FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Drills from a coaching session with my coach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Originally posted by ByeByeAbout ByeByeAbout wrote:

The Bad

Your "coach" reaching into the basket for a single ball...every time....too much wasted motion. 
You taking 1-3 steps to get a single ball to practice serve...and you do it time after time.   Thats the single biggest waste of time I have ever seen.   Either pick up 10-15 balls and put them all into your left pocket and serve each one....thereby negating the need to walk 20 steps...not to mention the rythm you get by serving in a consecutive uninterrupted fashion.  .....OR  move the silly basket close to your left hand so that you need only reach down a couple of inches to retrieve a ball.  I almost had a fkn heart attack watching you walk close to a mile to serve about 20 balls.   You and your "coach" manage to throw the whole idea of being ergomically smart out the window by wasting 10% of the session on wasted motion.

Your stance scores a 2/10.  Crouch about 3 inches to at least look like a table tennis player.

I didn't see you smile.   Don't post any more video unless you're smiling at least once.

Beside his coach's "reaching single ball" method (my coach gets 3~4 balls in hand), his coach drops the ball on the table before he hits as well. My coach just hits the balls right away. Don't know does it matter?Embarrassed
It is better to bounce and hit it - as it simulates the real game situation where the ball bounces on the table and then the player hits it. 
But if you want to do rapid fire drills like Zhang Ji Ke and Xu Xin - you probably have to go directly to racquet.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Sponsored Links

CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 3:37am
@ PB - Your FH shots are landing well in the table when you connect....

Personally, I think you should try to increase your backswing to generate
more power.

The follow through will take care of itself when the ball comes back. ...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2014 at 7:31am
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

@ PB - Your FH shots are landing well in the table when you connect....

Personally, I think you should try to increase your backswing to generate
more power.

The follow through will take care of itself when the ball comes back. ...

In training, I go for higher percantage rather than harder hits. I do swing more in a game situation but I want to miss as few as possible in training.
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 5:33am
Huh.... Another internet geek claim to be an expert. I would say Sub-level criticized and tried to teach 2200+, specially unorthodox style. What do you know about this Push-Blocker style? It is very easy to say "YOUR STROKES are flaw! They don't look like China Man from video I watched." Really BS.

Edited by aroonkl - 04/10/2014 at 5:34am
ByeByeAbout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 10:06am
Originally posted by aroonkl aroonkl wrote:

Huh.... Another internet geek claim to be an expert. I would say Sub-level criticized and tried to teach 2200+, specially unorthodox style. What do you know about this Push-Blocker style? It is very easy to say "YOUR STROKES are flaw! They don't look like China Man from video I watched." Really BS.

hi aroon

i couldn't agree more.  fortunately for all of us, that besides myself, there are also a few others who play and coach at an expert level.   some of these advanced topics might be seen as "geeky" by less evolved players but if you read through each post carefully and then spend some time contemplating the substance i believe that the benefits will far out weigh the perceived "bs"   

i don't know if it's "very easy" to say "your strokes are flawed". 
Personally, as an expert coach and player I struggle with this every day for fear of offending anyone.

lastly, as an unsolicited parenthetical observation it would behoove you to refer to *them* as "asian" or "chinese" as opposed to "china man" for any future posts.   Tact is important, for without feelings of mutual respect what is there to differentiate us from the level of the beast?

regards
rick

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/10/2014 at 10:14am
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 12:15pm

hi aroon

i couldn't agree more.  fortunately for all of us, that besides myself, there are also a few others who play and coach at an expert level.   some of these advanced topics might be seen as "geeky" by less evolved players but if you read through each post carefully and then spend some time contemplating the substance i believe that the benefits will far out weigh the perceived "bs"   

Personally, as an expert coach and player I struggle with this every day for fear of offending anyone.

lastly, as an unsolicited parenthetical observation it would behoove you to refer to *them* as "asian" or "chinese" as opposed to "china man" for any future posts.   Tact is important, for without feelings of mutual respect what is there to differentiate us from the level of the beast?

regards
rick

I thought I read it all, but no… you had to come up with that gem. How can anyone post like you and think of themselves as tactful and filled with mutual respect, is beyond me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Lestat Lestat wrote:

hi aroon

regards
rick

I thought I read it all, but no… you had to come up with that gem. How can anyone post like you and think of themselves as tactful and filled with mutual respect, is beyond me.

hi les

one of my favorite chinese phrases that i use daily when im in vancouver is "jap jone jing son"...which means "pay attention"... so if you have been paying attention you will have noticed that i speak to people the way they need to be spoken to..no more no less.

no one who has an ounce of security or a modicum of intelligence gets offended by anything i say because they understand the context or genre in which i speak or write. 

it's so easy to say that someone is without respect without actually ever providing a shred of evidence to back it up...you ought to cogitate on that a while.

and fwiw...i am immersed heavily in4 cultures.... wasps, east indians, chinese and filipino's...and who would guess that the only people who want to take umbrage with a bit of jockularity and straight talk would be the proud white man....

you want to have a meaningful conversation with me son, you had better have a slice of humble pie before we begin Wink

regards
rick

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/10/2014 at 2:21pm
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 2:33pm
Just because I call you delusional, it doesn't mean I want to engage you.

If I stop to kick every dog that barks, I'd never get anywhere.
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 2:34pm
Her we go another another BS.
What level of your expert coach and player? LOL

==I struggle with this every day for fear of offending anyone.==
You posted and criticized the coach here as not good with lots of flaw compared to
CNT coach. I would say another 3-500 coaches not good either when you use that scale to weight.
But I really like to see your level of coaching? Could u prove something valid instead of just claiming what skill u have?  

regards
rick
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 2:55pm
Oh, well, it's going to take an AgentHex level incident before anything happens. I would recommend people stop feeding the trolls before it goes too far.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Lestat Lestat wrote:

Just because I call you delusional, it doesn't mean I want to engage you.

If I stop to kick every dog that barks, I'd never get anywhere.

newsflash for the uninformed.   calling anyone delusional is engagement.

you can't have it both ways.   my professional recommendation is that if you don't want any engagement then you refrain from commenting.

regards
rick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 3:18pm

Her we go another another BS.
What level of your expert coach and player? LOL

==I struggle with this every day for fear of offending anyone.==
You posted and criticized the coach here as not good with lots of flaw compared to
CNT coach. I would say another 3-500 coaches not good either when you use that scale to weight.
But I really like to see your level of coaching? Could u prove something valid instead of just claiming what skill u have?  

regards
rick

expert but i don't think i need to "prove" anything that was proven long ago.

thanks

regards
rick

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/10/2014 at 3:36pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Oh, well, it's going to take an AgentHex level incident before anything happens. I would recommend people stop feeding the trolls before it goes too far.

nl

i think we're just having a conversation here.     feel free to contribute but please keep it constructive.

are you aware of the fact that some might view *your* post as "trolling"?  using a pejorative term as an ad hominem attack...

food for thought

regards
rick

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/10/2014 at 3:34pm
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 3:52pm
http://www.worldsbestathlete.net/interview/

Now I  see the picture. What a Joke!
Really Hallucinate and living in fantasy.
The event founded by himself and he owns the title "World Best All-round Athlete Title"

"The Worlds Best Athlete International Skills Competition was founded by Rick Anderson and his son Christian-Tyler Anderson"

Gotta claw out from your play box, kid. 

Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

this looks like current season stats for rick

https://www.tabletennis365.com/northumbria/Results/Player/Statistics/Northumbria_Winter_2013-14/Richard_Anderson/58636

interview with rick, the best athlete ever born

Edited by aroonkl - 04/10/2014 at 3:56pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 4:20pm

The event founded by himself and he owns the title "World Best All-round Athlete Title"

"The Worlds Best Athlete International Skills Competition was founded by Rick Anderson and his son Christian-Tyler Anderson"

https://www.tabletennis365.com/northumbria/Results/Player/Statistics/Northumbria_Winter_2013-14/Richard_Anderson/58636

hi aroon

thanks for the links...my current level is 2150-2175...as i gained 900 pts in the last yr...just so we're clear.  (i have four words for you:  "serve and serve return")

as for the Skills Comp...it's off topic so if you have any questions about it..you can ask me in the off topic folder or pm..

in brief though, yes the skills competition was created to determine the worlds best all around athlete.    competitors are tested at:

1) basketball foul shots
2) basketball 3 pointers
3) hitting a baseball for distance
4) baseball accuracy throwing
5) hockey shoot out
6) field goal kick for distance
7) tennis accuracy drill
8) soccer shoot out accuracy drill
9) golf accuracy drill
10) speed jump rope drill.

it's the most well rounded multi sports skills competition ever created and has the unnasailable premise that the winner can lay claim to being the worlds all around best athlete.

the nay sayers to this type of skills competition has always come from non athletes...or athletes that excel in only one or two sports.   it is a very humbling competition for a lot of extraordinary athletes...the most common theme we experience is that of an extraordinary basketball player coming out and kicking butt in the two b-ball events but then getting their a$$ handed to them on the other events... or a semi pro soccer player who makes everyone else look like a 6 yr old during the soccer shoot out but who then demonstrates no ability whatsoever in any of the other 9 events.....and it's a decathlon style point system so you have to do well at *all* the sports if you wan't to have a chance at the money.

after over 400 participants to date i have yet to be out-scored over the course of 10 events...so yes, i remain the worlds best all around athlete...for now anyway.

i would love to have included table tennis as part of the competition but myself and the organizing committee could not come up with an objective way to measure table tennis skills.   also...the entire competition has to be able to be done outdoors and be able to be reproduced anywhere in the world....table tennis only met one of the criteria...that of popularity but failed on the other two criteria...so we had to exclude it.

regards
rick

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/10/2014 at 4:36pm
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 5:18pm
After viewing his website, I'm starting to believe Rick is a comedian and we're participating in his show right now LOL Look at this:

Marshall: Were you deprived as a child, of oxygen perhaps?

Anderson: Nice ad hominem

*Followed by lengthy religious discussion:

Marshall: What do you think Heaven is like?

Anderson: At a social gathering in Heaven, you can chat with your grand-mother, with her being a little girl of six and you twenty-five or thirty, or whatever you and she want. At any moment, Our Lady can be a Madonna, with Jesus a baby on her knee, 

Millions of babies, slain in abortion, will in Heaven speak love with their mothers standing as fully grown men and women, by virtue of the presumed baptism of the innocent under the all-saving will of God. If you have had your appendix out, you can now have it back - if you want.

Marshall: It sounds like apocalyptic hallucination.

Anderson: Negative. It is elementary extrapolation by analogy from the nature of being that we see around us every day in this world. In Heaven, you can see your friend Bill with or without the shaving scratch he got in 1980 ......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

After viewing his website, I'm starting to believe Rick is a comedian and we're participating in his show right now LOL Look at this:

Marshall: Were you deprived as a child, of oxygen perhaps?

Anderson: Nice ad hominem

*Followed by lengthy religious discussion:

Marshall: What do you think Heaven is like?

Anderson: At a social gathering in Heaven, you can chat with your grand-mother, with her being a little girl of six and you twenty-five or thirty, or whatever you and she want. At any moment, Our Lady can be a Madonna, with Jesus a baby on her knee, 

Millions of babies, slain in abortion, will in Heaven speak love with their mothers standing as fully grown men and women, by virtue of the presumed baptism of the innocent under the all-saving will of God. If you have had your appendix out, you can now have it back - if you want.

Marshall: It sounds like apocalyptic hallucination.

Anderson: Negative. It is elementary extrapolation by analogy from the nature of being that we see around us every day in this world. In Heaven, you can see your friend Bill with or without the shaving scratch he got in 1980 ......

hi zinga

my first paying job was that of a street performing comedic/magician outside the eaton centre in downtown toronto...typically, saturday afternoons...followed by the very posh yorkville at night to perform to the club scene..i didn't make much but the $75 that i did make seemed like all the money in the world at the time for a 17 yr old living on his own.....i did street and kids shows for yrs and settled on close-up...i am a good/very good card mechanic....so maybe you're not far off the mark...

funny enough....your theological cut and paste is not part of the 'routine' per se...which is not to say that some won't find it funny....

thanks for your thoughts

regards
rick

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/10/2014 at 5:50pm
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 8:40pm
Mods please keep Byebye in the never ending story thread only Embarrassed
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 11:50pm
Heh Mate,
You don't have to explain me layout of your Fantasy Day Dream. No one will bother to understand it.
Same as we don't try to understand some people in special places. The ones who talk to  and understand only themselves.  

Top athletes earn lots of money from sport they play. Even just showing their faces. Jordan wont bother to play tennis to compete with you. Or jumping rope challenging. ( LOL Who the F... put this in best world athlete title.  Sorry Mod, I could not help it.) 
His time worth money. Your time is .........
But if he wanted, you would be bumped from the cliff.  

Dude, wake up! These great words are for you.
FEET ON THE GROUND, EYES ON THE STARS
Theodore Roosevelt

hi aroon

thanks for the links...my current level is 2150-2175...as i gained 900 pts in the last yr...just so we're clear.  (i have four words for you:  "serve and serve return")

as for the Skills Comp...it's off topic so if you have any questions about it..you can ask me in the off topic folder or pm..

in brief though, yes the skills competition was created to determine the worlds best all around athlete.    competitors are tested at:

1) basketball foul shots
2) basketball 3 pointers
5) hockey shoot out
7) tennis accuracy drill
9) golf accuracy drill

it's the most well rounded multi sports skills competition ever created and has the unnasailable premise that the winner can lay claim to being the worlds all around best athlete.

the nay sayers to this type of skills competition has always come from non athletes...or athletes that excel in only one or two sports.   it is a very humbling competition for a lot of extraordinary athletes...the most common theme we experience is that of an extraordinary basketball player coming out and kicking butt in the two b-ball events but then getting their a$$ handed to them on the other events... or a semi pro soccer player who makes everyone else look like a 6 yr old during the soccer shoot out but who then demonstrates no ability whatsoever in any of the other 9 events.....and it's a decathlon style point system so you have to do well at *all* the sports if you wan't to have a chance at the money.

after over 400 participants to date i have yet to be out-scored over the course of 10 events...so yes, i remain the worlds best all around athlete...for now anyway.

i would love to have included table tennis as part of the competition but myself and the organizing committee could not come up with an objective way to measure table tennis skills.   also...the entire competition has to be able to be done outdoors and be able to be reproduced anywhere in the world....table tennis only met one of the criteria...that of popularity but failed on the other two criteria...so we had to exclude it.

regards
rick

Edited by aroonkl - 04/10/2014 at 11:54pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 12:00am

Heh Mate,
You don't have to explain me layout of your Fantasy Day Dream. No one will bother to understand it.
Same as we don't try to understand some people in special places. The ones who talk to  and understand only themselves.  

Top athletes earn lots of money from sport they play. Even just showing their faces. Jordan wont bother to play tennis to compete with you. Or jumping rope challenging. ( LOL Who the F... put this in best world athlete title.  Sorry Mod, I could not help it.) 
His time worth money. Your time is .........
But if he wanted, you would be bumped from the cliff.  

Dude, wake up! These great words are for you.
FEET ON THE GROUND, EYES ON THE STARS
Theodore Roosevelt

hi aroon

1) basketball foul shots
2) basketball 3 pointers
5) hockey shoot out
7) tennis accuracy drill
9) golf accuracy drill

regards
rick

hi aroon

like i said, this competition is not for the feint of heart.  it's for true athletes who are not afraid to take on new challenges.  jordan is one of the best b-ball players to ever live for sure....and i suspect that he would do ok at the skills competition....he would probably have a difficult time with the hockey shoot out and tennis...  it would be fun to meet him though..  no doubt he is a tad more positive than you.   he once went 3-3 from the plate during a high school baseball game...all homers.... the first thing i would tell him if i were to ever meet him would be the time i went 6-6...all homers   (18 rbi) in a league game...  then i would show him some card tricks....it would be right about then that he would start to refer to me as "mr. anderson"....you know....just like the matrix.

im sure this all seems rather fantastical to you but i can assure you thats it's just another day in the life of a superstar....ClapClap

regards
rick

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/11/2014 at 12:52am
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 2:13am

Ok, I gave up. I tried my best but you didn't wake up. Let me know when you have invitation to White House dinner.

BTW. Are these really World Top 5 Athletes?

Edited by aroonkl - 04/11/2014 at 2:22am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 8:46am
this thread has been derailed long enough. another of set of arguments not related to the original post and i will close this thread! Angry
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 10:54am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

this thread has been derailed long enough. another of set of arguments not related to the original post and i will close this thread! Angry

nice training video pb...you're looking good.   excellent deep pushes.  i will be sure to bring my A Game if ever our paths should cross.

regards
rick
fourcourts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourcourts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 11:46am
Let me share a few comments since I've played practice matches against Oliver several times. Oliver, it's nice to see you getting coaching from Gary and trying new things. I do think attacking some will help you. However, I hope you're not trying to convert to a Robert S. or Shuja, or even a Wetzler type player. I think this will be a liability. Probably, plan your attack percentage before a match and obviously, the lower rated the player, the more frequent you can attack.

There was discussion about the FH follow through. I think it might look weird to some not because of the follow through itself but because you don't bend your legs enough. Obviously, if I'm your coach, I'm not gonna tell you to dig deep down like Ryu Seung Min. We have to have reasonable expectation here. I would just say bend your knees and go as low as you comfortably can. The arm itself is fine, going across your body and over your left shoulder.

I was pleased with twirling to the inverted side on the BH to attack. Nice! But I was surprised to see so many misses on the BH LP attack side (Dr. Neubauer style). I would focus more in this as much as the FH loop. The nice crisp BH LP slap that Bastian Steger kept missing in the training video. This is what you want.

I was also pleased with the serve and FH loop drills from Gary. This will be a nice change of pace against an opponent who has zeroed in on your LP blocking pattern. I did see one drill where you FH looped and Gary sent one fast to your LP BH and you blocked. I will say, if you're not doing it already, to add some where you do a FH counterhit off the bounce. Not everything has to be looped.

I look forward to seeing you apply what you're learning in a tournament.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by fourcourts fourcourts wrote:

Let me share a few comments since I've played practice matches against Oliver several times. Oliver, it's nice to see you getting coaching from Gary and trying new things. I do think attacking some will help you. However, I hope you're not trying to convert to a Robert S. or Shuja, or even a Wetzler type player. I think this will be a liability. Probably, plan your attack percentage before a match and obviously, the lower rated the player, the more frequent you can attack.

There was discussion about the FH follow through. I think it might look weird to some not because of the follow through itself but because you don't bend your legs enough. Obviously, if I'm your coach, I'm not gonna tell you to dig deep down like Ryu Seung Min. We have to have reasonable expectation here. I would just say bend your knees and go as low as you comfortably can. The arm itself is fine, going across your body and over your left shoulder.

I was pleased with twirling to the inverted side on the BH to attack. Nice! But I was surprised to see so many misses on the BH LP attack side (Dr. Neubauer style). I would focus more in this as much as the FH loop. The nice crisp BH LP slap that Bastian Steger kept missing in the training video. This is what you want.

I was also pleased with the serve and FH loop drills from Gary. This will be a nice change of pace against an opponent who has zeroed in on your LP blocking pattern. I did see one drill where you FH looped and Gary sent one fast to your LP BH and you blocked. I will say, if you're not doing it already, to add some where you do a FH counterhit off the bounce. Not everything has to be looped.

I look forward to seeing you apply what you're learning in a tournament.

x2
My coach has this pattern for me as well (one FH drive, one FH killer loop, block at BH LP). If you watch Fukuoka Haruna's video, you will find that FH with PB style is an all out attack like RYU too.

I cannot image Oliver FH attacking at his BH corner. If I were Oliver, I would attack only the opp does not attack at all. For all critics, please watch Oliver's video, his style does not need to worry his FH swing LOLLOL

Edited by Egghead - 04/11/2014 at 2:37pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 1:19am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

So, my coach told me to reach for the ball with the left hand before attacking in order for me to achieve enough shoulder rotation so that I have better power and will miss less..
And here, I have taken my MYTT nugget for the quarter.  It makes sense now that this is possibly what Ma Long is doing with his left arm all the time.
Yes! Thanks for sharing, PB.

My concern will be to keep my centre of gravity stable and not transfer all my weight onto my forehand side. Any thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic