Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly SK Carbon 2017 - Penhold/CS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly SK Carbon 2017 - Penhold/CS
    Posted: 05/24/2017 at 11:34am

Just got the Butterfly SK Carbon, 2017 model. With Penhold/CS Handle.
Blade Details:
No. of plies: 5-ply blade
Plies: Koto - T5000 Carbon - Kiri- T5000 Carbon - Koto
Weight: 79g
Thickness: 5.2 mm

Haven't played much with it. But on initial impressions, it seems like a very controllable blade(easy-to-use) with the Carbon kicking in when you use more force. With the weight and thickness it might appeal to RPB users looking for a light carbon blade.

Will update more after more sessions.

Cheers!

Edited by Chewy - 05/24/2017 at 11:35am
Sponsored Links

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2017 at 2:57pm
This new SK Carbon construction really looks like the old BTY Kumpuru Carbon.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2017 at 3:29pm
suitable for pips
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 1:50am
I think that it must be a slow blade, like off- right?
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 3:19am
79grams for a cpen won't get you that much speed and power
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 4:05am
Nice blade chewy. Welcome back to cpen world
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2017 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

This new SK Carbon construction really looks like the old BTY Kumpuru Carbon.

Kumpuru doesn't have a balsa core?
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 8:30am
Chewy can you please answer me if the blade is slow, as I know? Is it off-? Sorry for insisting in my question, but I want to buy it in the nar future.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 3:20pm
Wahahaha hello fellow penholders!!

@AMonteiro, never played with the Kumpuru Carbon before. Not sure...

@Chico, hey Chico. I've never played with Pips, but curious to your comment.
Could you kindly explain, what is a good blade for pips? Especially for short pips!

@Liulin, is mostly correct!

@Ron, thanks Ron! Always bringing two (Jpen/CpenRPB) to sessions nowadays. And trying shakehand! That's like every thing. Haha!
And sorry to read about your crappy experience with Rakza 9. Personally have never been a fan of Rakza Series either, from 7 to X.
Disliked the X quite a bit.
Recently picked up any new toys for yourself?

@Strata, no worries. I can't say the same for shakehand because I'm not sure.
But for penhold RPB, yes it feels more like an OFF- blade. But it is highly controllable, and reliable. Especially for the short-game.
The YEO is more to a true OFF blade for me(Speed-wise), but comparing the SK Carbon to the Hurricane Hao 3.
The SKC definitely is more reliable in the short game. Because of the carbon just behind the top ply, and it being 5-ply. So so easy to control.
This is the best blade I've had in short-game control. Good for players that are starting to pick up RPB.

However do beware, mid to far distances. You have to generate power from you waist, in order to have speed/power loops
Those arm-only drives won't get you anywhere with the speed factor.

If you carefully read BTY's description, the SK Carbon is an easy to use Carbon Blade. Especially for players transitioning from wood blades.
I think they got this right. If you would like something faster, I believe there are many options available.
I once tried the YEO7, absolute rocket. Was way to fast for me.
Hope my answers can help you in some way.

Cheers!

*PS Description for Penhold Blades only!

Edited by Chewy - 05/27/2017 at 3:22pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 3:41pm
Thanks Chewy, that was what i was expecting. Thank you a lot friend!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2017 at 4:45pm
Most welcome Strata. Glad that I could help! :)
lzrby View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lzrby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Chewy Chewy wrote:

But for penhold RPB, yes it feels more like an OFF- blade. But it is highly controllable, and reliable. Especially for the short-game.
The YEO is more to a true OFF blade for me(Speed-wise), but comparing the SK Carbon to the Hurricane Hao 3.

I once tried the YEO7, absolute rocket. Was way to fast for me.

Hi Chewy, how much feeling/feedback does the BTY SK Carbon have compared to the YEO 7 Power and the Hurricane Hao 3?

I have a penhold YEO 7 Power with H3 provincial on forehand and I have trouble with half-long loops when I'm out of position. (I remember Timo Boll said those difficult shots are how you tell if the blade has enough control.) But I love the amount of feedback/feeling I have when looping with the YEO 7 Power, which is why I haven't switched to a slower blade with less feeling.

For reference, I tried a ZJK T5000 with Tenergy 05 and it had great control with the amount of feeling I like. It was almost like I could just loop without looking and the ball would go onto the table. (exaggerating of course). But it's just too expensive. Plus it's not offered in penhold. So I'm trying to see if the SK Carbon is a viable alternative. I originally thought it was the rubber that had more control on half-long, but I think the blade had a lot of effect as well since I've tried other blades with T05.

Let me know what you think!
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2018 at 1:47pm
Hello Iz!

Feeling/feedback: (More to least)
DHS HH3 > YEO7 Power> BTY SK Carbon

Personally, I feel T5000 blades or pure carbon blades to be very numb, stiff and hard.
Carbon fleece blades like the Ma Lin Carbon/ Acoustic carbon have good feeling though.

If you like the YEO 7 Power, I suggest you stick with it.
The HH3 is much slower with lesser rebound.
If you like T5000 and want something with more control, you can try the BTY SK Carbon. Feeling-wise it was just too numb for me..

Some other recommendations: (Try to get in the heavy 86g+ range)
1) Yasaka Ma Lin Offensive (Good feel,power and price!)
2) Ma Lin Carbon (If you have to really go for a carbon blade, good feel and price)
3) Waldner Legend carbon (Hinoki top ply + carbon) Good speed and price.

Have you tried the YEO (Yasaka Extra Offensive) yet? It too has a walnut outer ply like the YEO7. And great feeling with good balance.

Currently, I've moved onto ZLC.

Technique wise, I can't comment much. I'm just a casual player who likes to EJ! Smile

lzrby View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lzrby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2018 at 10:51pm

Hello Iz!

2) Ma Lin Carbon (If you have to really go for a carbon blade, good feel and price)

Have you tried the YEO (Yasaka Extra Offensive) yet? It too has a walnut outer ply like the YEO7. And great feeling with good balance.

Technique wise, I can't comment much. I'm just a casual player who likes to EJ! Smile

Thanks for the feedback! I will ask someone at my club who has a HH1 to try their blade. (Hopefully it's close to HH3)

I actually thought the YEO Ma Lin's vibrations were not as crisp as the YEO 7 when I was looping from far away... but it was much easier to block with Ma Lin than the YEO 7. Might've just been the speed rating factor? I will say I liked the feel in the Innerforce ZLC and Viscaria when I was looping. Unfortunately, Innerforce ZLC and Viscaria's penhold counterpart (Taksim) are hella expensive.

I haven't tried the other two, but I'll see if anyone at my club has them. Have you tried the Waldner Senso Carbon?

Interesting tidbit is that I think YEO 7 has wenge as the top ply. Check the wood pictures on https://stervinou.net/ttbdb/wood.php

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2018 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by lzrby lzrby wrote:

Hello Iz!

Thanks for the feedback! I will ask someone at my club who has a HH1 to try their blade. (Hopefully it's close to HH3)

I actually thought the YEO Ma Lin's vibrations were not as crisp as the YEO 7 when I was looping from far away... but it was much easier to block with Ma Lin than the YEO 7. Might've just been the speed rating factor? I will say I liked the feel in the Innerforce ZLC and Viscaria when I was looping. Unfortunately, Innerforce ZLC and Viscaria's penhold counterpart (Taksim) are hella expensive.

I haven't tried the other two, but I'll see if anyone at my club has them. Have you tried the Waldner Senso Carbon?

Interesting tidbit is that I think YEO 7 has wenge as the top ply. Check the wood pictures on https://stervinou.net/ttbdb/wood.php

Taksim and vuscaria are different.taksim is thicker
lzrby View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lzrby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2018 at 11:37pm
Yes, exactly. I think Taksim was made for traditional penhold blocking and more smashing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic