FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

2016 Hurricane Bo (B1 and B2)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2016 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

How fast is B2? And can anyone do a comparison between HL5 B2? And B2 vs Butterfly ALC blades?

Thanks

its not fast. HL5 faster then B2. I would say B2 a bit slower then TB ALC or same. Didn't use TB ALC long time ...

Edited by piligrim - 04/05/2017 at 9:00am
Sponsored Links

unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2016 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

How fast is B2? And can anyone do a comparison between HL5 B2? And B2 vs Butterfly ALC blades?

Thanks

its not fast. HL5 much faster then B2. I would say B2 a bit slower then TB ALC or same. Didn't use TB ALC long time ...

Seems like you have used both HL5 and B2, can you do a quick comparison in terms of speed, throw, stiffness, sweet spot, spin and control from close to table and away from table?

And is the B2 handle similar to the small handle of HL5 or smaller?

Thanks.
edgy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edgy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2016 at 3:28pm

Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Thanks

its not fast. HL5 much faster then B2. I would say B2 a bit slower then TB ALC or same. Didn't use TB ALC long time ...

See below:

Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

Originally posted by Soundoff88 Soundoff88 wrote:

Originally posted by edgy edgy wrote:

Is the handle on these really thin like other DHS blades?

Anyone has info on the handle? Thanks.

Yes, these pink handles are skinny thin like the other DHS handles.
You either like em or hate em
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2016 at 3:41pm

Seems like you have used both HL5 and B2, can you do a quick comparison in terms of speed, throw, stiffness, sweet spot, spin and control from close to table and away from table?

Thanks.

no. I don't have HL5 right now. I had it before. B2 handle smaller then HL5 but it's pretty comfortable.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 1:29am
I have both old and new HL5 as well as B2, but only play with old HL5 and new ones are still kept in boxes. I see they all have the same thin handle in dimension. The one on HL3 is thicker. Both HL5 and B2 are identical in look but information from DHS said that the top ply of B2 is harder and quality of wood used in HL5 is higher. 

Someone must have bought and play with both and tell us more. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 4:20am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

I have both old and new HL5 as well as B2, but only play with old HL5 and new ones are still kept in boxes. I see they all have the same thin handle in dimension. The one on HL3 is thicker. Both HL5 and B2 are identical in look but information from DHS said that the top ply of B2 is harder and quality of wood used in HL5 is higher. 

Are you waiting for a special occasion to take them out of the box LOL You have all three of the blades in question, care to do a review yourself? :P
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 5:23am

Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Are you waiting for a special occasion to take them out of the box LOL You have all three of the blades in question, care to do a review yourself? :P

The shiny prints are just so beautiful to look at and I am unwilling to unwrap Embarrassed. Truth is I am a penholder and these are mainly for collection and play for fun. Can't give much meaningful review for shakehand blades from me anyway. Wink May be the best I can do is share some pics.

schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2016 at 10:33am
I have a Bo B2 blade in penhold that I tried briefly a couple months ago and put it aside as nothing special.  But then I also recently gave the HL5 cpen a go and really liked it, and it occurred to me that the blades seemed to be identical in composition, so why the discrepancy?

Looking closer at the blades, I suspect the composite fiber and carbon layer in the blades are mixed at different ratios.  The Fang Bo blade had a visibly higher ratio of the composite fiber (DHS' version of Arylate I think?) to carbon, whereas the HL5 appears to have an equal or higher ratio of carbon fiber to composite.  

I'm currently on vacation right now so I don't have a photo and I'm recalling most of this from memory, but I'll snap one when I get home after new years to compare and confirm if what I remember is correct.  I used H3NEO for the FH and T05 for the BH for my tests.

Blade Physical Characteristics

Feel - HL5 has more vibration and sharper feedback
Speed - similar (can't remember if one was clearly faster, but both are solid OFF blades)
Flexibility - HL5 felt more flexible and significantly more dwelly
Balance - HL5 felt more head-heavy
Weight - HL5 is heavier on average (although the avg weights of the blades are close enough I'm sure you could find/request blades of equal weight... the ones I tested were both 90g)
Finish - HL5's outer ply is more fragile (splinters frustratingly easily... and badly)

Playing Impressions

Blocking
- HL5 > FB2
- The higher ratio of carbon in the HL5 seems to help with blocking stability and sweet-spot size

Looping
- FB2 required a more open angle, HL5 needs a more closed angle (personally this makes HL5 preferable for me when opening against underspin)
- Amount of spin seems similar, however the FB2 has a surprisingly slightly higher arc than the HL5
- HL5's lower arc somehow gives it an extra low skidding kick when the ball lands according to my practice partner, making it less predictable on the high power shots for your opponent

Touch
- FB2's slightly stiffer feel made it easier to control in short pushes and drops, but this is preference
- HL5 requires more emphasis on follow through on all shots, touch, loop, etc., but especially in short game
- No noticeable difference when serving

Punching/Smashing
- FB2 felt faster and more direct but less controllable on flat hits
- HL5 feels... weird on flat hits since there is so much dwell - would probably need a lower-throw rubber than what I've been using to make it feel more natural for these shots

-----

That's all I can remember for now - I plan on making the switch to either the FB2 or the HL5 now that US Open is done in an effort to find a softer blade that is still brutally offensive while remaining under 6mm thick (coming from Rosewood V).  You'll definitely hear more thoughts on these blades from me when I get back from Taiwan and Japan Wink

Edited by schen - 12/22/2016 at 10:37am
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2016 at 6:22pm
Thanks for posting this Steven, I've been interested in the Fang Bo blades since they came out from a penhold perspective. 

By the way, how much did your whole setup weigh? 90 grams for a penhold blade seems scary heavy to me already, especially with Neo 3 and T05 as rubbers

Nice videos of your RPB style in the other thread there, I'm trying to emulate a similar style on the backhand with the occasion RPB punch 

Edited by jk92 - 12/23/2016 at 6:24pm
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2016 at 9:51pm
With the 90g blades and dhs' head dimensions, i think the weight came out to 184-187g - exactly where i like it. I think i shave off some weight because of the finger gap on the FH side.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2016 at 2:06am
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

With the 90g blades and dhs' head dimensions, i think the weight came out to 184-187g - exactly where i like it. I think i shave off some weight because of the finger gap on the FH side.

Can't wait to read more thoughts from you when you play again with these blades.

Thanks
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2016 at 2:40pm

Could you also compare HL5 with TB ALC / Viscaria? Did you like it more or less than them?
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2016 at 7:17pm
Compared with the TB ALC, the feel is softer and feedback/vibrations more pronounced.  I liked the HL5 much more than the ALC, which felt numb and slower in comparison.

Viscaria felt more solid and direct than HL5 though, but is not nearly as flexible as the HL5.  Viscaria felt faster at the table, HL5 felt faster off the table.  

Bear in mind though I am a penholder, and my experience with Viscaria is limited to what I've felt when borrowing other peoples' Viscarias... I don't own one myself.

Overall I liked the HL5 the most, Viscaria 2nd, TB ALC 3rd.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2016 at 7:38pm

Could you also compare HL5 with TB ALC / Viscaria? Did you like it more or less than them?
Okay so my carbon blades are Donic Waldener legend/WC89, TBS, tried viscaria and a couple others and own a B2. for me the TBS was better (94g tbs 90g B2), i played better at my best with the B2, my team mate told me it was the best set i've ever played when i used it with him watching but i was much more inconsistant. TBS made mylevel a little lower when i was going 100% but i was better at my worst. My favorite blades are the TBS and WC89 the B2 for me is on the same level as the Walder legend carbon.

also  all this carbon experimentation has made my level platau, the TBS gave me a boost in level when i used it because its fantastic but im looking to move towards all wood clipper or infinity to progress.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2017 at 12:45pm
Picked up a B2 this week from ttnpp.  91g, took 5 days to arrive.  Build quality looks amazing for $40.  Top ply feels very dry so I've sealed it.
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2017 at 12:26am
B0 2 is a nice blade, great for all sorts of looping and s(table) at the table -))
Minuses: very, I mean, very thin handle and a cheap pale limba top ply. Not even comparable with the look of BTY's/Nittaku's limba top plies. That was discouraging a lot.
Sold it, but saved a good memories about.      

Edited by vic#74 - 03/30/2017 at 12:34am
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2017 at 4:47am
The limba on mine doesn't look too bad, but for sure it's not as nice as the top-end stuff you see.  For this price I don't mind - how it feels in play will be the main thing.

The handle is really thin.  I expected that from previous comments, but still.  Silly thin.  DHS must be marketing the blade to a recently-discovered Polynesian island populated by pygmy tribes.
Greenfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2017 at 11:01pm
@gekogark1212, do you still play with B2 and H3 ? Tell us your experience cause I play same rubbers with TM ALC

Edited by Greenfield - 04/04/2017 at 11:02pm
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2017 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Greenfield Greenfield wrote:

@gekogark1212, do you still play with B2 and H3 ? Tell us your experience cause I play same rubbers with TM ALC

Yep. I've kept this for a good 5 months or so now.
I ended up switching to globe 999N for the harder sponge. It feels perfect for my control looping game that stresses control above all else.
Though I did find that it worked better with Chinese rubber on the BH too, but that could be me adjusting to the new ball and all.

The Bo2 is very much better for the short game than the TB ALC. If you pick up a light Bo 2 it plays very linear, and almost OFF- whereas a heavier one plays solidly OFF. The arc is also much more pronounced on the Bo2.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Greenfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2017 at 6:40pm
Do you think Bo 92g is good enough?
Your Bo 95g, where did you buy ?
Thanx
polbotinka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polbotinka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2017 at 5:27am
Did anyone notice DHS enlarged handle in later batches?

I've got 4 blades all ordered from ttnpp and last 2 had visually and sensibly larger handle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic