up those skills. This is definitely one of the areas that differentiates top players from the rest.
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2014 at 1:39am
what i do when i start to lose focus... during game with my friend i often get side track like for example when i cant return his serve with my banana flick i just keep trying it again and again
more often then not it didn't go well cus he change it up alot.....

so what i did is i tell myself okay im getting too sidetracked with flicking his serve but then when tried to push, my push aren't working either because i wasn't ready mentally i started getting passive and im not playing my own game.

so what i do is i have a little trick to fix my slump during the game now this only work for me
so it might not work for you
during the next point whether its his serve or my serve, i made up my mind that im gona kill whatever thats coming at me with my forehand and i dont care if it miss or if it gets me a point
all i know is that im gona unleash all my pent up frustration on that ball( some times that gets me a point :D) and then what do you know i start playing better again, even though i got my focus back i still lose to him a majority of the time, but some time im able to win because of it

i think that what kill a players focus is anger and frustration blaming yourself isn't going to help you win. so you need a way to calm your self but more often then not players tell themselves to calm down and they end up holding it in and that makes it worse
butterfly Timo Boll spirit

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2014 at 4:39pm
Boaspirit, usually players let out their anger and frustration on the final shot of a lost match, but this might be worth trying mid-match. Why not? 
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2014 at 8:29pm
It happened again in today's matches . . . hitting easy kill shots into the net. Tuco noticed I was hitting late . . . maybe my arm was tired. 
strongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2014 at 8:01pm
I am enjoying this topic and can relate!

So I thought I would compile some of my notes that I make after matches and training as bit of a summary of experiences.

Table tennis is such a fast and dynamic game. There is so much going on………..your mind must be clear or you will miss it!

If you are nervous – your mind is full of worry.

If you are angry – your mind is full of self criticisms or judgements of the situation.

If you are pumped up – your mind is full of shouting.

If you are correcting yourself – your mind is full of technique.

To play well, your automatic response mechanisms must be optimised. This requires a clear mind. A clear mind keeps your body calm (lower heart rate and blood pressure) and muscle tension to a minimum. This allows your body to do what you have trained it to do (muscle memory and subconscious processes).

To read the play and time the ball well the brain needs the maximum amount of input it can get during a rally. To do this you need unwavering focus on the ball and a clear mind so that the data input (ball speed, spin, and trajectory, the position of the opponent, etc) gets through to the brain.

I have experienced this loss of timing when in front in a match. What’s changed? I feel fine – calm and relaxed, no nerves, no analysing. It is the focus on the ball that has dropped in intensity. Errors start happening, corrections and criticisms enter the mind. More errors, and doubt and worry enter the mind as well. A downward spiral starts to occur. A lot of people stop this downward spiral with the aggressive option by shouting internally and sometimes externally as well – “come on” or “fight”. This shouting drowns out the other mental processes occurring and helps restore some focus – hence your game recovers somewhat. The penalty is – it feels unpleasant and is emotionally draining. This option is unsustainable for tournament play. Need to stay cool and recognise what is happening in the moment – this is the tricky part.

I find recognition of these process during match play is only learnt through experience. I know the theory and can tell what has happening retrospectively. Being able to have constant recognition of these process during match play is my learning curve at the moment. This is what I try to focus on between points and sets, plus the occasional bit of tactics.

I think also that having a coach or team-mate observing these processes during match would be of huge benefit. Difficult to do as the processes are mostly internal, unless you are constantly speaking your thoughts and wearing your heart on your sleeve.

What if in between sets, your coach/team mate simply asked – “how do you feel right now?”. 

strongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2014 at 8:03pm

. . . maybe my arm was tired. 

My previous post may or may not be relevant, maybe tommy's arm is tired  LOL
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2014 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

The guy found your weakness and then you were lucky you won it... rather, think what that weakness was...

x1
I played a player about the same rating. I won the 1st game 11-2 Wink. His coach gave him some pointers after that. I lose the next game 3-11 Embarrassed. Then, I mixed my shots to win the next 2 games.
it sounds like the guy gives you a very light underspin ball LOL
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2014 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

You are using Dragon Talon. You probably enjoy opponent's underspin. 
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2014 at 12:21pm

Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

You are using Dragon Talon. You probably enjoy opponent's underspin. 

I like topspin too. I told my coach how much Dragon Talon OX cost me once; he said it is insane to pay that much for a chinese LP OX LOLLOL

I really believe OP's opp gave him a very light underspin ball (it happened to my teammate once WinkWink). Can the OP give us his opp set up info LOLLOL
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic