Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Viscaria/Free Chack II Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viscaria/Free Chack II Question
    Posted: 07/26/2017 at 2:38pm
This is a question for all the Viscaria buffs and enthusiasts out there.

Is the new handle (2017) version Viscaria the same dimensions as the previous one?

For anyone that has tried sealing their Viscarias, do you notice much of a difference in feel. Im looking to purchase one from paddlepalace and they offer sealing service and im considering it.

And this is another question pertaining BTY Free Chack II, there arent many reviews on this glue but does it bond stronger than Free Chack I as stated by BTY (which was already a very strong), and any problems with this particular glue splintering the blade.

Thanks
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Sponsored Links

iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 3:11pm
I'll just throw in my two cents while waiting for the Viscaria experts to chime in.

I did play with a sealed Viscaria once and felt it didn't produce any dwell at all. It required considerable effort to forehand top spin from mid distance which shouldn't be the case at all. I was using a new sheet of hurricane 3 neo. This was a stark contrast to the Timo Boll Spirit and ALC blades I've played with which were great for looping. Could just be the owner/previous owner sealed it too thick though.

I haven't tried Free Chack 2 but if the original Free Chack is any indication of how it will be I'd stay away. The bond is extremely strong and it is A PAIN trying to remove glue residue from the blade and rubber during replacement. So far I'm liking Haifu Water Solubility Bond but I see Nittaku Finezip and Donic Vario Clean get good reviews.
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 3:21pm
 I did seal my Viscaria and there's no difference at all. 2 or 3 layers, then sandpaper.
As for shack2, it is very different from the original shack. Easier to remove from sponge. I have not damaged a single sheet so far. No splintering either. Yo are supposed to use one layer on blade and one on the rubber. No complaints at all.

FdT
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 3:31pm
I seal all my blades with Min Wax Wipe on and only small amount. I did not notice any difference in feel or the way it played. For the Free Chack 2 I use it and the Donic Vario Clean plus Tearmender glues. The Free Chack 2 is different from the plane Free Chack, it is easier to remove from sponge and spreads nicely, it does have a strong bond. I read some where that it is some what like Nittaku Finezip. Hope this helps.
Shifter
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 1:20am
DreiZ what is the reason for sealing it? I dont think you need it. I played years with my viscaria and never saw even a little piece of wood on my rubbers. No matter of what glue i used.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
vispowerspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vispowerspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 11:15am
I'd suggest to use a water based lacquer and use as little as possible to spread around evenly. Too much would prevent rubbers sticking onto the blade properly and prevent playing true to the blade's real characteristics.

I used free chack 1 and 2; free chack 2 is a lot better. They both provide strong bonds but as others have stated, free chack 2 is easier to maneuver and easier to remove from sponge (guess more ammonia/ammonium hydroxide). I'd suggest Free Chack Pro if you can get your hands on it, it smells absolutely amazing like soap.
W968
FH: T05
BH: T05
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 11:32am
"DreiZ what is the reason for sealing it? I dont think you need it. I played years with my viscaria and never saw even a little piece of wood on my rubbers. No matter of what glue i used."

In my experience I have had some splintering before Chack II came to the market. Since I did not want further damage I decide to seal my blades. I felt ZERO difference in blade's performance. But they are very thin layers since I did use a very fine sandpaper after applying the sealer.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 07/27/2017 at 11:33am
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

DreiZ what is the reason for sealing it? I dont think you need it. I played years with my viscaria and never saw even a little piece of wood on my rubbers. No matter of what glue i used.

Ive had only one blade splinter on me but that was long time ago, i think i used FCI back then.

Another thing is, I noticed over time with WBG the top ply becomes softer, I reglue rubbers about every 5-6 months using the watery WBGs and i think they do affect the top ply over time. I want to prevent that, without affecting the feel too much. 

*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 5:04pm
Of course the new glue affect the blades! The hummidity from the water that the glue contains, it is the worst thing for the wood. If you want to seal your blade for this reason, I am 100% with you Wink
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 6:47pm
I like Free Chack 2 and it doesn't damage my Viscaria. I honestly don't remember what Free Chack 1 was like. Seal if you want but a thin single coat would be the most you need. My main blade is more than 10 years old.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

I seal all my blades with Min Wax Wipe on and only small amount. I did not notice any difference in feel or the way it played. For the Free Chack 2 I use it and the Donic Vario Clean plus Tearmender glues. The Free Chack 2 is different from the plane Free Chack, it is easier to remove from sponge and spreads nicely, it does have a strong bond. I read some where that it is some what like Nittaku Finezip. Hope this helps.

Is Min Wax wipe a water based sealant? And which one do you use, satin or gloss?

TT11 has Donic Formula Lacquer and Revolution Lacquer which are both water-based. Seems like both have good reviews and easy to use.

Edited by DreiZ - 07/27/2017 at 7:36pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 9:48pm
Revolution laquer prevented my rubbers from attaching. Fortunately it doesnt penetrate into the wood. I think you are better off with just a trace of minwax

I use old fashioned hairspray on tbe blade before gluing. I never get splinters.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2017 at 1:35am
anyone tried latest butterfly chack sheets, are they any safer on wood or still super strong bond that might cause splintering? And is it one time use for rubbers using chack sheets?

Edited by DreiZ - 07/29/2017 at 1:49pm
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2017 at 1:59pm
I've heard that FCII is very similar to Finezip, but it a little thinner allowing for better workability.  Finezip is fantastic, but if you wait too long, especially for the blade, you get clumping- FCII is supposed to be slightly more viscous. Perhaps someone can confirm?
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2017 at 4:13pm
Yes, that is a pretty good description.  I prefer Free Chack 2 to Finezip because it is easier to avoid clumping.  But both are good.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2017 at 6:55pm
I got my FCII from btyonline official website and used it yesterday. 

To my surprise its not like Finezip at all. I had some issues with finezip but overall it was a decent glue. Took a while to dry, easy to manipulate and well enough time to dry so it didnt clump much. Bond seemed weak though, so it needs multiple layers thus adding weight.

FCII is more liquidy compared to Finezip. Strong ammonia smell and it dries very fast. Like almost within a minute on the blade, and maybe 3 minutes on the rubber. I used thin layers as recommended and i had to work very fast as to not form clumps. Bond seems strong, havent peeled it off obviously. But i tried to roll it from the excess cut rubber and it rolls very easily from non-porous chinese sponge.

Compared to Donic Vario Clean which is very similar to Free Chack I. I think Vario Clean is better for the price. It takes a little longer to dry (probably more water) since its liquidy like FCI. Spreads pretty good but can clump on blade if you arent fast enough but still more manageable than FCII. Strong bond so if you dont change rubbers often i recommend it along with FCI. If you change often then Finezip is better.

Basically in terms of thickness FCII is somewhere in between Finezip and FCI/Vario Clean, but a very fast drying glue.

I still havent sealed my blade so im going to do that and then try FCII or BTY Chack Sheets. Havent decided yet, still weighing in pros and cons of each one.

Thats my recent experience with these glues so far.

Edited by DreiZ - 07/30/2017 at 7:05pm
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Revolution laquer prevented my rubbers from attaching. Fortunately it doesnt penetrate into the wood. I think you are better off with just a trace of minwax

I use old fashioned hairspray on tbe blade before gluing. I never get splinters.

any hairspray?
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 12:01pm
I should change the thread title... I got a good deal on a new TB ALC ST handle so i picked that.

Going back to the topic... wasnt it established here a while back that hairspray is water soluble and doesnt provide a good seal against water? I know it can help with protecting against splintering but im not sure how it would work as a water sealant.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic