Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help finding a good racket/rubber setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lanuk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help finding a good racket/rubber setup
    Posted: 05/21/2017 at 11:02pm
Hey all,

This post is a bit long, just skip to the TL;DR at the bottom if you don't feel like reading. Thanks!

Summary:
  • I'm a 900-1000 level player that thinks they could easily improve to 1200 with a good setup
  • Currently using Dawei Matrix with Stiga Innovo (hard to loop, small sweet spot, pretty fast and tough for me to control)
  • Played fairly well with a DHS Hurricane King with Tenergy 05 because of better feel, larger sweet spot, much more spin (but it is a few hundred dollars out of my budget)
  • My budget is around $150 tops
At my club, people think I am one of the top players when watching me practice. In matches, I fare the same against 1500 players as I do with 800 players sometimes. My control sucks, I am inconsistent when dealing with sidespin and sometimes underspin (tough time reading spin and perhaps my setup is very sensitive to it)

I thought switching to a slightly slower setup (but still moderately fast, since my form is good and I am an offensive player on both backhand and offense) with much better control would do me good. Here is what I have considered:

• Blades: Tinhe W-6, Kasumi Basic, Ma Lin Extra Offensive, 
  • Rubbers: Yasaka Mark V HPS, Andro Rasant Powersponge, Vega Europe, Evolution FX-P
I think I prefer slightly soft rubbers/tensor rubbers over really hard sticky rubbers (I haven't liked the chinese rubbers I've tried out much), but I am willing to try anything that will give me better control. I also am not a huge fan of really light blades (I didn't like Joola Carbon when I tried it out)

TL;DR Can anyone recommend a good setup for an offensive player that likes to block/counterhit/attack that can help me work on my control and is somewhat forgiving when dealing with spin?

Edited by Lanuk - 05/21/2017 at 11:54pm
Sponsored Links

koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2017 at 8:13pm
Honestly, no matter how good your strokes are, if you are a 1000 player, you have no business playing with Tenergies, etc unless you are a junior player who gets a fair amount of coaching.

If your basic strokes are sound, any decent OFF- blade with middle of the road rubbers is a good bet.

There is quite a variety of blades like this out there and, honestly, almost any of them will work fine if the handle fits you adequately.

I would likely consider Yasaka Extra, Avalox BT555, Butterfly Korbel and blades like that.

As far as rubbers go, since you are sorta used to Innova, something along those same lines with a bit more spin is a good bet.  I would not go for anything very soft.  That will not help you develop your strokes further.  Go with medium sponge of some sort and 1.8 to 2.0mm sponge thickness. 

In principle Nexy Karis M sounds like a good option, but I have not tried it yet, so I can only go off of forum reviews.  It is a low throw rubber like the Innova you currently have, but with a lot more control and spin.  I have a sheet on order, so I will know how ti plays soon enough.

Of the German Tensor rubbers, Something like Tibhar EL-S with 1.8mm sponge might be good.  It is higher throw than what you are used to and much spinnier.  However, it is not a difficult rubber to control.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Lanuk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2017 at 9:08pm

Sorry, I didn't make it clear, but I am not officially ranked. I guestimated 1000 based on the fact that I recently lost to a player not much higher than that level (not sure how). But I have consistently played with 1500-2400 level players, one of which lent me their DHS Hurricane King + Tenergy 05 to play with for a couple months helping me refine my strokes throughout this duration. I just don't have good (or much of any) match experience.

That said, I realized this setup was way to fast and hard to control so I tried to step it down. Now I'm looking to step it down again. 

I am considering Yasaka Extra right now. I appreciate the rubber suggestions, I will look into them
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2017 at 10:12pm
Well, if you want to play matches, you also need to work on serve, serve return, pushes and blocks.  All of those are much easier to learn with comparatively tame equipment.

That having been said, importance of comfortable grip and balance are hard to overestimate.  I found that I am much more sensitive to grip shape and balance than to speed and stiffness.  Make sure the grip is comfortable and that you have good feedback of the ball contact.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Kapmirch View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kapmirch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Lanuk Lanuk wrote:

Hey all,

This post is a bit long, just skip to the TL;DR at the bottom if you don't feel like reading. Thanks!

Summary:
  • I'm a 900-1000 level player that thinks they could easily improve to 1200 with a good setup
  • Currently using Dawei Matrix with Stiga Innovo (hard to loop, small sweet spot, pretty fast and tough for me to control)
  • Played fairly well with a DHS Hurricane King with Tenergy 05 because of better feel, larger sweet spot, much more spin (but it is a few hundred dollars out of my budget)
  • My budget is around $150 tops
At my club, people think I am one of the top players when watching me practice. In matches, I fare the same against 1500 players as I do with 800 players sometimes. My control sucks, I am inconsistent when dealing with sidespin and sometimes underspin (tough time reading spin and perhaps my setup is very sensitive to it)

I thought switching to a slightly slower setup (but still moderately fast, since my form is good and I am an offensive player on both backhand and offense) with much better control would do me good. Here is what I have considered:

• Blades: Tinhe W-6, Kasumi Basic, Ma Lin Extra Offensive, 
  • Rubbers: Yasaka Mark V HPS, Andro Rasant Powersponge, Vega Europe, Evolution FX-P
I think I prefer slightly soft rubbers/tensor rubbers over really hard sticky rubbers (I haven't liked the chinese rubbers I've tried out much), but I am willing to try anything that will give me better control. I also am not a huge fan of really light blades (I didn't like Joola Carbon when I tried it out)

TL;DR Can anyone recommend a good setup for an offensive player that likes to block/counterhit/attack that can help me work on my control and is somewhat forgiving when dealing with spin?

get a yaska exrta blade or the bty primorac blade. ... by your description of what you like, i would go with the nexy Karis M on both sides.

-----------------------
you cant buy happiness, but you can buy a TT table. And that's pretty much the same thing.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2017 at 2:41pm
Whatever setup you get, get some coaching.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2017 at 5:29pm
I just got my Nexy Karis rubbers in the mail.  I'll try them tonight and let you know what I think.
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2017 at 6:10pm
My advice is to first choose an ALL+/OFF- 5-ply all-wood blade you like. Stay around 5.5mm overall thickness and a traditional construction (limba or koto outer). I wouldn't be afraid to put 50% or more of your budget in the blade. However, you can spend less and still get a very good blade: Stiga's Allround (Classic, Evo, CR) blades are rather inexpensive and you can't do anything wrong. If you want something slightly faster (OFF-), consider Stiga Offensive Classic.

I second the Nexy Karis M option for rubbers. On the less expensive side, I'm still a fan of the good ol' classics like Sriver EL or Mark V, but they are not cheap. Donic Coppa is also a proven classic and usually costs less. Even less expensive is Nittaku Micro (don't laugh, it's a basic rubber offering excellent control and is rather insensitive to incoming spin): I would pair it with a slightly faster blade though.

In conclusion, a Stiga Allround Evolution blade with two sheets of Donic Coppa will set you back about 85$ plus shipping, as TT stores will often offer a 20-25% discount if you buy multiple items. Also, you can easily find deals on "classic" TT material.

This would leave you with about 60$ to spend in coaching or your next rubbers.
Just my 2 cents.

Edited by arg0 - 05/24/2017 at 6:11pm
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic