Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

which ALC blade to try

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which ALC blade to try
    Posted: 09/01/2017 at 8:28pm
I'm a penholder currently using KTS. I'm wondering to test a Cpen blade with ALC, which hopefully doesn't need a lot to adjust. I plan to use T05 at fh and T05fx at bh.
I'm wondering to choose one from below
Timo Boll ALC
Zhang Jike ALC
Taksim
They are very close as far as I can tell by searching online.
Any advice? Thanks in advance.
EJ-turned blade collector
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2017 at 8:42pm
Taksim has a much thicker core.  So it is different from the other two.  That would make it stiffer, but at the same time people who love the Taksim say it has a soft feel.  I have no idea which of the three you would like better, but the Taksim is definitely a bit of an outlier compared to the other two. 
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2017 at 8:53pm
just go with a Barwell Fleet cpen.  I owned a TB ALC, not too powerful compared to TB T5000.  Taksim has a thick core but a soft feel.  ZJK ALC cpen is just too expensive.  I bet my Barwell Fleet is faster than all three of these blades.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2017 at 10:18pm
Taksim was very popular when it was in production with cpen players ive known (still see it time to time). Very good blade if you can find one. If not i would go for ZJK alc.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

just go with a Barwell Fleet cpen.  I owned a TB ALC, not too powerful compared to TB T5000.  Taksim has a thick core but a soft feel.  ZJK ALC cpen is just too expensive.  I bet my Barwell Fleet is faster than all three of these blades.

Hi liulin04, I saw your review on xiom katana, are you still using it? Is it less powerful than barwell fleet?
I found taksim, zjk alc and tb alc are about same price in Asia market, it's not an issue.
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2017 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Taksim has a much thicker core.  So it is different from the other two.  That would make it stiffer, but at the same time people who love the Taksim say it has a soft feel.  I have no idea which of the three you would like better, but the Taksim is definitely a bit of an outlier compared to the other two. 

I have no idea either. It seems Wong Ct uses zjk alc and tom feng uses taksim. They are top cpen players outside of China. So any of them would be good enough for me. Now I like more spins and would prefer a soft but solid (less vibration) blade. Thanks
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 9:53am
Hi, updates...
based on liulin04's recommendation and other posts, I bought a barwell fleet from tt11 and paired it with evo MXP (1.8-2.0) on both sides. 
I didn't specify the weight in my original comments, but followed another email to ask for a weight 85-90g. I think the msg was missed somewhere or did not reach the person on time. The combo I received is 198g... unless MXP or tt11 edge tape is super heavy, I guess the blade itself is over 100g. while I didn't feel much weight for short period of time, I'm a little concerned about my fingers for long term.
I probably will still keep it for more testing and occasional use. But after all, I decided to stick with my Hurricane Long 5.
thanks all.
HarmonicTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 12:26pm
Are you a penholder?
If not what rubbers do you use on the long 5
I was either gonna get a long 1 or long 5
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 1:18pm
i'm penholder. i have hurricane 8 on fh and MXP on bh of HL5.
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 1:44pm
Go for Timoboll ALC, it has a good resale value, since you are just trying it, you may not want to keep it and just sell it off
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by photino photino wrote:

Hi, updates...
based on liulin04's recommendation and other posts, I bought a barwell fleet from tt11 and paired it with evo MXP (1.8-2.0) on both sides. 
I didn't specify the weight in my original comments, but followed another email to ask for a weight 85-90g. I think the msg was missed somewhere or did not reach the person on time. The combo I received is 198g... unless MXP or tt11 edge tape is super heavy, I guess the blade itself is over 100g. while I didn't feel much weight for short period of time, I'm a little concerned about my fingers for long term.
I probably will still keep it for more testing and occasional use. But after all, I decided to stick with my Hurricane Long 5.
thanks all.

A penhold blade over 100g?? OuchOuch 

MXP is around 72g uncut, say cut is 53g just as a rough estimate, the blade should be around the 93g mark at most? 
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by jk92 jk92 wrote:

Hi, updates...
thanks all.

A penhold blade over 100g?? OuchOuch 

MXP is around 72g uncut, say cut is 53g just as a rough estimate, the blade should be around the 93g mark at most? 

Ouch right...
I chose the 1.8-2.0 thickness, not 2-2.2 or MAX, so the weight should be lessShocked. also there's ~1.5cm gap for the front rubber. my estimate is that the weight of rubbers should be 45+50 = 95 most. and 2g for the edge tape.Cry

my 90g HL5 with Hurricane 8 and MXP is 183g. and HL5 surface is slight larger than BF. the rubbers shouldn't exceed 95g.

Edited by photino - 09/19/2017 at 5:07pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 6:02pm
I've had multiple at 96 grams before.... for the barewell fleet it's definitely out there like close to 100 grams lol. I prefer 95 now that I started to finally workout a lot more than usual to compensate for the heavier blades

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 6:03pm
Oh oops penhold is a different story lol maybe 90 tops. My bad
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 3:21am

Hi, updates...
thanks all.

Woah Photino, you are playing with a real heavy setup for RPB. 
But if you can handle the weight, I guess it gives you very good power especially from far-table play. 

It would be good if you can ask beforehand to TT11 through Email, regarding weights they currently carry. I'm sure they gave you the closest variant they currently had closest to (85-90g). 

Taksim might be a little too thick for RPB IMO. 7mm iirc? And a slightly smaller headsize. 

HL5 as you have is a good option. Some other options include, DHS Fang Bo (ALC), Innerforce Layer ALC, Innerforce Layer ALC.S, Donic Baum Espirit, etc. 

I tried an 88g Nittaku Acoustic Inner Carbon from a friend. Was a very good experience, and I can finally understand why many people appreciate this blade. 

Cheers! Smile
timoboll86 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboll86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 6:36am
Timo Boll ALC is better
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by timoboll86 timoboll86 wrote:

Timo Boll ALC is better

Why?
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I hope you find the cpen alc blade that will support what you envision for your game.

I have a suggestion: could your research possibly be a bit wider and include zlc blades? after all, coming from a fast and soft kts, the jump to alc might be tough (especially if the alc is right behind the top plies) while the transition to a zlc cpen blade might be more natural. 

I was of course thinking of the innerforce-layer-zlc-cs and blades alike.

thank you for the input. my impression is that the zlc surface is harder than alc. so coming from a fast & soft kts, at least i kept the "soft" part. by switching, hopefully i'm exchanging power for control. i think i will at least give a try to HL5 for now.
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2017 at 1:59am

I hope you find the cpen alc blade that will support what you envision for your game.

I have a suggestion: could your research possibly be a bit wider and include zlc blades? after all, coming from a fast and soft kts, the jump to alc might be tough (especially if the alc is right behind the top plies) while the transition to a zlc cpen blade might be more natural. 

thank you for the input. my impression is that the zlc surface is harder than alc. so coming from a fast & soft kts, at least i kept the "soft" part. by switching, hopefully i'm exchanging power for control. i think i will at least give a try to HL5 for now.

Hey Photino,

I agree with Fatt. If you compare the Innerforce Layer ZLC, to TB ALC & ZJK ALC. The IF ZLC will feel softer (does not lack in power though). Maybe this is why it might feel closer to your KTS which is both soft & powerful.
On these blades, top surface for IF ZLC is Limba, while the other two are Koto (which feels harder), additionally the ALC plies are right behind the first ply, while the ZLC is right by the core. Core-wise IF ZLC is ayous vs kiri for the latter. Meaning overall feel is also a tad softer.
ZLC feels softer (gives you more woody feel) compared to ALC too.

😁👍🏻
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2017 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Swiff Swiff wrote:

Originally posted by timoboll86 timoboll86 wrote:

Timo Boll ALC is better

Why?
because the id is called timoboll86Wink
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Chewy Chewy wrote:

Hey Photino,

I agree with Fatt. If you compare the Innerforce Layer ZLC, to TB ALC & ZJK ALC. The IF ZLC will feel softer (does not lack in power though). Maybe this is why it might feel closer to your KTS which is both soft & powerful.
On these blades, top surface for IF ZLC is Limba, while the other two are Koto (which feels harder), additionally the ALC plies are right behind the first ply, while the ZLC is right by the core. Core-wise IF ZLC is ayous vs kiri for the latter. Meaning overall feel is also a tad softer.
ZLC feels softer (gives you more woody feel) compared to ALC too.

😁👍🏻

Thank you, Chewy. I will give ZLC a try one day. actually I have ZJK SZLC in reserve. only reason I'm not using it is that it feels beyond my playing level. so does KTS I have to say. I would feel more comfortable once I reach a reasonable level, like 1800. Before reaching that, I think I should go with a more "basic" setting to build up my skills. thanks
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2017 at 11:19am

I'm a penholder currently using KTS. I'm wondering to test a Cpen blade with ALC, which hopefully doesn't need a lot to adjust. I plan to use T05 at fh and T05fx at bh.
Timo Boll ALC
Zhang Jike ALC
Taksim

why are you obsessed with alc?
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2017 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Timo Boll ALC
Zhang Jike ALC
Taksim

If i plan to eat pizza tonight and ask reviews of local pizza places, does it mean i'm obsessed with pizza?
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2017 at 7:47pm
I'd go for Fang Bo 2 for a budget blade before to any pricey Butterfly series.

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2017 at 12:41pm

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Timo Boll ALC
Zhang Jike ALC
Taksim

If i plan to eat pizza tonight and ask reviews of local pizza places, does it mean i'm obsessed with pizza?

so you re planing to dump your alc blade after playing?
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2017 at 12:44pm
heh I also use the Timo Boll ALC.  I use T64 forehand and T05 backhand.  I've had this setup for 2 years now and I'm not changing!
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Swiff Swiff wrote:

heh I also use the Timo Boll ALC.  I use T64 forehand and T05 backhand.  I've had this setup for 2 years now and I'm not changing!

Is the boll alc still good enough for the new abs ball? I am also using the boll alc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic