Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

a looper who can’t move....help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
clang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a looper who can’t move....help
    Posted: 09/18/2006 at 11:23pm
HI All...I'm a penholder and a looper. My US rating is around 1900. I have a problem in my game . I tend not to move to my left to initiate attack. I use alot of backhand to push or block.
It makes my game very defensive. Whenever I try to move to my left , I'm constantly a bit too late to make a quality strong loop.
My coach told me I have to keep bouncing on my toes while in play but it is very straining to my feet :-(
Also, I was told to move from point to point with my body low thru out the game. Is that true? I find that by keeping my body low while moving seems to slow down my movement.
Am I doing something wrong ? please advise.
Cheers...Browniehubby
Sponsored Links

silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2006 at 11:40pm
Do what your coach says.

If your feet hurt they're weak.
Potato Face
clang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2006 at 11:52pm
How about the position of the feet? I use to place my right feet abit further away from my left, with my body tilting at an angle with the table. My coach tell me it is wrong. My right feet should be just half behind or equal step with my left feet , and the body should be square with the table. Any clues?
Cheers....Browniehubby
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2006 at 12:11am
Again, listen to your coach.

I'm not sure what you were doing previously, but from your description it sounds like you're putting your weight over your left leg. Don't. Go for a centred weight distribution. If this is what you were doing, it could be partially why you weren't moving to your left properly.
Potato Face
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2006 at 12:39am

i think you misunderstood what your coach said. if you feel a strain then is because you're forcing yourself to be on your toes. your heels should feel light as if they are not touching the floor.  you basically shift the weight towards the front balls of your feet where the toes are (you do not need to overdo it).  you should never be leaning towards something like having more weight on one feet except when you are looping.  if you are a loop driver than you should be centered at all cost but if you are looper who is looking for more spin then you need to do weight transfer from one leg to the other.  i am also working on this but when you are playing is a whole different story because you are so used to something.  i practiced by myself today and i realized that if i kept my legs relaxed i could transfer more power and is actually more consistent.  When your legs are stuck to the ground like glue, you are restricting some or a lot of power so let your legs move because they really want to move.  i really hope this helps.  read books about bruce lee or something b/c that will help a lot.  we need to understand how the body works so we can get the most out of it.

BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
ljcii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljcii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2006 at 3:44am
i tink u should be jumpign left right left right to keep urself lively and u should have the mentality to attack with ur forehand if u wanna move fast. u will need to have the mentality of attacking firs
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2006 at 5:08am
maybe your standing with all the pads of your feet on the ground rather than placing most of your weight on the front part like doing a tip toe
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2006 at 5:23am
it's amazing that you got to 1900 w/o realizing that you were having footwork problems.

browniehubby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browniehubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2006 at 10:01am
People tends to think I'm a 2000 rating players but I know
I'm a true 1900 US rated player or a 1800 Carlifornia or Maryland player :-)
I can play confidently with any player between 1900 and 2050. But when it comes to 2100 rated players, my weakness start to show pretty obviously.
I play too defensively.
I have a weak serve, a weak receiving and a weak footwork.
What I have is a good loop, good block and a good motivation.
I really want to work hard on my serve, receiving and footwork so I can confidently be a 'true' 2000 player.
Because of my good block, I tend to glue myself to the ground when the ball comes to my backhand.
This seems like a good tactics against 1800 players but a really horrible one against a good 2000 player. I lose the initiative to attack when the ball comes to my backhand.
Also, I'm tall and I stand too high. To make myself 'shorter', I have to bend my knee and that also hurt my movement. I don't seem to be able to move fast with my knee bent and my toes tipped.
Another question, I realise some good players tend to 'shift' their right feet forward (to the extend of slightly infront of their left feet) after/while they are looping. Their right feet will move back to its original position after they complete the loop. Is this a method for more consistency and quick recovery for second loop/drive?
Thank you for the advise. I deeply appreciate.
Cheers...browniehubby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2006 at 2:18pm
that's what we've been trying to tell you.  they can do that because their feet is not flat on the ground.  you need to find a way on how to relax your legs and feet so that you won't feel any strain at all even if you are bending your knees to be low. 

alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2006 at 3:18pm

Originally posted by browniehubby browniehubby wrote:

I have a weak serve, a weak receiving and a weak footwork.
What I have is a good loop

Those are your words........fyi if your playing 1900 players and have a weak serve and weak recieve of serve and weak footwork your not gonna get to use your good loop much

Blade Xiom Control 3/ALL+
BH Andro impuls speed
FH H3 Provincial
Tibhar CTE
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2006 at 7:26pm

Because of my good block, I tend to glue myself to the ground when the ball comes to my backhand.
This seems like a good tactics against 1800 players but a really horrible one against a good 2000 player. I lose the initiative to attack when the ball comes to my backhand.

Many people have this problem. I recommend that you try to do a relatively aggressive block cross court to his backhand. You don't want to win a point here. You try to get a predictable long topspin that you can then counterloop. You move one or two steps backwards and get ready for your counterloop immediately after the block. Chances are extremely high that he'll step around and make a long forehand tospin - most likely parallel. This is what you are waiting for. This is just one among many possible solutions, but the important thing about this idea is that it gives you a gameplan with a highly predictable scenario of how you get the initiative again. If you are "glued" to a certain routine you need to break out of this routine and premade plans are usually one of the easiest ways out of this dilemma.

Also, I'm tall and I stand too high. To make myself 'shorter', I have to bend my knee and that also hurt my movement. I don't seem to be able to move fast with my knee bent and my toes tipped.

This is a common mistake among tall players. You don't need to bend your knees too much - or even worse bend your back... What you need is a balanced position with enough muscle tension to move fast enough. You spread your legs more if you are tall, keep your back straight (otherwise you'll get back problems) and bend your knees just enough to get strong muscle tension in your thighs. You lean slightly forward to get your weight transfered a bit in front for a more stable position. As a side effect you'll be a bit more on your forefeet. You have to be fast. Find a position where you are comfortable and get enough muscle tension to be fast.

Another question, I realise some good players tend to 'shift' their right feet forward (to the extend of slightly infront of their left feet) after/while they are looping. Their right feet will move back to its original position after they complete the loop. Is this a method for more consistency and quick recovery for second loop/drive?

This is basic topspin technique. Many self taught players don't do this and this is a huge technical mistake. You start a topspin with the weight on your right leg which is behind the left leg. During the stroke you heavily twist your waist and jump a little with your feet upward and forward. This gives forward momentum to your topspin. The stronger you move forward so to speak the faster the topspin will be. During the mini jump the waist twist occurs. This will move the right leg forward in front of the left while you are up in the air because of your mini jump. This is actually an important thing for your health also if you power loop.
desmond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2006 at 8:24pm
hey I had same problem like when I was playing with strong  player I couldn't loop very good, but one day I tried to do killing loops and move like a butterfly and after a few months there was no ball that I couldn't kill it.........   try u'll do it......
browniehubby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browniehubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2006 at 11:34pm
Thank you all very much. I will try the methods suggest and see what happen. I'm very excited :-)
ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2006 at 5:33am
clang what your coach say it's true. be on your toes all the time. you will be bouncing without knowing it. if you feel it's straining, train your legs! unless there's a ball right in front of you nicely for you to loop, u need to be on your toes all the time. this will help you move faster. i think all pro players do this
blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2006 at 11:46am

they all do.

master-pong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote master-pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2006 at 12:07pm
Andreas_90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreas_90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2006 at 9:01am
maybe you jsut need more traning ? LOL. You cant move good if you haven't trained
Blade: Waldner Senso Carbon
BH: Andro Revulotion
FH: Donic Desto F3
Shakehanded
Right-Hand
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2006 at 7:49am
Do basic multiball drills with ankle weights strapped on, if 6 year olds can do it so can you.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2006 at 9:32am
Practice yr serve and 3rd ball. When yr serve is strong
you,ll be able to serve fh from bh corner and loop or kill the 3rd ball.
Additionally you said you have a good loop. But part of having a good shot is having the means to set it up.
Untill yr serves and footwork and tactical methods
for getting in are up to scratch you cannot really have a good loop.
Also theres a guy on this forum with a very good motto:
"I loop to kill, not kill to loop"
Looping isnt everything its just one of the tools, perhaps a bit overrated because people njoy practising topspin!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2006 at 7:59am
If your footwork is the problem I suggest you start playing double games. This will force you to move your feet and hopefully you will take that with you in the singles game. Or, at practise sessions you could ask your practise partner to to always hit in your stomach area and move around to hit fh, this way you will be getting used to the movement and hopefully it will al come natural to you when you play a match.
The holy grail
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic