FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Two modern defenders play

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two modern defenders play
    Posted: 11/20/2017 at 12:25pm
This is a video of a recent finals at the club I go to, Westchester Table Tennis Club. Two Chinese trained modern day defenders (over 2600) square off against each other. I'm not sure how I would characterize it. Interesting to watch.

Edited by richrf - 11/20/2017 at 12:31pm
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 1:03pm
To me it feels like this is a great example of where consistency is more important than power. Jian Li seems to have more power on his forehand than Wei Wang and is usually the aggressor in the match. Wei Wang, while of course still having great power in his forehand, seemed to have dialed it back one notch resulting in much better consistency. He was landing and placing better shots at a noticeably higher rate and I think that's why he won.

A special mention of the outstanding point at 24:37
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 3:47pm
I agree with your analysis. Wei Wang seemed to be more comfortable in the offensive, though both seemed a bit out if their normal comfort zone.
Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2017 at 10:27am
Beautiful. I love watching matches like this :)
Grab my game-changing new book and to your game to the next level!
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2017 at 11:05am
Thanks. Will Shortz does a great job of attracting high ranking national and international players to his monthly WTTC tournaments. First time I've seen two modern defensive experts in the finals.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2017 at 11:37am
I'm curious like in the point at 17:00, why the guy in red who is attacking doesn't go down the line behind his opponent? Is it just too hard/risky to change the direction? Or he prefers a counterlooping rally to giving the other guy an opportunity to chop?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2017 at 12:50pm
Wei Wang is the better player with a higher quality of shot  on all strokes.  
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2017 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

I'm curious like in the point at 17:00, why the guy in red who is attacking doesn't go down the line behind his opponent? Is it just too hard/risky to change the direction? Or he prefers a counterlooping rally to giving the other guy an opportunity to chop?

Redirecting a quality hooking ball with quality is not easy. So the answer is yes, it is hard/risky to change direction.  It's usually the higher rated player who does that if he wants to, not the lower rated player, though there are rare exceptions.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic