FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

1 Step vs 2 Step Footwork

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 Step vs 2 Step Footwork
    Posted: 01/06/2016 at 4:03pm
I am starting my footwork shadow training and I have a few questions.  First definitions for the benefit of clarity in this discussion (my definitions and not necessarily universal ones)

1 step footwork - Stepping with only one foot toward the ball.  If going right the right foot steps first and the left foot stays in place or may drag a little to the right.  If going left the left foot steps first and the right foot stays in place or may drag a little to the left.

2 step footwork - Both feet move toward the ball.  If going right the left foot (trailing foot) moves first and then the right foot moves right also.  For small moves the feet my move almost at the same time.  For larger moves the leading foot is delayed slightly longer to give the trailing foot time to cover more distance.

Cross-over footwork - Both feet move toward the ball.  The trailing foot moves even with or even beyond the leading foot before the leading foot moves.  The leading foot then moves toward the ball as the body also rotates such that the ball so struck with either both feet still in the air or at least the leading foot still in the air.

In some discussions it is stated that moving the leading foot first is incorrect and leads to leaning for the ball.  They say the trailing foot should always move first.  This would seem to indicate that you should never use 1 step footwork.  However, in watching video, and in a few discussions players are definitely using 1 step footwork.  This is most often with close to the table players (mainly women) where the response time to the opponent's shot is small and the distances to cover are also smaller.

So the questions are:

1. Should I be training both 1 step and 2 step footwork?  I do play primarily close to the table.

2. How do you train yourself to step with the leading foot first (1 step) and at the same time train yourself to step with the trailing foot first (2 step)?  Seems like training one method negates the muscle memory for the other.

Mark - If a player shadow trains at home alone where no one can see, do they actually show improvement.

Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2016 at 1:57am
How about doing what the chinese player was doing in the footwork video. Just figure out how he is moving and try that maybe about 100 times slower than what that kid was doing. He is obviously a gifted athlete who's probably been training these moves for years.

As for the specific questions above - I'm not micro technical player - more of macro kind of guy basically just trying to hit the ball over the net and onto the table. So on the footwork side - I just try to move in a way such that I can get to the ball in a balanced and timely fashion - usually the brain and feet figure something out to get me there.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2016 at 4:21am
I think you should practice all 3 footwork patterns (1 step, 2 step and cross-over).

It's basically like how you described. 1 step for minor adjustments, 2 step for moving larger distances, and cross-over for wide balls.

For me, it feels unnatural to move the leading foot first when doing the 2 step footwork. I think most people naturally push off with their trailing foot for the side step movement.

I think as long as you're concentrating on moving and not leaning, your body will naturally do the correct footwork based on the distance you need to move.

I guess the only thing you'll have to pay attention to is moving to the right location (not moving too much or too little, or moving so that you can get better weight transfer). This is the part I struggle on.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic