Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pros Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dunck_27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunck_27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pros Rubbers
    Posted: 07/13/2006 at 1:28am

Is the blade or the rubbers more important? I heard that Timo Boll uses Sriver and that rubber is slow and does that mean he cannot produce a lot of spin and speed or does the blade so most of the work? Wang Liqin uses fast rubbers so does that mean he would produce more spin and speed because of the rubbers? He also doesnt have a fast blade like Timo. I need help.

Sponsored Links

conboy31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conboy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 1:53am
From the videos I have seen, technique followed by various amounts of speed glue is what is essential.

The weight of a few grams on the blade, an extra few plies of wood, or 2.5 instead of 2.2 rubber are all factors... but they appear to take a back seat.
FH: Black Darker Provine SV 2.2
BH: Red Mendo MP 2.0
Avalox Ma Wenge Carbon
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 1:57am

It is personal preference.  Also, these Pros have really good technique.  So these guys can generate their own speed and pace on the ball.  I think that both the blade and rubber are both important and how they feel together is what matters. 

For a Non-pro like you and me, we may not be able to control a super fast blade like a Schlager Carbon with a FAST rubber as well as Schlager himself.  It may be too fast for some.  Some people do pair these faster blades with softer sponged rubber so that they have more control over their blade.  At time, people pair a slower blade with a faster rubber.  It is all preference.  You should pair your own combination according to your own skill level.

I did notice that as my skill level increases  - so did the firmness of my sponge, but again it is my preference.  I currently use Sriver EL on FH and a softer sponged rubber on BH.  Which from a year and a half ago was exactly opposite to what I liked before.  Luckily, all I had to do was flip my blade around vs buying all new rubbers . . . :)

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
Sabito View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 2:04am

both are equally important, the more flexible the blade is, the better it will be to make spin, so if you try most 5 ply all wood blades you'll feel how easy it will be to make spin compared to a thick carbon blade, the more elastic-flexible-tensioned the rubber is the better it will be to produce spin-speed like bryce sriver g2, besides the speed glue will make 50% of the work, if you compare a timo boll spirit with sriver and a OC CR with a sriver the spirit will be way faster but the way those chinese players hit the ball makes their strokes faster and better, the speed is generated from the flexibility of the blade and the springiness of the rubber on a long-dwell time stroke while on boll's racket it will be the bounce of the hardish boll spirit, once you try both kind of blades like that you will understand why the fastest topspin on the world(chen qi's) couldnt be made with a schlager carbon...

PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 3:10am
As far as I know most of pros use 2.1 thickness or eg. Kreanga 1.9 Bryce. (I mean offensive players) Only amateurs are silly enough to use max-max-max rubbers  I agree with sabito it doesn't depend only on the equipment but also the movements.
we make real professional handmade table tennis blades - ospblades.com
Balint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 3:46am

Is the blade or the rubbers more important?

Yes both + the glue + ball + light + everything :)

I heard that Timo Boll uses Sriver and that rubber is slow and does that mean he cannot produce a lot of spin and speed:

A Boll Spirit with sriver max + a few layers of speedglue is a really fast combination if you play against a very good player who can generate good spin.I think it would be too fast for the 95% of this forum's users. So it's funny: I'm using a 7.0mm thick carbon blade + max Almana. 

Wang Liqin uses fast rubbers: it's not that fast as Timo's. Yes It's his extra special fast footwork and arm movement tech. :)   

Butterfly Timo Boll Spirit
FH: DHS SKYLINE 3 2.2mm
BH: DHS SKYLINE 3 2.2mm
Glue SZIKO PREMIUM SPEED ;-)
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 5:37am
If you put fast rubbers on a slow blade you will get a fast paddle. If you put slow rubbers on a fast blade you will get a slow paddle. Its the rubber that decides the speed, the blade only gives you that little extra touch and possibility to adjust the speed to your own likings.
Atleast thats my experience and all of my traininggroup agree.
The holy grail
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 6:55am

Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

If you put fast rubbers on a slow blade you will get a fast paddle. If you put slow rubbers on a fast blade you will get a slow paddle. Its the rubber that decides the speed, the blade only gives you that little extra touch and possibility to adjust the speed to your own likings.

What do you think why manufacturers produce different blades if rubbers determine speed? For the touch? You are not 100% right.

P�r$son View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr$son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 7:07am
Originally posted by PLLsystem PLLsystem wrote:

As far as I know most of pros use 2.1 thickness or eg. Kreanga 1.9 Bryce. (I mean offensive players) Only amateurs are silly enough to use max-max-max rubbers I agree with sabito it doesn't depend only on the equipment but also the movements.

Kreanga really uses 1.9mm Bryce ???? Why ??! He should better leave his superfast KC and switch to Bryce 2.1mm instead...What do you think ?! Bryce 2.1mm is much much more spin..

alifuat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alifuat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 7:27am
a
Ares Optimus ( Hand Made by Fast-Spin )
Fh: Sinus Sound
Bh: Rapid D.TecS Soft

http://www.fast-spin.com
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 7:28am

I think when Butterfly started to develop the Bryce & "Bryce generation" from 97 (Schlager, Kreanga, Boll, Maze & others) they suggested a bit smaller thickness for everybody like Andro Maxcell etc. (2.1 High Tension = MAX normal rubber, if u used 2.1 Sriver choose 1.9 High tension) )Finally Boll switched back to Sriver L & Sriver EL but the others stayed. Maybe Kreanga simply switched to the high tension with proper thickness. Regarding Mr Imamura Schlager needed almost 3 years to master Bryce. He maybe switched from 2.1 no tension to 2.1 high tension.

In sum: Kreanga's 1.9 fh or bh has the same preformance than before

alifuat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alifuat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Balint Balint wrote:

Is the blade or the rubbers more important?

Yes both + the glue + ball + light + everything :)

I heard that Timo Boll uses Sriver and that rubber is slow and does that mean he cannot produce a lot of spin and speed:

A Boll Spirit with sriver max + a few layers of speedglue is a really fast combination if you play against a very good player who can generate good spin.I think it would be too fast for the 95% of this forum's users. So it's funny: I'm using a 7.0mm thick carbon blade + max Almana. 

Wang Liqin uses fast rubbers: it's not that fast as Timo's. Yes It's his extra special fast footwork and arm movement tech. :)   

Absolutely  i think like you ...

Ares Optimus ( Hand Made by Fast-Spin )
Fh: Sinus Sound
Bh: Rapid D.TecS Soft

http://www.fast-spin.com
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 9:40am
Its all speedglue; Hurricane 3, Sriver and Bryce are pretty much the same speed once you pour enough glue into each one. The pros just use what they're used to, no one changes from Hurricane to Sriver or vice-versa.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by PLLsystem PLLsystem wrote:

Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

What do you think why manufacturers produce different blades if rubbers determine speed? For the touch? You are not 100% right.

Well, maybe not 100 but atleast 99% right
What I meant was that a fast blade with fast rubber offcourse is faster then a fast blade wit slow rubbers. It goes the other way around to. BUT! It is the rubber that determinds the speed of the paddle, the blade only slightly increase or decrease the speed of the paddle. That is my own experince from using bat allround-Off+.
The holy grail
bigreddawgie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigreddawgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 6:35pm
its all about technique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic