Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Article about deliberate practice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Article about deliberate practice
    Posted: 01/25/2017 at 8:47am
  Food for thought.
http://jamesclear.com/undefined/beginners-guide-deliberate-practice
Sponsored Links

Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 9:22am
Great article!

I do see other club members "practicing" counter looping over and over and over and over for HOURS.....I often wonder how can that NOT be boring!?!? How many techniques are there in TT? Pushing, flipping, Looping, smashing, lobbing, fishing, hook loops, fade loops, service?!?, looping underspin FH and BH, shoving, drop shots, etc, etc.....

FdT

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 9:30am
Well, they are doing what THEY like, I suspect. It's a hobby, after all.

I would not be surprised if the same folks don't play tournaments or leagues either, so not that interested in having full arsenal of shots, working on their tactics, footwork etc. perhaps?  
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 9:32am
Along the same lines, sometimes there are threads here on how to hit a certain shot.  A lot of the time, if you work at it, you can figure it out but you need to really focus your attention on repetition and disciplined practice.  A lot of the time, no matter how many things you read, or what people say, you need trial and error to figure something out. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 9:43am
"Well, they are doing what THEY like, I suspect. It's a hobby, after all.

I would not be surprised if the same folks don't play tournaments or leagues either, so not that interested in having full arsenal of shots, working on their tactics, footwork etc. perhaps?  "

Quite right. I hear you. I still wonder how doing the same thing over and over and over, year after year is not boring. Now to be fair, there are other club members who do practice other facets of the game. Those are the players I prefer to practice with.

FdT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 9:46am
"Along the same lines, sometimes there are threads here on how to hit a certain shot.  A lot of the time, if you work at it, you can figure it out but you need to really focus your attention on repetition and disciplined practice.  A lot of the time, no matter how many things you read, or what people say, you need trial and error to figure something out.  "

This is when having a good practice/sparring partner really counts. Its sooooooo hard to find a good sparring partner who is in the same wavelength as you when it comes to practice. Its harder than finding a girlfriend I tell ya!

FdT
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 9:48am
So true!

And also, unlike girlfriends, they don't generally turn into monsters unexpectedly.
coffeeholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

So true!

And also, unlike girlfriends, they don't generally turn into monsters unexpectedly.

I'd think it's pretty hot if my gf/spouse played TT with me. Embarrassed
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha | Yasaka Rakza 7 | Xiom OmegaIV Euro
Rubbers don't offer control. YOU are the control!
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by coffeeholic coffeeholic wrote:

So true!

Number 1 dream of every forum member!
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

So true!

Not 100% convinced that's the case - having separate interests and hobbies is important, IMHO. TT is 'me' time Big smile
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 1:56pm
His precision made him more like a surgeon than a golfer.

This part of the article really stood out to me. Of course there is something to be said for and necessity for stroke adjustment, but I'm a big advocate of just playing and experimenting and eventually letting things work out for themselves. More times than not, the people I've seen who endlessly train "technique" instead of just being good enough to put a good shot on the table, don't progress as well as those who strike a good balance. For most of us, once your technique is in the ballpark you'd be better served just playing the game IMO. Then again I may be biased from my old coach and practice partners that were led up under this philosophy - understand the general idea of how to make a good shot, don't obsess over every single detail of the so-called "perfect shot".
coffeeholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

So true!

Not 100% convinced that's the case - having separate interests and hobbies is important, IMHO. TT is 'me' time Big smile

I don't know man... I can picture myself arguing with her about an edge ball, and then we would glare at each other, which turns into a bout of hot, passionate.... table tennis match play!  Tongue

I need to improve... so I can make match bets with the cute girls at the clu.. i mean, so I can play competitive table tennis with them Smile

Sorry guys... my mind has derailed both the topic and any sense of respect for myself. #coffeeholicOUT
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha | Yasaka Rakza 7 | Xiom OmegaIV Euro
Rubbers don't offer control. YOU are the control!
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2017 at 1:43pm
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2017 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Well, they are doing what THEY like, I suspect. It's a hobby, after all.</span><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"> I would not be surprised if the same folks don't play tournaments or leagues either, so not that interested in having full arsenal of shots, working on their tactics, footwork etc. perhaps?  "<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Quite right. I hear you. I still wonder how doing the same thing over and over and over, year after year is not boring. Now to be fair, there are other club members who do practice other facets of the game. Those are the players I prefer to practice with.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">FdT
and I still wonder how how people can warm up and play games without doing drills beforehand. They will get the same results almost every time.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2017 at 8:59pm
Had one gf before who plays really good with long pips. I learned to drill against an lp hehehhe
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic