Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga Nostalgic Off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Nostalgic Off
    Posted: 05/18/2018 at 8:27am
Arrived today: Stiga Nostalgic Offensive with straight handle
Going to try it out end of next week, but wanted to share some pictures already. Will edit this post with my findings on this blade after some sessions.

Unfortunately, the blade does not come in the fancy box as advertised by Stiga. Instead, Stiga uses the familiar blue basic box.
At first sight, the build quality seems very decent. As expected, the edge of the wings are a bit sharp, so will have to sand it. 
Blade should be around 90 grams and mine is almost 93 grams. Heavy, but I don't mind. The weight is towards the handle. According to Stiga's website, this blade is rated as ALL+. But based on the weight alone, I expect it's more like a solid off. (strange as they rate Infinity as OFF with speed of 100, while NO (Nostalgic Off) is rated as ALL+ with a speed rating of 111)

The headsize is 150 x 157

Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Sponsored Links

opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 11:51am
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

Arrived today: Stiga Nostalgic Offensive with straight handle
Going to try it out end of next week, but wanted to share some pictures already. Will edit this post with my findings on this blade after some sessions.

Unfortunately, the blade does not come in the fancy box as advertised by Stiga. Instead, Stiga uses the familiar blue basic box.
At first sight, the build quality seems very decent. As expected, the edge of the wings are a bit sharp, so will have to sand it. 
Blade should be around 90 grams and mine is almost 93 grams. Heavy, but I don't mind. The weight is towards the handle. According to Stiga's website, this blade is rated as ALL+. But based on the weight alone, I expect it's more like a solid off. (strange as they rate Infinity as OFF with speed of 100, while NO (Nostalgic Off) is rated as ALL+ with a speed rating of 111)

The headsize is 150 x 157

Wow, that's a really attractive looking blade!  Looks a lot like the Hadraw series from Butterfly.
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by opinari opinari wrote:

Wow, that's a really attractive looking blade!  Looks a lot like the Hadraw series from Butterfly.

Both blades have the same outerply: wenge
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 5:44pm
Whats "Nostalgic" about taking a Classic blade and making Wenge outer plies instead of Limba?
But hey, it's just a name. Looking forward to your playing impressions.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2018 at 10:16pm
If they wanted a nostalgic blade they would give us the Offensive Evolution or the OC with a Walnut outer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2018 at 4:27am
Oh well, what's in a name, right? :)

I'm looking for an upgrade of my Infinity: bit more speed and less flex.  Let's see of this blade ticks the right boxes.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2018 at 1:59am
Any update after using it pingponger? Looking to get this blade as upgrade over the infinity, just worried the hard outer won't give me enough spin on softer touch shots like serves, pushes and slow loops.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2018 at 2:21am
Hi nv42, I also replied on your pm, but might as well type some info here (so others can use the info as well).

The Nostalgic OFF offers more control for short play compared to Infinity. For topspin play, I prefer the Infinity as it's flex feels better for topspin. The Nostalgic OFF is also faster compared to Infinity. 
I'm not an all out attacker and my gameplay relies on effect/topspin and proper ball placement. The Nostalgic OFF is not the right blade for me. Maybe I should give the ALL+ version a try.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2018 at 2:36am
All+ is already fast enough for most people.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2018 at 3:32am
Thanks for the reply, I guess I made a good decision ordering the arctic wood instead of the nostalgic series, was planning on ordering the all+ after reading yogi's review. I basically needed something which felt a bit easier to use than infinity from mid-distance. Even i like to play a varied spin game, I can play really quick and fast too, but playing with lots of spin is what I love. Wanting to use a hard outer wood blade for a spin based play may sound counter productive, but there's something abt the feel they provide that lets me loop to my hearts content without worrying abt making a mistake.

Yogi was pretty smack on when he said the arctic wood is a loopers blade, played 2 sessions and loving it soo far. Will drop in a review after a week. Though i must say, not a big fan of the new legend handle, the handle near the neck area feels too narrow vertically (not 'thick' enough basically), and also, I love the quality and hand feel of the wood used on the infinity handle, not soo much on the arctic wood. If the nostalgia series have the same kind of handles, I'm definitely not going to be trying them.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2018 at 5:49am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Whats "Nostalgic" about taking a Classic blade and making Wenge outer plies instead of Limba?
But hey, it's just a name. Looking forward to your playing impressions.

Here's what's "Nostalgic":

Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2018 at 6:59am
No more legend handles from Stiga.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2018 at 7:09am
Nice looking blade but Offensive classic Stiga serie is legend compare to this. Too bad speed glue ban makes offensive classic into shadow :/
Blade: Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: Victas V > 15 Extra
BH: Victas V > 15 Extra
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 7:37pm
Stiga always leads the curve on marketizing and gimmicry.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2018 at 2:19am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

No more legend handles from Stiga.

Yes, that's why I keep pair of these LEGEND handles model STIGA ALSER OFFENSIVE EVOLUTION (red lens) I am still wondering which blade to use for them.

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2018 at 2:28am
Originally posted by opinari opinari wrote:

Completely different blades as playing skills if you note Hadraw SR.
Nostalgic is very hard blade and by my opinion it has not any control if it is combined with fastest rubbers on the market, or could be a blade only for non-stop playing professional players with short movements.
And yes, I was surprised it is "fake" ranked as OFF- blade, because if you find some 95-96 grams sample - it should be OFF+++
Hadraw SR for example I used several month in France and this is completely different blade. More softer, better control.
Maybe closer to Nostalgic is Hadraw VR, but I haven't played this model.

Edited by kolevtt - 09/30/2018 at 2:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic