Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looping a sidespin ball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AlexZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looping a sidespin ball
    Posted: 11/18/2014 at 2:10am
I have trouble looping a long, sidespin ball. Two kinds of sidespins: One is coming at my forehand (I am right-handed), and spins away from my body. I find myself either missing the ball completely, or looping the ball out of bound (mostly), or into the net (sometimes). The second kind is coming to me but curves into my body (my elbow position); I typically loop it into the net.

Any tips? How do you deal with sidespin?

Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 2:25am
It's definitely not easy. What I have found is that the returns or loops that work involve some kind of sidespin or sideways motion if you take the ball early. If you take the ball late, the spin has usually dissipated and you have more time and table space so you can overpower the spin.

For example, if someone banana flicks the ball or a lefty hook loops the ball to the middle of the table (giving you pendulum type sidespin on a loop), I open my paddle slightly and fade with forehand (move paddle to the left). So I continue the spin and give them a sidespin ball back that they have to know how to deal with (which in my limited experience, is rarely possible). Most people who so this expect the point to end and have no real idea what to do when the ball comes back.

I can also stop the spin by contacting the side of the ball and then push the ball forward to block, but that return in my experience is more familiar to lefty loopers.

So the bottom line is that taking the ball early and aggressively needs you to contact the ball in some way on the side and the either atop or continue the spin, whichever you prefer. Point your racket upwards for fade, downwards for hook and return the ball. Hope that helps.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/18/2014 at 2:29am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 1:54pm
For the side-spin coming into your elbow and jamming you:

If you are not able to use really good footwork and get away from the ball (the best answer), there is a tendency for your hand to raise up higher as you bend your elbow to get the racket closer to your body.  You have to either not close the racket as much (since it starts from a higher point) or work on using more body rotation to get out of the way of the ball instead of bending the elbow which raises the hand.

For the ball that breaks away from your body:

For the balls going long:
If you try to hit the ball cross-court the spin reaction on your paddle actually adds a little forward speed on the ball (since it jumps in the direction you are hitting).  You need to hit a little softer or close the blade a little more.  I often try hitting these more down-the-line so that the spin reaction is less in the direction I am aiming.  If you are dealing with side-under spin balls remember that they have less underspin than you think and adjust your stroke accordingly.

For the balls going into the net:
Larry Hodges has often discussed the tendency of the playing hand to be raised up as we reach out to get to a ball breaking away from our body.  Such a higher starting position often results in hitting the ball into the net.  Concentrate on keeping the hand down even as you move to your right to get to the ball.  Also if the spin is almost all side-spin, then you have to correct the stroke.  Use less blade closure and/or swing more vertically than you would for a mostly topspin ball with some side-spin.  

Most of these adjustments have to be learned on an subconscious level so you probably need to get a partner or even a robot to feed you a lot of this type ball in a row.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 11/18/2014 at 2:00pm
mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 2:18pm
First of all,Identify the spin.If this is achieved,you will make the task of returning much easier.

Think about taking a step(small) backwards,as this will give you an extra second to react.

I cannot comment more,though,as i will need to see a video of you playing to see where you can improve
acid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 6:14pm
this is a tough one,

i've seen 1 guy back in the days, because his wrist can't hold the blade straight like everybody else so when he loops he pulls it sideway instead of straight up , this generates a curve to the right of table.
The old man playing against him always step back, wait for the ball drop then chop it side spin back!

I never play against that guy so didn't have a chance to see if i can attack it or block it. But hope that helps !
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Larry Hodges has often discussed the tendency of the playing hand to be raised up as we reach out to get to a ball breaking away from our body.  Such a higher starting position often results in hitting the ball into the net.  Concentrate on keeping the hand down even as you move to your right to get to the ball.  Also if the spin is almost all side-spin, then you have to correct the stroke.  Use less blade closure and/or swing more vertically than you would for a mostly topspin ball with some side-spin.  
Actually, what I've written is that when a ball unexpectedly breaks away from you (in particular a big-breaking sidespin serve, such as a tomahawk serve to the forehand between two righties), the tendency is to reach out and lower the racket. This results in lowering the racket from what was likely the right height to a too-low position, and so players then lift too much, and so go off the end. Also, of course, the very act of reaching for the ball at the last second (i.e. lunging) leads to a loss of control, and while this usually leads to going off the end, it can also lead to going into the net. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 4:47pm
Sorry I got that backwards Larry,

In too much of a hurry.  Thanks for getting the correction in.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 11/19/2014 at 4:50pm
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 5:20pm
My answer is only : improve your footwork as much as possible then you have 2 possibilities  to play that kind of ball :
either you attack it with your own sidespin, or you just put your paddle in opposition taking the ball low and you will send back some of your opponent's spin. Both ways demands some training to control the length and the strength in your strokes
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
AlexZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
Actually, what I've written is that when a ball unexpectedly breaks away from you (in particular a big-breaking sidespin serve, such as a tomahawk serve to the forehand between two righties), the tendency is to reach out and lower the racket. This results in lowering the racket from what was likely the right height to a too-low position, and so players then lift too much, and so go off the end. Also, of course, the very act of reaching for the ball at the last second (i.e. lunging) leads to a loss of control, and while this usually leads to going off the end, it can also lead to going into the net. 
-Larry Hodges

Yes, this is what happens to me most of the time -- the ball breaks to my far forehand, surprising me and thus causing me to reach out and lower my racquet. The end result is that I lift the ball too much.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by AlexZ AlexZ wrote:

</span>
-Larry Hodges

Yes, this is what happens to me most of the time -- the ball breaks to my far forehand, surprising me and thus causing me to reach out and lower my racquet. The end result is that I lift the ball too much.
Here's the May 14, 2012 Tip of the Week where I wrote about this. It's also in my Table Tennis Tactics for Thinkers book. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
AlexZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 1:49am

</span>
-Larry Hodges

<span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 20.3999996185303px;">Here's the </span>May 14, 2012 Tip of the Week<span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 20.3999996185303px;"> where I wrote about this. It's also in my Table Tennis Tactics for Thinkers book. </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 20.3999996185303px;">-Larry Hodges</span>

Hi Larry: Thanks for the tip (I followed your link)!
However, I have a question: Say I want to loop against the side spin ball that's breaking away from me (to my wide forehand), and I want to loop it cross court, the incoming ball is actually a top spin (relative to my paddle), am I right? You wrote backspin (to over-power the backspin). And I would have to close the paddle more (since it is a top spin relative to the paddle).
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 9:50am

Hi Larry: Thanks for the tip (I followed your link)!
However, I have a question: Say I want to loop against the side spin ball that's breaking away from me (to my wide forehand), and I want to loop it cross court, the incoming ball is actually a top spin (relative to my paddle), am I right? You wrote backspin (to over-power the backspin). And I would have to close the paddle more (since it is a top spin relative to the paddle).
Actually, it's more like looping a backspin when you go crosscourt. Think of it this way. If the ball has sidespin so it's jumping away from you on your forehand side, then the side of the ball nearer to you is moving to your right as you face the ball. So the far side of the ball is moving to your left (i.e. toward the opponent). When you go crosscourt, you have to contact the ball toward the far side, and your racket is also then moving to your left (i.e. also toward your opponent). And so the racket and the part of the ball you are contacting are both moving in the same direction - to your left, toward your opponent. So it's like looping a backspin, where the racket and part of the ball you contact are moving in (roughly) the same direction, and you have to overcome the spin. When looping against topspin, the racket is moving toward the opponent, while the part of the ball you contact is moving away from the opponent, which is the opposite - and so the ball jumps off your racket. (It's actually a bit more complicated than all this, as there's also corkscrewspin, as well as the change of the spin as it bounces on the table - but I won't go into that. I don't want to give you a headache!) 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
Dumky View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dumky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 4:04pm
For long balls that break away from your body, hit the outside of the ball.

Although it's counter-intuitive, it gives you greater chances of actually hitting the ball, compared to hitting the face or the inside of the ball.
Then you can control the direction with a relaxed arm and swing from the body. Your own speed can overcome the ball's natural reaction to bounce to the side.

If you continue dropping the ball into the net after this, consider dropping your hand and shoulder more during the backswing. Not quite as much as for an underspin ball. If you hit a ball that lacks topspin as if it had topspin, you will hit in the net.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2014 at 10:47am
Let's say you are a right handed player and you are playing against a left handed player and he does a side UNDERSPIN serve it would courve into your forehand and out then you need to aim at the middle when you want to top spin it for the other one I know a lot of guys who make this tamahawk kind of serve and the are right handed.when thee serve that serve into my backhand which would courve into middle I just run around my backhand and spin that ball down the line but i actually don't know how I think I just antissipate where it lands and then I take the ball rely but you can also wait and take the ball a little bit later and them you can control the spin easy.for short serves the reverse pendulum is actually very easy to flip with backhand ashen a right handed player does it just flip it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic