Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - XVT Hinoki-Balsa Carbon,  ZL Hinoki vs Koto Review
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XVT Hinoki-Balsa Carbon, ZL Hinoki vs Koto Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XVT Hinoki-Balsa Carbon, ZL Hinoki vs Koto Review
    Posted: 10/13/2014 at 8:26am

Balsa-Hinoki Carbon
Thickness: 8mm
Plies: 5 (Hinoki-carbon-balsa-carbon-hinoki)
Weight: 85 grams (approx.)
Speed: OFF+
Hardness: Stiff
Blade Head Size: 151x157mm

The Hinoki-balsa carbon (let's call it HBC) is one of the 5 blades I have received from XVT. This new company is making blades or the more affordable ones that are identical in composition of some known and popular blades in the market. Upon opening the package the HBC looks very promising and has high quality on its finish and make. I could say the finishing touches for the blade is better than Yinhe/Galaxy blades. The blade is reminiscent of the Yinhe T-11 at first and some TSP Balsa carbon blade that I forgot the name.

Short game

The Hinoki Balsa Carbon is a bit bouncy inside the table. I had to adjust a bit on the blade's bounciness even with the fact that I was using globe 999 national tuned on my forehand and a joola rhyzm-p on the backhand as test rubbers. I had to adjust my strokes and loosen my grip to control my flicks and especially the drop shots during matches. The blade isn't that noisy when hitting with a tensor rubber. The good thing is I do not feel any vibrations on every impact of the ball. Not too stiff but still has this good feeling.

Attacking

This is purely an offensive weapon. this is good with a chinese rubebr up to middle distance and at far distance from the table with a tensor rubber, the trajectory is very long. At middle distance while looping or countering, sometimes my trajectory. As for the speed, it is off+. I consider it faster than both T-11 and T-10 blades. It is not in the speed level of Sardius or Amultart or any other blazingly fast blades but it is very fast. The TSp carbon blades with the same thickness and make up are still a few notches faster also. I would put the speed maybe on the level of Gergely or Primorac Carbon blades.

Blocking

The HBC is better as a passive blocking blade. The speed is good enough that you don't need to punch block in order to have a faster return. I needed to adjust more on controlling the blade when blocking actively.

Overall a very good blade. When you want a faster attacking blade that is also lightweight at the same time then this is the blade for you. Also, only a mid-range price blade so it is very affordable.

ZL Hinoki

Weight: 90 grams
Thickness: 6.9mm (approx.)
Blade Head size: 152x157 mm (approx.)
Plies: 7 (Hinoki- ayous??? - zl carbon - kiri - zl carbon - ayous??? - Hinoki)
Speed: off

ZL Koto

Thickness: 5.9mm
Weight: 85 grams (approx.)
Head size: 150x152mm (Approx.)
Plies: 7 (koto-ayous???-zl carbon-kiri-zl carbon-ayous???-koto)
Speed: OFF+

I choose to have a side by side comparison on the ZL Hinoki and ZL Koto. Both of which have a similarities and at the same time stating the differences will help players choose their blades. I would rather review them as they are rather than compare to their known twins from butterfly. Also for the fact that I only had a few hits with the ZJK blades.

Both the ZL-H(Zl Hinoki) and ZL-K(ZL Koto) have this above average quality compared to other Chinese made brand blades. I would say the HBC has a better finish than these 2 blades but these 2 blades have good quality nevertheless.

The ZL-K comes in a ST handle and the ZL-H comes in a flared handle. The handle of both blades seems bigger than master flared stiga handle. The straight handle of the ZL-K feels good for large hands and the ZL-H's flared handle is a wide flared handle. Both of which are very comfortable for my large hand. I think players with smaller hands need adjustment on the blade.

I have used yet again my trusted globe 999 national blue sponge with the new joola rhyzm-p max on the forehand and backhand respectively on both blades. the Zl-K has a different shape among the 5 XVT blades that I have received. Remember those old donice and nittaku waldner baldes that have this egg-shaped blade head, that is the shape. The wing part near the neck seems large and it needs a bit sanding. The ZL-H's wing part is ok and average in size so it doesn't hinder the part between my index finger  and thumb. The ZL-H also has a bigger head size than the ZL-K.

On a ball bounce test, the ZL-K has a higher bounce compared to that of the ZL-H's. When glued with rubbers the ZL-K is significantly faster than the ZL-H. A student of mine who also has tried the
both blades says that the ZL-H feels more woody and the speed difference between the 2 blades is fairly obvious. I compared it to his t-11 and the ZL-H is slower while the ZL-K is faster by a notch or 2.

On middle and long distances from the table shots, i find the ZL-K faster and has a longer trajectory on long distances. The ZL-H's power seems limited up to the middle distance only. Near the table the ZL-H is much better and shines most even compared to the ZL-K.

On spinny attacks, the ZL-H loops better near the table with very good speed and power while the ZL-K has more power but spins less compared to the ZL-H. So power shots and counters, the Zl-K is better. ON spinny shots and slow looping, the ZL-H seems good.

Control-wise, the ZL-H excels above the table. Especially on flicks and drop  shots, the ZL-H is very good to control and it's like using an all wood blade. The woody feeling gives a good feel to control the ball. B oth blades are stiff and lacks vibration.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Soundoff88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundoff88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2014 at 12:35pm
drum rolls please...
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2014 at 11:00pm
updated with reviews on the ZL-hinoki, ZL-Koto and Balsa Carbon Hinoki blades
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2014 at 8:23am
Is the ZL-Koto similar to any other blade you've tryed? What are the best rubbers to resolve the less spin near the table (tenergy05, Tibhar EVO MX-P or EL-P or Hurricane 3-50, this one with booster)?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2014 at 10:35am
the ZL-Koto is somewhat similar to ZJK blade. i forgot about the ZL-Hinoki since there are a few zl-hinoki blades from butterfly

Soundoff88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundoff88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2014 at 10:38am
Thanks for the reviews.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2014 at 10:41am
try using el-p or t-05fx

smarta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 6:29pm
Tonight i try xvt zl koto.with stiga airoc m max on fh and sanwei gears 2,2mm on bh. Total weight is 178gr , perfect for me , with perfect balance racket. the feeling is not hard,the blade is stiff but not hard.loop is very easy,the control is very high for a fast blade how this. absolutely without any vibration.very good the soft touch near the net, very controllable. Near the table play is great, very fast to hitting , the block is always easy to do, with good technic .at the mid distance this blade is a rocket, very good. I'm very happy with it , my compliments to xvt
blade: yinhe galaxy t-11+

fh: sigmaIIeurope 2.0 mm

bh: donic coppa silver x3 2mm
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2015 at 10:37pm
yogi,

think there's any chance I can get a ZL-H around 85 grams? I'd like to try one but not at 90 grams
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2015 at 10:38pm
i also only want one if I can get it in ST handle... the seller on Ali suggests you can have either ST or FL
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2015 at 10:54pm
i sent a message to the seller to ask about the weight and ST handle. I'll report back
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2015 at 11:11am
seller replied that ST was available and he would try to find my requested weight

but it looks like I waited too long. No longer listed on his store page. But Alien Sports has them for 70 bucks (instead of 40).... maybe they bought them up or made a contract

i'm waiting to hear back if XVT will have them on their own page again

I was willing to pay 40... probably not 70
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 8:47pm
The Balsa-Hinoki-Carbon sounds like it might be perfect for longpips on the bh?

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2015 at 10:33am
Theo I dunno bout the weight variants

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2015 at 11:29am
I received my XVT ZL Hinoki yesterday. I asked Henry Liu to pick one around 85 grams. The one I received is 85 grams!

Blade quality appears quite good; especially given the price. Satin poly drying now...
kenboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2016 at 1:43am
Have anyone tried out the XVT ALC blade? If so, does it go with H3 rubber? TIA.
j2sip View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j2sip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2016 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by kenboi kenboi wrote:

Have anyone tried out the XVT ALC blade? If so, does it go with H3 rubber? TIA.

Do you mean the Dragon ALC? I've been trying to find reviews about it also. Somebody offered me a good price for this blade but I can't risk my hard earned dough. I'll be using H3 too, or h3neo.

@yogi
Pleaseee review the Dragon ALC. Attractive price, good looking and available locally. It deserves a reviewBig smile

Thanks!

Edited by j2sip - 03/14/2016 at 6:44pm
tmham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2016 at 10:28pm
I have the dragon ALC, I put on my spare Donic Baracude and Tenergy 05, plays extremely well. I could do slow loopy 3rd balls with the baracuda and play mid-far table with tenergy 05. Lots of control on the block too, throw angle is decent. It used to be my spare blade but now it is my primary. 

Not sure about how it would pair with H3

Edited by tmham - 06/25/2016 at 10:29pm
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 6:56am
Where to buy these?
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
igorigor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorigor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 8:33am
Here is web store:

http://www.xvt.cc

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 6:35pm

I have a Balsa carbon 10mm thick, use Long pips OX on BH works great.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Garypham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garypham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 6:57pm
Anyone know if the superzlc blades can still be purchased? I saw old threads stating that the zlc hinoki was available in super zlc option.
igorigor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorigor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2017 at 1:01am
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2017 at 1:42am

I have an XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon 10mn thick all+

I use Long pips OX BH it gives better control for me since I use a chop block technique. Manufacturer gives 12 control rating on 12 scale.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2017 at 12:27am
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

Where to buy these?

aliexpress.com
xvt has a store there
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic